Time Display Error in Android Phone

Soumyajit

Novice
Hi,
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Duos while my wife has a Sony Xperia L.
Recently, while travelling to different locations in India (so no change of time zone) we have both observed that the time displayed by the android phones are grossly wrong. Restarting the phone didnt help. Only after an hour or so, the phone reverted to correct time.
Both the phones are running fully updated Android versions.
Time settings set at "Automatic Date and Time (Use network provided time)".
Can anyone tell me whats going wrong?
Regards

MANOfJosh

QA Professional
It has got something to do with Operator roaming. As suggested, you can uncheck automatic date and time. Additionally if you feel like doing time sync, there are apps in play store which can sync your clock at custom intervals from internet.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Using "Network provided time", and then complaining about time sync issues?
Seriously, Luffy's answer is the simplest solution, and you can do that if you are traveling. When you return to your home city, enable network time again.

Simples.

OP
S

Soumyajit

Novice
Using "Network provided time", and then complaining about time sync issues?

But, is the "Network provided time" supposed to be so unreliable? I thought systems nowadays are intelligent enough to realize that even if I am not in the home network, I am still within the limits of the country, and hence still using IST. Moreover, many times, the time difference wasnt just about a difference in zones... but randomly off the mark.

I have switched back to "Manual Time settings"... but am still wondering what would be causing this error? fault of the network provider? Or my hardware? Or software glitches?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I'm a regular traveler and never faced this issue. And my setting is same, automatic update with network. It is not possible that network times are wrong. Difference of a minute is also rare. The issue is something different.

@op - Going by your post, it occured in both phones?

BombayBoy

Journeyman
Looks highly unlikely. What does grossly wrong mean? Your phones show time for a different time zone?

I've used Android and even with custom ROM's never faced such an issue while travelling/roaming.

Top Bottom