to my fello digitian new fathers

Quote from the article:

Kids who grow up using iPads and iPhones, for example, have no reason to know nor care about even the most basic facts, such as the differences between storage and memory.

I stopped reading after this.

sukesh1090

Adam young
You are talking about success and I'm referring to Genius/Natural talent, Let me put it differently...... Fast bowlers are born and not made....makes sense ???
i pulled out the meaning of genius and it says this :wink:
A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of an unprecedented leap of insight.
so if you strike out that genius and leave only "natural talent" then your statement holds good.if you add genius,then what i said will hold good according to me.

Exactly my Point. It is the people and not the IPAD that make them dumb and the article is simply rubbish !!!
+1.if that also implies to android then the article is utter rubbish :-D

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Its just the ignorance and lack of thirst for curiosity and knowledge.just byheart things get marks and get a job and earn money even if you don't know or like the work you do whole day in your job.

:+1:.

Oh, and why is this in news section?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@sukesh1090,genius is born with natural talent.you can not bat like Don Bradman or Sachin Tendulkar even if you were to taught cricket since childhood but you can become a successful batter with hard work,training & a little bit of sporting aptitude.Albert Einstein's theory of relativity was ahead of any thing at its time & just to give an idea:
How a NASA Experiment Proves Einstein Right, Again - TIME
the space agency's orbiting Gravity Probe B mission, or GP-B for short, has at last confirmed not one, but two of relativity's more subtle predictions — and it took only 51 years and three-quarters of a billion dollars to do it.

many people confuse talent with genius so here is a good way to remember it:
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@sukesh1090,genius is born with natural talent.you can not bat like Don Bradman or Sachin Tendulkar even if you were to taught cricket since childhood but you can become a successful batter with hard work,training & a little bit of sporting aptitude.Albert Einstein's theory of relativity was ahead of any thing at its time & just to give an idea:
How a NASA Experiment Proves Einstein Right, Again - TIME

many people confuse talent with genius so here is a good way to remember it:
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
That's the whole point,our dear Friends.
+1..............................+1..................................+1......................... to you,whitestar.
Being a very below common man and truly having average level of knowledge + intellect + intelligence,I have nothing to quote or comment or say.

flyingcow

Shibe
^^Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhauer at BrainyQuote
*i.brainyquote.com/photos/a/arthurschopenhauer385253.jpg
i dont know if this is where op took it from :)

Look buddy. We can help you in this. but, if we help now, you'll expect help later too. this way you'll never be able to learn anything and will always be dependent on someone. If something looks confusing, Google it and see what it means. There are numerous guides available for the purpose.

EDIT: befor it starts any confusion i wanted to tell that it is a brilliant quote too :)

^^Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhauer at BrainyQuote
*i.brainyquote.com/photos/a/arthurschopenhauer385253.jpg
i dont know if this is where op took it from :)

EDIT: befor it starts any confusion i wanted to tell that it is a brilliant quote too :)

I think you quoted me from a different thread :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i found this quote on a psychology forum thread debating nature vs nurture regarding genius.i believe that genius is born & even if environment is not favourable genius will find a way.environment significantly affects talent though so if a person has programming talent but never/very late taught computer course then his talent will be wasted or not utilized efficiently.genius however can not be wasted & even if he start preparing very late he will still left others behind in that field.

flyingcow

Shibe
^ yes genius is indeed born, the convolutions on your brain matter, the more the convolutions (i.e. the folded parts on the brain, that look like intestines) the more brainy(pun)/genius the person....atleast that is what i learnt....

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^ yes genius is indeed born, the convolutions on your brain matter, the more the convolutions (i.e. the folded parts on the brain, that look like intestines) the more brainy(pun)/genius the person....atleast that is what i learnt....

You are correct according to latest Medical Science Theories.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes, but it is still possible for someone who lacks intellect to gain some by constantly practicing. A persons intellect arises mainly from the number of connections in the brain. Therefore, the more you practice something, more connections are created which would increase your skill. Of course, you will have to practice a lot though. And of course, someone born with the brain of a genius would have an advantage always.

Edit : As for the OP, when PCs were popular, still most of the people did not know the difference between storage and memory. The same trend has continues to this day. The common folk will always try to shirk the burden of knowledge. Therefore, they will only try to know the bare minimum that they need to get their job done. That is why only those with an inclination towards technology and who genuinely yearn for knowledge would know the difference because they would seek it out on their own.

I learned about computers when I was 7-8 years old. My dad did not tell me much about computers but I had developed an appetite for technology and I started reading Rapidex computer books and understood the workings of the peripherals on my own.

But then again, in my time computers were a novelty and the only way I was exposed to one was when my dad's office was getting computerized for the first time and he bought home the above mentioned Rapidex books to learn to operate it himself. Therefore, I became interested in it because it was something new that I had never seen before and I got obsessed with the diagrams (I suspect that I may have had Aspergers, but I am not sure). Then in my school they had machines ranging from 286s to 486s and the sirs would occasionally open them up and I would ask them how each component worked.

Now that it is so common, everyone takes them for granted, even the kids who are exposed to them early. Also, since more and more devices are closed architecture, it is even harder for people to learn about the working of new devices. But I believe that the ones who have the temperament for and inclination to technology would gain knowledge towards it regardless of whether they are educated about it or not. You only need the right spark.

Edit : Also, the user interfaces these days are too "dumbed" down. Therefore, people can get the job done with relatively ease, further pushing people towards ignorance. However, those who have used the command line on various operating systems would know how they had to encounter various concepts of computing. Like using MSCDEX in order to use CDROM's with MS-DOS or the concept of mounting drives into folders in Unix systems.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@DesmondDavid,what you said applies to realising & fully utilize your talent.to put it simply:
talent+hard work/practice=success+good at work
but
genius(hard work or no hard work)>>talent+hard work

of course now-a-days people throw around genius word too lightly but if strictly going by standards of Newton,Einstein,Niels Bohr,Werner Heisenberg etc 99.9% of those people call genius will fail though they can be considered as extremely talented.a very good example of this is all those thousands of 160+ IQ people(Stephen Hawking's IQ is 160) who in today's world have much better technology & resources compared to old generation genius scientists & yet none of them can be considered as equivalent to those old geniuses.these high IQ people are extremely talented & with practice & hard work can achieve very good results but just because they have high IQ does not make them genius.

if a child has talent in technological field then with appropriate help(in form of early classes/exposure) will help but if a child is born genius then all these thing don't matter,as simple as that.of course if someone has no talent to begin with in pc/related areas then too it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom