Trump signs into law U.S. government ban on Kaspersky Lab software

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
President Donald Trump signed into law on Tuesday legislation that bans the use of Kaspersky Lab within the U.S. government, capping a months-long effort to purge the Moscow-based antivirus firm from federal agencies amid concerns it was vulnerable to Kremlin influence.

The ban, included as part of broader defense policy spending legislation that Trump signed, reinforces a directive issued by the Trump administration in September that civilian agencies remove Kaspersky Lab software within 90 days. The law applies to both civilian and military networks.

“The case against Kaspersky is well-documented and deeply concerning. This law is long overdue,” said Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, who led calls in Congress to scrub the software from government computers. She added that the company’s software represented a “grave risk” to U.S. national security.

Kaspersky Lab has repeatedly denied that it has ties to any government and said it would not help a government with cyber espionage. In an attempt to address suspicions, the company said in October it would submit the source code of its software and future updates for inspection by independent parties.

U.S. officials have said that step, while welcomed, would not be sufficient.

On Tuesday, Christopher Krebs, a senior cyber security official at the Department of Homeland Security, told reporters that nearly all government agencies had fully removed Kaspersky products from their networks in compliance with the September order.

Kaspersky’ official response to the ban did not appear to contain any information that would change the administration’s assessment of Kaspersky Lab, Krebs said.

Source: Trump signs into law U.S. government ban on Kaspersky Lab software

kunnusingh

Journeyman
When Indian Govt. Will wake up and ban google from collecting data via android sync (contact sync), Whatsapp, etc..

amjath

Human Spambot
When Indian Govt. Will wake up and ban google from collecting data via android sync (contact sync), Whatsapp, etc..
You are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the contract from Google. US have problem with Russia and they thinks Kaspersky might snoop data to Russian servers. But here we dont even care about Aadhar databse's security, why we need to worry about Google.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Next move will be on Samsung mobile phone in USA. Huh
Samsung is from South Korea,one of the 2 major US allies in Asia(other being Japan) & I agree with this decision.It is not like Kaspersky is the only AV company in the world with some unique futuristic tech.Also now that it is established that Russia did engage in some form of covert meddling with US elections,why should a russian AV product is allowed in sensitive US govt computers.US govt has the money & it can buy another equally good AV to use.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
US and Russia will always be Rivals to each other.
I feel that Russia is better and US just wants to be the No. 1 powerful country in the world.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
US and Russia will always be Rivals to each other.
I feel that Russia is better and US just wants to be the No. 1 powerful country in the world.
You feel wrong,the very fact that you can make this post while typing on a PC sitting comfortably itself is proof of that.USA is no angel but make no mistake,after all said & done it is the only nation in the world that has the credentials to somewhat justify its status as world's sole superpower.USSR,the only other superpower could never made such claims(read about Gulag prison camp of USSR,Guantanamo is nothing in front of it) & those who thinks China will also are wrong(try searching Dalai lama while sitting inside China).

Top Bottom