The Red Hat thread...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
I am asking some problems with RHEL5......, if anyone else have some kind of problems regarding this distro, post ur queries here.........

Some im facing now are:

1. How to mount the windows "ntfs" partition in RH, in both read/write mode ?? Why does red hat do not support ntfs ?

I tried it using ntfs-3g, but cant get successful in it now.

2. Do i configure this with themes n docks....etc etc as one can do in desktop versions like ubuntu ?? Where to get the resources ??

3. Tell me some gud sites for the .rpm packages / repostiories.

Plz ans it asap ...!!! :)

iinfi

mekalodu
1. i) configure yum repository
ii) yum install gcc
iii) yum install <kernel>-devel (devel packages of your installed kernel)
uname -a will show you the kernel
yum list available | grep kernel will show you the name of the kernel-devel package ...which you need to install
iv) download fuse and ntfs-3g from sourceforge. compile fuse with
./configure
make
make install
same with ntfs-3g
v) insert any USB drive formatted with ntfs and mount it using mount.ntfs-3g
2. dont know
3. rpmforge though i v not used it much
*rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/Using

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
hehee.....ya ya

i understood that, but quite busy, and fixed it today morning itself.

1. I already have configured yum b4 asking Q., the main problem was with the "fuse" due to which i was unable to mount using "ntfs-3g".

But now, i successfully compiled & installed fuse and then ntfs-3g.
Truly speaking, i got little confused by ur shortcut typo suggestion. :D

But thnx dude 4 ur quick response n concern...!!!

Now trying to figure out "shared folders" in VBox within RH.

Hey can u tell me a gud rpm torrent client like "Vuze" or "utorrent" .

iinfi

mekalodu
sry for the shorthand ... it was well past midnite whn i posted and the word 'RedHat' on the subject line made me click on the thread.
i dont use torrents with linux ... tell me if you find one..
i dont use vbox...wassup with shared folders?

i use vmware workstation 6.5 extensively.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
okkk.....
i'll definitely tell u if i find any rpm, for now i am thinking of using Vuze with Ubuntu which is my guest OS in VBox with RH as the host OS. :D

I cant leave ubuntu.....it was my first distro....!!! :D

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Sharing folders on Virtualbox is very easy.. just shut down the guest OS and add the folder address that you want to share.. make sure you give a name to it.. that's it.. it has always worked for me.. I'm using Fedora, the parent of Red Hat..

Transmission is a solid torrent client.. but if you want more control on everything then nothing, i mean nothing, beats KTorrent... its lightweight on resources..

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Okk.......

1. I am well aware of shared Folders, first have a look at my scenario...
Host OS : Red Hat
Guest OS : Ubuntu
[shared folders]
path = / (i.e., the whole redhat) ;)
sharename = root-redhat

Now i want that the shared folders should be auto-mounted on startup of ubuntu. I have tried to edit /etc/fstab, but its not working for me.......

There is nothing in the manual of VBox abt auto-mounting....

2. Auto-mounting is not working in Red Hat either.... Although, the ntfs partiotions (my windows) perfectly mounts using ntfs-3g manually. But i am confused what to add in /etc/fstab of RedHat to automount ntfs partition ??

3. If i am not wrong, Transmission is the default torrent client in ubuntu.......??
But bro, i am looking for a torrent client for Red hat (.rpm)

yaar.......ab tum log to confuse nahi ho gaye ?? :D

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
arey.. i'm using Fedora right now and it shipped with Transmission which is the default torrent client here.. but i uninstalled it and installed KTorrent...

For sharing the files or partitions between Fedora and Ubuntu you need to install NFS in Fedora.. and then you can easliy access the whole partition in Ubuntu...
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
For automounting the Fedora shared folders you need to install NFS on Ubuntu too.. and then you can edit your /etc/fstab file and make an entry of NFS and the shared folder there..

For mounting Windows partitions automatically, first make some folders like /windows/C n /windows/D in /media or wherever you want

Then your /etc/fstab file should be like

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/windows/C -o force
ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /media/windows/D -o force

(-o force is for forcefully mouting NTFS partitions if you haven't shut down Windows properly)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom