[Trick] Convert folders to system executables

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi folks,

This very old small trick we used in XP OS to convert any Folder into a Recycle Bin or My Computer,etc

Step:
1. Right click the folder u want to convert lets say folder name is "My Data"
2. Select Rename and rename it to "My Data.{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}" without quotes
3. Now refresh (if needed)..and voila! the folder is converted to Recycle bin :thumbs:
If you click on it, you will directly go to Recycle Bin/My Computer rather than inside the Folder. :mrgreen:

Now to get back to original folder u can't rename it again bcoz u won't see the alphanumeric codes (GUID) while renaming.
so use CMD for the same.

Now to open cmd what you will do
1.either click on cmd shortcut (if available on desktop)
or [Win] + R --> typing cmd & pressing enter and then inside cmd u will navigate to desired path e.g: D:/../../ (ahha :pullhair: so hectic if u hide files to a long hierarchy level)

No..don't do that [Bonus trick] just press shift & right click inside the folder where u want to do the conversion
and u will see "Open Command window here"
...then u will directly open the cmd with that path (so easy isn't it :mrgreen:)

ok get back to the trick now :cool:

type this inside cmd (off-course)
ren My Data.{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} My Data

and u will get back the normal folder
remember don't forget to put the dot .

Good news is that you can convert to many system exes (u just have to use the code with dot)
but there is one minor Bad news also (read @ the end inside spoilers)

currently I know four codes
Recycle Bin: {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
My Computer: {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
Control Panel (XP Only): {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
Internet Explorer: {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

I will post many other if I get them :-D

If u check the properties of the converted folder u can still see the actual size of that folder but not the contents

How it works:Renaming just converts the type to system executables no magic :chinscratch:
just changing GUID (thanks to whitestar_999 for mentioning it Kudos :toast:)

I have confirmed this works in Windows 7 too...I hope windows 8 users can test it also and confirm

Note: this is obviously not my work its inbuilt in MS but u can still say "Thanks" :mrgreen:

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
these strings are called GUID & are stored in registry.these are used as shortcuts to access various system functions & are also designed to work with folders name so renaming any folder xyz to xyz."valid GUID string" will result in creation of a shortcut to that GUID string assigned function.there is a big difference from XP though as now folder name clearly shows full folder name including GUID part while before in XP folder name remained same & GUID part remained hidden.

here is the official microsoft list of GUID for windows 7/vista:
*msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee330741(v=vs.85).aspx

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

these strings are called GUID & are stored in registry.these are used as shortcuts to access various system functions & are also designed to work with folders name so renaming any folder xyz to xyz."valid GUID string" will result in creation of a shortcut to that GUID string assigned function.there is a big difference from XP though as now folder name clearly shows full folder name including GUID part while before in XP folder name remained same & GUID part remained hidden.
GUID yes

but I am on windows 7 and its still working and renaming doesn't show guid

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*i.imgur.com/9ZeIycd.png

btw control panel GUID you posted is for XP & does not work with other windows.GUID is different for every windows version(XP,VISTA,7,8).

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^yes I edited the control panel above

but recycle bin is working here can't replicate like the screenshot u posted

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
on my PC GUID part is always visible.tried cmd in admin mode & hiding system files/folders but still no effect.i am using windows 7 ultimate SP1 32bit with all the security updates released until today.

ratul

█████████████████
works for me.. :D (win8x64)
after attaching GUID: *s23.postimg.org/455willev/Capture.jpg
after removing GUID: *s23.postimg.org/70izpgpev/Capture1.jpg

Top Bottom