Trackers has no reply

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I am using Utorrent for a long time.
and while downloading any torrent the following three status is displayed in the trackers section
1. working
2. connection timed out
3. offline (timed out)
4. remote host refused to connect
5. Tracker reply has no peers field

What is the meaning of "Tracker reply has no peers field" ?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I am using Utorrent for a long time.
and while downloading any torrent the following three status is displayed in the trackers section
1. working
2. connection timed out
3. offline (timed out)
4. remote host refused to connect
5. Tracker reply has no peers field

What is the meaning of "Tracker reply has no peers field" ?
That means your ISP is trying to block some torrents.
For ex: ACT Hyderabad does not block any torrents but ACT Nellore blocks every torrent site, even the popular ones.
So I use a VPN

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

That means your ISP is trying to block some torrents.
For ex: ACT Hyderabad does not block any torrents but ACT Nellore blocks every torrent site, even the popular ones.
So I use a VPN

Is it ?

because I checked with a tracker name in the list which is working for one torrent but for another the no reply message is displayed

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check whether the tracker is http or udp. If it works on some torrents but not on others then it may also mean that ISP is trying to force connect you to local peers(aka peers in India) on those torrents where it is not working while on others it doesn't do so resulting in connecting to peers abroad.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even ACT Nellore doing the same & I dont know about other regions where ACT operates but ACT Hyderabad does not stop torrents.

@Zangetsu

You can check this by clicking on peers tab on the torrent where trackers are showing this message(& even if they don't show this message) & check the IPs of peers. If majority of peers are like 10.x.x.x then it is ISP doing some kind of forced peering resulting in peers abroad not getting connected. This is why I prefer a seedbox,no hassle & 24*7 connectivity starting from ~Rs.250/month for 100gb seedbox.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

so, it means that the abroad peers are not connectable due to ISP redirecting the requests to local peers.
Even though the torrent is downloading properly but with some of peers showing this message.

Is this reducing my expected downloading speed ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
so, it means that the abroad peers are not connectable due to ISP redirecting the requests to local peers.
Even though the torrent is downloading properly but with some of peers showing this message.

Is this reducing my expected downloading speed ?
May be.I often see some torrents on which I am unable to connect to seeders/peers even if torrent website showing seeders available but I am always connected to many local IPs with address range 10.x.x.x.(but they always have very low % of file so practically useless as peer). I am planning on getting a seedbox again & will test this theory by downloading these same torrents on seedbox to see if they connect to seeders/peers,if they can then it confirms ISPs tinkering with torrenting is affecting download speeds/connecting to peers.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
plagued with similar issue by ISP. Can download files almost at 10MBps but torrent speed sucks though not for every torrent.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can we name and shame the ISPs that do this?

Hopefully someone who has a choice will decide better.
Doubt it will have any effect.In fact most smaller ISPs/cable providers don't even know about this issue(or that it is actually implemented in their system). I guess it is some kind of addon/feature(like save network bandwidth cost) buried deep in T&C of whichever bandwidth provider these small time ISPs/cable net providers use.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
My ISP which is ACT here in my native place blocks P2P so I use a VPN to download torrents but in Hyderabad same ISP does not block. I don't know the reason why.

Which VPN service you are using ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you. Going to try it out.
Try Windscribe Free plan is good & paid plans start from only $2/month(using build your own plan option) with unlimited data/port forwarding/1 location(add another location for $1 each but I think 1 location is enough preferably USA/Canada/EU).

Top Bottom