The Spotify Thread

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This thread is for sharing your Spotify profiles and playlists or songs so that we can follow each other and keep up.

So let me get this thread going, with this playlists:

Le clasics: Le Clasics, a playlist by wuodland12 on Spotify

This is a playlist of classic songs(mostly Rock) curated by me, @Desmond David and another friend of mine. Hope you guys enjoy it. Looking forward to your songs and playlists.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
===Quick links to all playlists===
Work | Rock + Electronica | This is what plays in Digit office
Le Clasics | Rock | by @thetechfreak and @Desmond David
Suicide Music | Melancholic | by @Desmond David
Desmond's Deathmetal Dungeon | Death Metal | by @Desmond David
carousel navy | Acoustic/ Indie | by @thetechfreak
Cycling | Alt Rock | by @cyberjunkie
Spilled Beans | Electronica + Shoegaze | by @Anorion
90s Tech | Dance | by @Anorion
Serrated Leather | Industrial | by @Anorion

===Playlists by Spotify===
Songs To Test Headphones With |Good Production|
Space Disco |Cosmic / Norwegian / Nu Disco |
Indian Classical Music for Studying |Hindustani Classical|
Classical music for Metalheads |Western Classical|

Game of Thrones: The End is Coming |Mostly Rock|

===Playlists Tools===
Playlist Randomizer: Permanently shuffles songs in playlist
Spotify Shuffler: Another service to permanently shuffle songs
TuneMyMusic: Import playlists from files or web services to Spotify
Boil The Frog: Goes from one artist to another using similar songs! This is great to bridge from one genre to another (say rock is going on and you want to move to progressive psytrance, use this)
Playlist Miner: Enter a mood, concept, word, year, activity etc miner picks out top tracks from public playlists
Rekl: More controlled way for creating collaborative playlists, you get a room key that is not open to all.
Spotlistr: Does a lot, but main thing is importing YouTube playlists
Magic Playlist: Enter a song and a mood, then let this tool do the rest
Spotibot: Quickly generate playlists around a single artist, prevents having to add all the singles and albums one by one
Setify: Make playlists based on performances at actual concerts
Setlist: Another playlist generator based on live shows
SortYourMusic: Powerful playlist sorting tool with BPM, length and popularity analyses, made by creators of Spotify itself
Smarter Playlists: Granular control over playlist automation, lets you modify and fine tune the algorithms for automatic playlist generation (cool stuff, check it out) [more details here]
Birthhits: Generate playlist based on what songs were popular on a particular day
Acrostify: Create playlists with secret messages
Shazam: Generates playlists from songs around you

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Suicide music - Suicide Music, a playlist by desmo)))nd on Spotify

Basically a mix of abstract, minimalist and melancholic music.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Better International music variety on Spotify than other services, only Prime comes close.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
/offtopic but, is there any site that stream FLAC quality or at least more than 320Kbps songs?
Spotify once had a survey for people if they were interested, but results said no.

Tidal might have it though. Not very familiar with it.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Oh you are woudland! Haha difficult to keep track of so many alts for everyone.
Here are some mellow songs with soft vocals. Use this while relaxing or sleeping.
Some 90s techno/dance (the songs are all from Best Dance albums of the late 90s). This is what I listen to while gaming.
And my playlist of industrial music. This is for work.

Yeah, I go by wuodland in some places too. Nice playlists. Thanks for sharing :D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Guys, enlighten an ignorant here.

Spotify vs. Gaana/PrimeMusic/Saavan ?
Overall, Gaana is really the best for a number of reasons detailed here.
But in the end, I had to pick Spotify because of the superior interface, and I absolutely need to scrobble my listens, and wanted the streaming service to support that. Do hope that their issues with Warner gets sorted and people in India get to enjoy their complete catalogue.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
/offtopic but, is there any site that stream FLAC quality or at least more than 320Kbps songs?
I doubt it as copyright protection mechanisms employed by such sites put restrictions on format type/bit rate.There is a reason physical media still exists despite the presence of netflix/amazon/itunes.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think Netflix and other streaming services use HTTP for streaming, and since FLAC can be streamed over HTTP, I think it is streamable. Copyright protection is a matter of encryption of whatever data is streamed and cached, and then decrypt it before playback.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Netflix and other streaming services use HTTP for streaming, and since FLAC can be streamed over HTTP, I think it is streamable. Copyright protection is a matter of encryption of whatever data is streamed and cached, and then decrypt it before playback.
Spotify/similar services deploy DRM in their streams which are not compatible with all formats.Steaming is not like sending data encrypted within an archive format like winzip which you download & then extract the original content inside.Streaming services use DRM on the fly meaning the audio/video stream originating from their servers itself is embedded with DRM & if the format is not compatible with it then it cannot work. This is also why using any "audio capturing method" from streaming services will always result in a lower quality compared to original stream.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
All video streaming sites brag about 4K content, I wonder why audio streaming services can't stream FLAC quality files!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
All video streaming sites brag about 4K content, I wonder why audio streaming services can't stream FLAC quality files!
Resolution & bitrate are different,those 4k streams have much lesser bitrate compared to "ahem 4k rips" & difference will be obvious to someone using a high quality large screen.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Spotify/similar services deploy DRM in their streams which are not compatible with all formats.Steaming is not like sending data encrypted within an archive format like winzip which you download & then extract the original content inside.Streaming services use DRM on the fly meaning the audio/video stream originating from their servers itself is embedded with DRM & if the format is not compatible with it then it cannot work. This is also why using any "audio capturing method" from streaming services will always result in a lower quality compared to original stream.
I agree that they use DRM, but they will still have to use HTTP as a protocol to transfer the data to the client device (unless they are using websocket, which I highly doubt). The media to be streamed has to be stored in a CDN somewhere as a file. When streaming, it will be transferred in chunks to the client device's cache (encrypted) and decrypted on the fly for playback (in-memory decryption for security purposes). As for the format, I don't know which format Spotify uses, but any format that can be streamed can be streamed encrypted as detailed above, which means that FLAC can be streamed similarly. Storage or other factors notwithstanding.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Resolution & bitrate are different,those 4k streams have much lesser bitrate compared to "ahem 4k rips" & difference will be obvious to someone using a high quality large screen.
But, ultimately it comes to data right?

More resolution = more data ?
Same for Bitrate too.

A 1 min clip of video would have varied size depending on its resolution, so, even after using the best compression technology you would end up streaming larger file.
Same for FLAC or high bitrate audio files too I guess.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, I think I've unintentionally high-jacked this thread with an offtopic discussion.

If @OP thinks this is alright, let this continue, else I would stay away from commenting on this further.

Top Bottom