TravelMate 3212NWXMi - Urgent RAM Upgradation...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandoghosh

Broken In
TravelMate 3212NWXMi - Urgent RAM Upgradation...!!!

Respected nerds, techs, geeks and dear fellow members,

After months and years of waiting and speculation; I (poor soul who managed to purchase laptop first time in life) purchased one laptop few months back - TravelMate 3212NWXMi -

Presently by default the laptop came with -

1. 60 GB Hard Disk
2. 256 MB DDR II

Now I am finding that both of the above is posing as a terrible constraint in my use of laptop.

The laptop is terribly slowly and I find it very diffcult to use in reading word documents; PDFs etc...

I want to upgrade RAM as Maximum as possible...

From my preliminary analysis; what appears to me is that there may be two slots and maximum each slot can take 1 GB each...(I may be wrong)...

Few Questions in context of RAM Upgradation:

1. Is it wise to go for 1 GB each slot so that laptop is having 2 GB RAM...????

2. Does RAM of 2 GB will really boost speed of laptop like desktop...????

3. Which company (like transcend; hynix; zion etc etc; I am not sure) should i purchase these two RAM 1 GB each chip...????

4. Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

5. Does DDR (DDR 1) and DDR 11 really vary significantly in speed...???

Any help / advice / suggestion is more than welcome....Plz reply to my above questions...!!!!!

Best regards

Sunando Ghosh
Kolkata India

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

Most Most IMP Question:

Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

I know certainly that I have asked too too many questions but then I most humbly rqeuest to plz plz come forward and give ur valuable / advice / opinion as I WILL BE BASING MY ENTIRE DECISION BASED ON REPLIED HERE....

Thanks for taking time to read this long post and possibly taking time to reply and sharing ur valuable wisdom...its truly appreciated....

Last edited:

d

Journeyman
yea you can put in 2 cards of 1 gb each.. though you can check what the max for your mobo is.. though at present.. for running windows xp.. 1 gb is fine.. for normal tasks.. 2 gb is sorta superfluous.. as for compatibility.. get a good brand like transcend.. . as far as i know, asus doesnt have any branded RAM.. to be on the safe side, use CPU-Z to see what RAM's already there in your laptop.. get the same brand..

Last edited:
OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
Hi thanks for ur replies....

I am attaching two screenshots.....

1. The RAM Test shown by website *www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

*img305.imageshack.us/img305/6817/crucialsystemtestcm3.th.jpg

2. User Manual of Acer laptop 3210 extract for RAM...

*img445.imageshack.us/img445/2849/aceruserguideuy6.th.jpg

I really dont know how fast is 533MHz but was just wondering whether Laptop Acer 3212 (3210 series) is also capable of having higher speed RAM (more than 533 MHZ) and are DDR 2 RAM with speeds more than 533 MHz available in market....

Plz be kind to clarify once again my queries....

Thanks always

Sourabh

Laptoping
Hey, just chuck the existing stick, get a pair of 512MB ddr2 533 Mhz RAM. That is the fastest you can get. Wouldnt cost you more than 5k. Since they would be of the same make and chipset, there wont be any compatibility issues. Moreover these would be freakin brand new, good memory bandwidth - just what you need for that extra zing in your laptop.

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
"get a pair of 512MB ddr2 533 Mhz RAM. That is the fastest you can get. "

This implies that in Kolkata I would be able to get Max 533 Mhz RAM DDR2 and it would be compatible with my laptop...

I also hope from ur reply that the requirement is that both the RAM sticks must be of exact same specification that is both should be 533 MHz DDR2 and from same manufacturer....

I hope transcend would be available....

Also just wondering are 1 GB RAM sticks for laptop available in india or not...???

Thanks for ur reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom