Times Network acquires Digit from 9.9 media.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I miss old members and discussions here As @skeletor suggested r/IndianGaming is full of kids now and they know nothing about computers Also techenclave is a marketplace and also its discussion forum cant be as good as how much digit forum was
@Desmond we need something to bring legacy of old digit forum back

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I miss old members and discussions here As @skeletor suggested r/IndianGaming is full of kids now and they know nothing about computers Also techenclave is a marketplace and also its discussion forum cant be as good as how much digit forum was
@Desmond we need something to bring legacy of old digit forum back
TBH, a forum is only as good as it's members. For the legacy of the form to endure, it's members must stick together as well. :)

How about CTC? Crack the Code!
I was working on a CTC webapp but kind of shelved it because I ran out of time. Need to revisit it soon.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
We do have a Skoar Discord community, but people do not like Discord so much. We have many privacy conscious people in community, and others who like to use only OS software. The community is spread across WhatsApp, Element, Signal, Discord and Telegram right now anyway, with multiple groups on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram and people have added each other on Steam, FB, X... so not worried about continuation of community.

I'm sure there will not be too many drastic changes even if they have a strategy for the forum, at least for a few months. At most we can expect some promotions...

But yeah, it is always better to plan for a contingency in case it is sunset. Im more worried about preserving all the stuff that is here now first.

The transfer will happen on 1 June, so if we need anything that can be done as Digit when it is still independent as Times, we have max one day to plan and execute it.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
How about CTC? Crack the Code!
Lol Me and Raaabo used to do that mostly :) It did not generate as much engagement as we expected last time we tried it. First few times it was 100+ people who made it to the end, last time it was only around 16. Also same group was finishing first every time.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The transfer will happen on 1 June, so if we need anything that can be done as Digit when it is still independent as Times, we have max one day to plan and execute it.
Well what can be done in 1 day?
Maybe see if we can have the backend database of all forum members and threads and posts backed up.
So that in case things go south we can revive it in some other form. If nothing else then atleast as read only in archive format for posterity.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
All posts in the forum could be 10+ GB, I am not sure whether archive.org can crawl all of those posts in 1 day.
Well what can be done in 1 day?
Maybe see if we can have the backend database of all forum members and threads and posts backed up.
So that in case things go south we can revive it in some other form. If nothing else then atleast as read only in archive format for posterity.
I don't have access to the backend. I asked Mithun to give me access so that I can help resolving the DDOS attacks we were facing sometime back but did not get any response.

If I had access to the database, I'd store a dump on my local machine, just in case.

tamatarpakoda

Resident Villain
Staff member
Hello peeps!

Nothing is going to change for a few months. That's what we've been told. The new lords will be going over all the properties and assessing how to best leverage it in the meanwhile.

I can't give out backend access because there's an IP whitelist required and the IT guys already know the office IP address ranges. So things falling outside that will be difficult to justify.

setanjan123

In the zone
We'll have to host another instance if things go south. We haven't decided on the specifics yet. Just waiting and watching for now.

A Xenforo license for self-hosting costs a one time fee of $195. While this has lifetime validity, security updates after one year of use require $60 renewal every year. Features such as file manager, media gallery and faster searching cost extra. Plus a whopping $350 to remove the Xenforo copyright branding from the public pages of the site.

Infrastructure costs are separate and depend on the type of hosting solution you want to go with.
Aren't there open source forum software though. I guess the bigger challenge would be data migration.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't think you can clone the forum like that to archive.org.

You submit a link and the archive.org web crawler crawls your site. That's how a snapshot of the site gets created.

tamatarpakoda

Resident Villain
Staff member
Yeah but there's a chance that takedown notices might be issued if that happens. Companies protect their IPs quite ferociously.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Archive dot org does not work like that.

Like I said in another post, you submit a link and then a crawler will crawl the site and create a backup of the pages it can see. This is not the same as a database dump that holds all the data of the site.

Top Bottom