Trouble With Hard Disk

sameerwni

Spiritual Eternity
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2039 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152624 MB, Free - 133090 MB; F: Total - 204798 MB, Free - 93017 MB; G: Total - 204798 MB, Free - 108003 MB; J: Total - 217529 MB, Free - 132298 MB; K: Total - 326736 MB, Free - 93330 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, MS-7267, 4.0, To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

My System Config. is above, It had pre-installed 160 GB Western Digital HD. About 4 months back I bought a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Desktop GP Sata Drive as an additional Hard Disk.I used the 160GB Drive completely for OS installation and the 1TB drive to store data.It worked fine till last week, when i started my PC I found that all the partitions present on the 1TB drive are gone.All i could see was only the 160GB which I had choosen as C drive.
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error4.png
I opened the disk management system and found that the 1TB drive is recognised as an invalid drive.I tried to reactivate but it posed an error.
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error.png
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error2.png
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error3.png
I thought that drivers might be corrupt and uninstalled and installed the drive via device manger, but of no help.I left the PC on for sometime and went away.When i returned I found all the drives had came back and everything worked fine.But after 3 days it happened all again and this time they didn't returned of their own.I doubted on the os and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7,during installation the only drive I could see was the 160GB one but once the installation completed all my drives were there again working nice and fine.
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/normal.png
But after just one night it struck again and all was gone.
I used western digital lifeguard data diagnostics and did a simple test it showed all fine,but when I performed a extended test it failed and showed error "Too many bad sectors".I thought my hard disk is corrupted and turned off my PC.
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error5.png
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error7.png
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/error8.png
But to my surprise the very next day all the drives were back and when I ran the diagnostics again(took more than 3 hrs) it showed all the drives are perfect.I tried chkdsk using cmd and various other diagnostic tools but all show my HD in good health.
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/3hrs.PNG
*samsoftpedia.co.cc/images/pass.PNG
I am seriously confused what to do, my HD is still under warranty so I can easily replace it but what to do with more than 600 GB of data that I have in it.
Please help.

dvd420

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I too had the same trouble... And finally discovered that my HD was fine. I had noticed heating problem also with it. During the course of trial & error, I discovered that the culprit is my SMPS. The WD Green HDs are power hungry...
Since I changed the SMPS everything working fine now. Maybe you too can try

OP
sameerwni

sameerwni

Spiritual Eternity
I had some trouble with my smps fan as it used to stop on its own but after a few cleans it went straight, may be it is the reason.I will surely check that.Thanks for reply!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - change data and the power cable ( coming out from PSU ) of the HDD. Connect the HDD into a different port on mobo.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
also if you can back up your data on 1TB WD hard disk it would be better as its shown to have bad sectors once
and you can give your WD hdd for RMA let them decide if there's some problem with your hdd
better safe than sorry!!

Top Bottom