Touchscreen not working, can use with OTG mouse

BhargavJ

In the zone
Yesterday, after coming home, I switched off the phone (Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1), then took some sanitizer in my hand and rubbed it on the phone. This is something I've been doing for quite some time. After about five minutes, I turned on the phone, and it was working properly. About two to three hours later, I found that the touchscreen has stopped not working.

I connected a mouse via OTG and made a backup of all the important data. Apart from the touchscreen, everything else is working properly. I have tried factory resetting it, but to no avail. The only option I can think of now is to take it to a local shop, but before I do that, I thought I'd ask you all if you have any suggestions.

:(

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like a hardware issue. I think the only thing to do is to get it serviced.

Perhaps the sanitizer may have leaked into the phone somehow and damaged the touchscreen connector.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Yesterday, after coming home, I switched off the phone (Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1), then took some sanitizer in my hand and rubbed it on the phone. This is something I've been doing for quite some time. After about five minutes, I turned on the phone, and it was working properly. About two to three hours later, I found that the touchscreen has stopped not working.

I connected a mouse via OTG and made a backup of all the important data. Apart from the touchscreen, everything else is working properly. I have tried factory resetting it, but to no avail. The only option I can think of now is to take it to a local shop, but before I do that, I thought I'd ask you all if you have any suggestions.

:(

From what I see, The ethanol breaked the water resistant seal and entered through it in the phone. Chances are it may have vapourised inside and condensed between the LCD panel and touch digitizer or between the ribbon cable connecting the screen to mobo, atleast thats the case with samsung phones, as long time use of samsung phones in hospitals causes this due to high concentration of ethanol there.

And the service man did repair it for free as it was under warranty. For your case, He may charge a little bit as service charge, but will not charge for digitiser as most probably, it is not damaged. Till then, keep it switched off and send for repair.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I sure hope it's a minor issue which costs 2 to 300 rs at most. If I have to replace the screen... :wah::wah::wah:

See, digitizer aint that expensive, maximum 700-800 rs.But if the LCD screen is damaged, Or the whole folder needs to be replaced, price may go to maximum 1700-1800

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
I asked a local shop, they said that the touchscreen alone isn't replaced, it's a combo of touchscreen and display, and it would cost 2500 to 3000. I called the Asus service center; he said the same thing about it being a combo and he said it would cost between 4 and 5k. Seems like it won't be possible to get it repaired cheaply.

Amazon and Flipkart have mobile exchange offers but they need a working phone. Is there any site which allows a non-working phone for exchange?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I asked a local shop, they said that the touchscreen alone isn't replaced, it's a combo of touchscreen and display, and it would cost 2500 to 3000. I called the Asus service center; he said the same thing about it being a combo and he said it would cost between 4 and 5k. Seems like it won't be possible to get it repaired cheaply.

Amazon and Flipkart have mobile exchange offers but they need a working phone. Is there any site which allows a non-working phone for exchange?

Both of them are overcharging. Though it is true that the folder comes in duo only but still the touch screen can be removed by applying heat and all. And I dont think that in your case, it is a big issue, can be fixed by simply checking the Touch screen ribbon on PCB. Also, instead of Spending 4-5k for just the screen one can get a newer one...

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have opened the phone once and connected and reconnected the fingerprint sensor, battery and touchscreen cable. I was hoping reconnecting the touchscreen cable might solve the problem, but no such luck.

To remove the touchscreen by applying heat, you need specialized equipment; it can't be done at home, right?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Happened same to my Redmi 4 dual while sanitizing. It was only a month old phone and I got the screen replaced. Lesson is - never ever spray the sanitizer directly on the phone. Use your hand instead.

Yupp, And although this shouldnt happen, but due to some moisturisers and other chemicals in sanitizer it happens. One can buy pure ethanol for it instead as it will be a better option and will prevent that.

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
Happened same to my Redmi 4 dual while sanitizing. It was only a month old phone and I got the screen replaced. Lesson is - never ever spray the sanitizer directly on the phone. Use your hand instead.

By the screen, do you mean the touchscreen and display both or only the touchscreen? And how much did it cost you?

What about others, do you sanitizer your phone after returning home, and if so, how do you do it? I've switched to another phone temporarily, and I sanitize that as well, but now, I spray the sanitizer on a piece of cloth and then rub it on the phone, instead of taking it in the hand and rubbing it on the phone, as I did with the Asus phone.

Yupp, And although this shouldnt happen, but due to some moisturisers and other chemicals in sanitizer it happens. One can buy pure ethanol for it instead as it will be a better option and will prevent that.

I had thought of buying rubbing alcohol but for killing the coronavirus, there should be some amount of water in the sanitizer so that it doesn't evaporate too soon:

*blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/why-is...than-99-isopropanol-and-what-is-ipa-used-for/

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
Got it replaced today. Cost rs. 2500, the repair man said it's a combo kit. When I asked him if it is an original Asus display, he said no, it's a duplicate, and it has no warranty.

Anyone here has experience with such duplicate screens, like how long they last?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Got it replaced today. Cost rs. 2500, the repair man said it's a combo kit. When I asked him if it is an original Asus display, he said no, it's a duplicate, and it has no warranty.

Anyone here has experience with such duplicate screens, like how long they last?

Last time i got my display changed, nothing went wrong with it until I decided to discard it due to slow performance. Yours shud too last 1-2 yrs easily.

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
Last time i got my display changed, nothing went wrong with it until I decided to discard it due to slow performance. Yours shud too last 1-2 yrs easily.

That's good to hear. By slow performance, do you mean the performance of the phone or only the display?

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
Ok.

I'm thinking of giving the phone in exchange. Amazon is giving Rs. 3650 as exchange on Redmi Note 9 Pro (4 GB, 128 GB), with sale price of Rs. 14999, while for Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (6 GB, 128 GB), they are giving Rs. 5650 off (from price of Rs. 18499). The only problem is that these are Chinese phones.

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Ok.

I'm thinking of giving the phone in exchange. Amazon is giving Rs. 3650 as exchange on Redmi Note 9 Pro (4 GB, 128 GB), with sale price of Rs. 14999, while for Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (6 GB, 128 GB), they are giving Rs. 5650 off (from price of Rs. 18499). The only problem is that these are Chinese phones.

Also, After you change your phone, you will not like the UI, as you are shifting from stock to MIUI,
Tell your preferences, like what all features you need.

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
The only reason I'm thinking of buying a new phone is that the Asus one has been repaired and might give problems later. I haven't actually decided yet.

As for MIUI, I won't use it, I'll probably install a custom ROM, as I've used MIUI before and it gives a lot of ads, even after following guides on how to remove ads.

I don't have much preferences, mainly a Snapdragon processor, and a large screen. There are quite a few mobiles with these two things - Poco X3 and Poco M2 Pro apart from Redmi Note 9 Pro have everything I need, but they're Chinese ones, and I'd prefer a non-Chinese one as far as possible. I'd like a Samsung device but they have Exynos processors and don't have custom ROM support. At least, not the ones below Rs. 20k, as far as I know. There's also Motorola One Fusion Plus, but that's slightly costlier. The best ones, at least as far as value for money goes, are all Chinese ones. :(

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
The only reason I'm thinking of buying a new phone is that the Asus one has been repaired and might give problems later. I haven't actually decided yet.

As for MIUI, I won't use it, I'll probably install a custom ROM, as I've used MIUI before and it gives a lot of ads, even after following guides on how to remove ads.

I don't have much preferences, mainly a Snapdragon processor, and a large screen. There are quite a few mobiles with these two things - Poco X3 and Poco M2 Pro apart from Redmi Note 9 Pro have everything I need, but they're Chinese ones, and I'd prefer a non-Chinese one as far as possible. I'd like a Samsung device but they have Exynos processors and don't have custom ROM support. At least, not the ones below Rs. 20k, as far as I know. There's also Motorola One Fusion Plus, but that's slightly costlier. The best ones, at least as far as value for money goes, are all Chinese ones. :(

Moto is also chinese after acquisition by lenovo. Your current asus phone will easily last 1 more year, So only upgrade if you want to or feel like your phone is slowing down. Still if you want to buy then, there is Moto G9 power, which has both sd processor and custom rom support.

Samsung might launch some good and powerfull phones in Q2 2021, as per leaks, and by then Asus will also come with some Budget offerings, So if you can wait more, like 6-8 months more, you will get much more options. As I also want to buy one, I am waiting till march 2021

Top Bottom