The Ultimate Dilemma!

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Before someone asks me to fill the questionnaire, It is in the spoiler.

1. Budget? Around 15k. 18k max.
2. Display type and size? Around 4". WVGA or greater resolution. Pixel density doesn't matter. BTW, I am not a fan of big screens.
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? Bar
4. Preferred choice of brand? Sony, Nokia, HTC, Huawei. A big no to Samsung, MMX, and the likes.
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). Touchscreen. But, I have always wanted a physical keyboard. But, There are no worthy budget QWERTY smartphones.
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. I am not into photography and all. So, an average cam for occasional shots in day light would do the job. Flash, front cam and low-light photography are not necessary.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc). WP8, Android
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly. WiFi and 3G. I'm not too fond of NFC and 4G.
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? GPS, Magnetic Compass, A no non-sense Map. Will use Nimbuzz, Twitter and What's App and some other popular Apps. Some simple games for time-passing
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? Internet, Nimbuzz, Twitter, Messaging, Some 720p videos and MP3 songs.
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Lumia 720, Xperia L, Lumia 520 or Asha 302 + some tablet. No, I'm not trolling. I am in love with 302's design
12. Any other info that you want to share Looks matters the most

Well, I will be getting a new smartphone ( or a good-looking QWERTY phone) by next month. I can spend around 15k. I fell in love with the Lumia 720 at the first sight itself:mrgreen:. I even finallized to buy one. Then, came the Xperia L:evil:. Specs wise more or less both are same. I was confused between the both. The Android vs WP8 war started in my mind and the WP8 won because of my usage pattern.

I was clear about my decision until I came across the iPod 5G. I know It's a PMP not a smartphone. But, TBH I always wanted to get rid of the Calls, the main purpose of a phone. I usually remove the SIM from my phone. So, It looked apt for my usage. Who wouldn't love to have an Apple product? Since, my dad had an iPhone 3GS three or more years back, I have played with iOS well. So, I saw it's specs and the "Cortex A5" processor became the deal-breaker.:cry:

So, I was left with only L720. WP8, Live Tiles, .... Wait! I'll be using this phone for at least 2 years after purchase. So, Buying an Android and Installing custom ROM when I get bored of UI looks like a cool idea:cool:. But, I have to learn to live with frequent lags. I have used my bro's Sony LWW. I get anxious each time when it lags.:|

So, the dilemma became "Xperia L vs Lumia 720". This will be first smartphone I am going to own. (I have already used iPhones, BB, Android smartphones though). I felt 18k too much for a first smartphone. I am getting exactly the same processor and RAM with L520 as I'll get with L720, I don't use flash, NFC and front cam. So, Why pay 18k when I can have what I want at 10k. L520 got added to the list.

To add fuel to the fire, My cousin's BB Bold which had already stolen my heart with its looks and the physical keyboard came to my mind. I know It's not the right time to get a BB. But, I felt that I badly want a QWERTY keypad. So, I thought of getting a Asha 302 (6k) and some android tablet (12k). I really like 302's look and I saw it in a local store. It felt good.

Then, ... Wait! I can't think anymore Or else my brain will explode. Now, It's up to you digitians. Get me out of this dilemma.

P.S.
I don't intend to start a "iOS vs Android vs WP8 vs BB OS" debate.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Well Lumia 720 and xperia L are both good
If you are okay with limited apps then Lumia 720 or else L all the way,I read that google will pull out youtube app from win 8

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Increase your budget by 10K and get N4.:D kidding

Go with Xperia L.

Well Lumia 720 and xperia L are both good
If you are okay with limited apps then Lumia 720 or else L all the way,I read that google will pull out youtube app from win 8
Apps doesn't matter. But, Is it wise to invest in L720 when I am not going to use any of the extra features it has over L520? If Android is the way to go, then Why not I should get a Asha 302 and a Android Tablet?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
1. Specs don't matter on an iOS device. Apple writes iOS specifically for each of their devices and the "seamless" software and hardware integration translates into performance. Each device gets 3 years of support and you will receive 3 yeas of OS updates. Your dad has gotten iOS 6 too(which is great considering 3gs is an old device and Android phones of that era are more or less stuck on Android 2.x). If you do get the iPod remember though you'll need a device just about all the time to tether its internet connection.

2. Windows Phone devices will be lot smoother in the long run than an Android phone. But apps and restrictions which it has(similar to iOS) might turn out to be a problem. There's no guarantee how many years of updates it will get. Remember one doesn't have something custom ROMs for Windows Phone devices AFAIK(similar to iOS devices).

3. Android I think gives the best of both worlds. For every power user I'll recommend Android rather than WP. Sony might not release updates for the Xperia L as long as Apple does for it devices but the community will ensure that the phone remains relevant for 2 years atleast. Android can be customized in just about any way you want. Games and apps will also be available as most developers release apps for Android and iOS almost simultaneously.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
1. Specs don't matter on an iOS device. Apple writes iOS specifically for each of their devices and the "seamless" software and hardware integration translates into performance. Each device gets 3 years of support and you will receive 3 yeas of OS updates. Your dad has gotten iOS 6 too(which is great considering 3gs is an old device and Android phones of that era are more or less stuck on Android 2.x). If you do get the iPod remember though you'll need a device just about all the time to tether its internet connection.

2. Windows Phone devices will be lot smoother in the long run than an Android phone. But apps and restrictions which it has(similar to iOS) might turn out to be a problem. There's no guarantee how many years of updates it will get. Remember one doesn't have something custom ROMs for Windows Phone devices AFAIK(similar to iOS devices).

3. Android I think gives the best of both worlds. For every power user I'll recommend Android rather than WP. Sony might not release updates for the Xperia L as long as Apple does for it devices but the community will ensure that the phone remains relevant for 2 years atleast. Android can be customized in just about any way you want. Games and apps will also be available as most developers release apps for Android and iOS almost simultaneously.

+1.Well Explained

Empirial

Youngling
The Latest iPod Touch is powered by 1GHz Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 CPU known as Apple A5 SoC which is same iP4S. My vote goes to NL720 b'coz Android toh sab use kartein hai...kuch naya try karo...kuch toofani karo :D

lr7745

Broken In
But, I felt that I badly want a QWERTY keypad.

Can you wait and see the price of the BB Q5? It might just be what you want. Otherwise I'd say Xperia L.

Also, the processor on the iPod 5g isn't Cortex A5, it's Apple A5 (Dual Core Cortex A9+ PowerVR SGX543MP2). So performance is pretty good.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
The Latest iPod Touch is powered by 1GHz Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 CPU known as Apple A5 SoC which is same iP4S. My vote goes to NL720 b'coz Android toh sab use kartein hai...kuch naya try karo...kuch toofani karo :D
This is exactly my thought. I want to stand out of the crowd of Androids.

I completely forgot this point. And, Limited storage space is bugging me. So, iPod gets out of the list. BTW, My dad already sold the 3GS.

IIRC, Custom ROMs are there for WP7.x devices. But not all devices can be rooted to install Custom ROM. It may take some time for the WP Hackers to develop ROMs for WP8. As far as Apps are concerned, I'm fine with what's available in WP8. I don't play graphics intensive games too. Restrictions? Which one are you refering to?

Two things that keeps me away from buying an Android smartphone are battery backup and the frequent lags. But, I haven't JB till now. Some users at TDF report that JB gives better battery backup and is smooth. IDK, how far this is true. Moreover, Xperia L has 1700mAh battery compared to Lumia 720's 2000mAh.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Reading your posts, I have one last thing to say: go for the Lumia 720.
You want to try something different, go for WP. Yes the battery life of a Windows Phone is far better than Android counterparts IMO.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
One thing, If you get apple you will have the nuisance of itunes
WP8 is also Zune dependent to some extent despite having "Mass Storage", IIRC.

Reading your posts, I have one last thing to say: go for the Lumia 720.
You want to try something different, go for WP. Yes the battery life of a Windows Phone is far better than Android counterparts IMO.
If WP8 is the way to go, then What should I get? L520 or L720? Does the 8k more for L720 really worth it?

Nokia 302 + Asus Memopad 8GB (6+10=16k)
OR
Lumia 620 (14k)
OR
LG Optimus L5 (10k)
Asus Memopad is yet to get launched here. Correct me if I am wrong.
Optimus L5?? I find the Xperia L to be far better than this.
Lumia 620 is too thick for my liking.

Empirial

Youngling

If WP8 is the way to go, then What should I get? L520 or L720? Does the 8k more for L720 really worth it?

Buddy, WP8 phones are not at all dependent on Zune. IMO NL720 is worth the premium b'coz NL520 lacks ClearBlack Tech, Magnetometer (Digital Compass), Equalizer & the Battery Backup of NL720 is far better then both NL520 & 620.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl

its available ..check it out at flipkart.

the.one

In the zone
NL720 is still worth it IMO, though its pricier compared to 520. Even if u don't need the extra features, it's got a better display and cam that will be handy in the long run. Feels like a premium device too, in mid price range.

Get xperia l, if u can't live without the uncountable free apps. Its a well rounded phone too.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
its available ..check it out at flipkart.
Didn't check it.
Buddy, WP8 phones are not at all dependent on Zune. IMO NL720 is worth the premium b'coz NL520 lacks ClearBlack Tech, Magnetometer (Digital Compass), Equalizer & the Battery Backup of NL720 is far better then both NL520 & 620.

From your comments, It seems like I should prefer L720 over L520 anyday.

NL720 is still worth it IMO, though its pricier compared to 520. Even if u don't need the extra features, it's got a better display and cam that will be handy in the long run. Feels like a premium device too, in mid price range.

Get xperia l, if u can't live without the uncountable free apps. Its a well rounded phone too.

After seeing My bro's LWW getting it's screen cracked at its first meeting with the floor, I don't thing My dad would allow me to buy a Sony smartphone. Anyway, I will have wait for XL's reviews to get a clear idea.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Didn't check it.

From your comments, It seems like I should prefer L720 over L520 anyday.

After seeing My bro's LWW getting it's screen cracked at its first meeting with the floor, I don't thing My dad would allow me to buy a Sony smartphone. Anyway, I will have wait for XL's reviews to get a clear idea.

I think any phones screen will, get a tough,heavy case for the phone

Top Bottom