The Tale of Two OSes !

Status
Not open for further replies.

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
I have a pretty old system at home. An AMD 2500+ Sempron with 512 mb RAM.

I tested both Ubuntu 7.10 and PCLinuxOS 2007 in it. There were mixed results.

PCLOS 2007 worked quite fast but Ubuntu Gutsy was very slow. Logic would make me use PCLOS but I opted for Ubuntu which has got wonderful APTonCD. I do not have internet connection at home, so it made perfect sense to get the latest packages from office pc via aptoncd and update my home pc.

Here my only worry is the slowness of my home pc under Ubuntu..
Dont we have anything remotely like AptonCD in PCLOS???
This way I'll have the best of both worlds...snappy OS and latest packages !

praka123

left this forum longback
pclinux os or ubuntu for that matter doesnot offer you speed!
for your hardware,if at all you know Linux,you should go for archlinux+kdemod.

I know gentoo will be tough for n00b's after livecd got installer too.

for debian based distro.you should try antix.that is what a distro for low end systems means!
*antix.mepis.org

F

FilledVoid

If you don't have an Internet connection you shouldn't have installed either of them. Rather you should have gone for a distro like Sabayon PE 1.1 or Linux Mint instead. Just my 2 cents. I'm not in anyway say the other two distros you use wouldn't work fine without an Internet connection. I'm just saying that it would have been more appropriate since you would have a greater out of box experience than either of them.

Rahim

Married!
^+1. Mint(based on Ubuntu) would be the ideal choice as it comes with all Multimedia and Restricted Stuff pre-installed.

OP
W

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
Whatever you say Bhailog, I have seen the performances of all below-mantioned distros on my old PC with my own eyes !

I had a spare hard disk...so experimented with many distros.

For speed the No.1 prize goes to PCLOS and then Mandriva
For Real out of box experience and abundant repositories...1 is Mint 2 is PCLOS
For best guidance and support and help material...nobody can beat Ubuntu.

praka123

left this forum longback
mone, alex-e,you need to see how distros like arch and gentoo works smooth as makkhan :D

F

FilledVoid

mone, alex-e,you need to see how distros like arch and gentoo works smooth as makkhan

Lol @ mone dinesha! Anyway back to the topic.

For speed the No.1 prize goes to PCLOS and then Mandriva

Check out distros like what Praksh said or Crux

For Real out of box experience and abundant repositories...1 is Mint 2 is PCLOS
Without an Internet connection my vote goes for Sabayon. In Mint you stillneed to install some applications base don your preferences. Sabayon comes with a Plethora of them ir I recall correctly.
For best guidance and support and help material...nobody can beat Ubuntu.
I know I'll probably get stoned to death for saying it but here goes anyway. It has a wide user community . I agree with that. However getting quality help (not comparing with this forum) from ubuntuforums or its IRC channel isn't exactly as astounding as one would believe. Personally I have found linuxquestions to be more and I think that they would have answered a question regardless of the distro you use.

Anyway I'm happy with seeing you enjoying PCLinuxOS :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom