The Slow Death of Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Windows XP is living its last moments. Each boot is counting down to the operating system's death. 2008 will be synonymous with the end of XP's phase-out process. It is a bleak perspective for
the operating system that has grown to be ubiquitous, but it’s an illustration of what is to come. Windows XP will simply be phased out, and customer demand will not impact this process.

The expiration date for Windows XP is January 29, 2008, as far as original equipment manufacturers and retailers are concerned. January 29, 2008 is the official Microsoft direct OEM and retail license availability end date. The Redmond Company will no longer offer Windows XP either to OEMs or to the general public starting with February 2007.

After the end of January 2008, Windows XP will be accessible exclusively to System Builders, but only until January 29, 2009. The 2008 and 2009 end of availability dates concern Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Home Edition and all the editions of Windows XP Media Center Edition.

But the bottom line is that as 2008 draws near, Microsoft will alter the agreements with computer manufacturers to focus exclusively on Windows Vista. “The OEM version of XP Professional goes next January," said Frank Luburic, senior ThinkPad product manager for Lenovo for APC. “At that point, they'll have no choice.”

Dell also managed to give an insight on XP's phasing out: “Dell recognizes the needs of small business customers and understands that more time is needed to transition to a new operating system.The plan is to continue offering Windows XP on select Dimension and Inspiron systems until later this summer. Dell does not have plans to launch Windows XP for home users as the preference and demand is for the “latest and greatest” technology which includes Windows Vista,” reads an excerpt from Direct2Dell.

While consumers will no longer be able to acquire personal computers preloaded with Windows XP starting with February 2008, the operating system will not disappear. Not even close, and I am willing to guarantee this. The most obvious argument is the fact that you are still able to buy Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows XP SP1 even today.

Source

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
It's only the death of Windows XP OEM editions. Windows XP will still rule most of our PC's. No doubt about that.

prateek_san

Phenom II X4 920 Owner
i dont think that manufactures will stop supporting XP.........cuz its the most widely used OS in the world currently....

jamyang312

Journeyman
i think updates will be stopped by microsoft coz they r the one who have decided to end its support,,,so logically they wont,,,but who knows,,??,,,

anandk

Distinguished Member
Kiran_tech_mania said:
It's only the death of Windows XP OEM editions. Windows XP will still rule most of our PC's.
i concur !

thanx for the read techie :D

rajasekharan

Youngling
what big diff is it going to make ?now a days i dont even update through windows update . i only update my antivirus and firewall . thats enough for me :).so i dont care if they stop making updates

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
well after using Vista I really feel XP is crap...But still it had been a good friend during my good & bad times...I will keep it alive;)...btw its not gonna die for atleast 2-3 years

emailaatif786

Always Questioning?
In developing countries, Windows XP will die a later death, because it is very tough for them to upgrade from 128Mb RAM to 1024MB, 32MB Video to 256MB, 20Gb HDD to 80 GB, 6Mhz CPU to 2.2 Ghz.....at an sudden to run Vista. they even are running Windows 98, 2000.

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
rajasekharan said:
what big diff is it going to make ?now a days i dont even update through windows update . i only update my antivirus and firewall . thats enough for me :).so i dont care if they stop making updates

That's right. The last time I updated was sep 2005 through Autopatcher, after that no updates. My only concern is if new softwares stop supporting WinXP too. That would be really bad.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Security updates will continue for XP for quite long I suppose. This completely depends on how quickly Vista penetrates the markets (read computers)

abhi.eternal

In search of light...
emailaatif786 said:
In developing countries, Windows XP will die a later death, because it is very tough for them to upgrade from 128Mb RAM to 1024MB, 32MB Video to 256MB, 8Gb HDD to 80 GB, 600Ghz CPU to 2.2 Ghz.....at an sudden to run Vista. they even are running Windows 98, 2000.

Don't you 8GB HDD a rarity these days... and 600Ghz CPU?

faraaz

Evil Genius
Its funny you should say that...8 GB HDDs today are more expensive than 80 GB HDDs...atleast, if you want to buy them new...resale value is a completely different monkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom