tool to make sure that my hdd has problem

lokeshnurpuri

New to this forum
Hi!! I have 500gb wd passport which was running fine. But from few days, whenever i open any folder from it, its taking lot of time. I never connected it to any other PC. I tried coping files from it to my internal hdd but it was taking lot and lot of time. Is there any tool by which i can make sure that this hdd got problem, so that i can send it for replacement as it is still under warranty.

RBX

In the zone
Tools are available on both WD and Seagate websites which can be used to run tests on the drive. Alternatively, you can try HD Tune.

Gollum

Collector
I suggest you to Buy a new similar sized HDD and backup all your data to be on the safe side.
Don't wait for it to fail on you and take all your data along with it.

Lincon_WD

WD Official
Hi lokeshnurpuri,
I agree with other users, to test the drive you may also download WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and run the quick test on your external HDD to confirm if there is any damage.
How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows
Beside that, you may follow the troubleshooting steps below.
1) Try to connect your external HDD using a different USB cable.
2) Try to connect external HDD through a different USB port on your PC.
3) Try to connect the external HDD to another Computer if possible and see if its the same.
If the external HDD is damaged you may send it For RMA (Return merchandise authorization). You may visit the below link for RMA registration. You can also check the warranty before sending it for RMA from the same link.
WD Support / Warranty & RMA Services
Hope it helps.

hems87

Broken In
Hi!! I have 500gb wd passport which was running fine. But from few days, whenever i open any folder from it, its taking lot of time. I never connected it to any other PC. I tried coping files from it to my internal hdd but it was taking lot and lot of time. Is there any tool by which i can make sure that this hdd got problem, so that i can send it for replacement as it is still under warranty.

or if you can also test it by ubuntu live cd by using the dd utility

1. boot into ubuntu live cd
2. open terminal
3. change to root user by typing sudo su and press enter
4. find you drive letter by using the command lsblk
5. run the command dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/null bs=1M (where sdx is the drive letter of your usb drive could be sda, sdb, etc.. and bs is block size of data that is written. )

Warning: don't change another drive letter in place of null as this test will overwrite the data

Top Bottom