The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Plasma has actually become much more efficient these days. But for sake of ease of use, I suggest getting an ISO that has a desktop environment pre-installed so that you don't have to tinker around too much. Pretty much any light distro can extend the lifespan of your old laptops so to say. These days KDE and XFCE both use ~500MB of RAM only.
Tried Plasma, didn't like it, during removal I pulled the ultimate noob move and uninstalled sddm & lightdm :rofl:
Didn't occur to me till I restarted. Traced my steps back and got lightdm back. :bananana:
Pop OS felt slower than Mint xfce. Haven't tried Zorin yet.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Tried Plasma, didn't like it, during removal I pulled the ultimate noob move and uninstalled sddm & lightdm :rofl:
Didn't occur to me till I restarted. Traced my steps back and got lightdm back. :bananana:
Pop OS felt slower than Mint xfce. Haven't tried Zorin yet.
Pop OS used Gnome and IMO Gnome has become worse than KDE Plasma these days.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I have a similar machine which works fine with vanilla 18.04. Gnome is a bit heavy in 18.04. Better use another DE like Cinnamon or LXDE. They say that from 19.04 onwards Gnome performance has improved greatly. I am hoping that 20.04 will be an affordable release.

You can even try 16.04 with a lighter DE as it still has 2 more years support.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
People still tell their otp & install apps instructed over phone.No OS can make up for common precautions irrespective of which os one use.A person following basic guidelines using windows is safer than a person not following any guidelines while using linux. As for malware,wait until linux becomes mainstream because no serious malware author actually create malware for linux because it is simply not worth it.

You are right, basic knowing how to deal with situations and what to avoid is a must nowadays.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Looks like KDE and Cinnamon are the best alternatives for a Windows 7 user. I don't see why they won't be able to cope with MATE desktop as well. Works more or less the same way. Gnome Flashback can help too.

But when it comes to driver support, I think only Ubuntu has a wider catalogue.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see optional update to 1909 in backlog. Is it worth updating ? or should I remain in 1903 ?
Reviews are generally good but better make a system image so in case of any issues system can be restored quickly compared to relying on ms system restore/rollback/refresh.

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
have downloaded the Win 10 iso file (5.05 gb) ... bt cannot copy it on to an empty 32 gb usb ... any1 faced same issue ???

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
have downloaded the Win 10 iso file (5.05 gb) ... bt cannot copy it on to an empty 32 gb usb ... any1 faced same issue ???
is the USB partition in FAT32 format ? change it to NTFS as the limit in FAT32 is 4GB per file.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'll be testing Windows 10 LTSC 1909 on a vm to see if it has any issues. I don't think my father would like to move from windows 7 to linux :|

meetdilip

Computer Addict
The main issue of Windows 10 is that it will be slow at times. That is for a 1 -2GB update download. It won't ask for your permission. The system will be slow, the internet will be slow. I was unfortunate to use a 1 GB limit data connection on Windows 10. In an hour, 1GB was gone for updates.

If you are planning to use Windows 10

1. Either disable updates using at least 4 tricks available online
2. Take control of the updates. Don't let Windows download it for you

Check for updates and download it as per your convenience. That said, with Windows 10 updates are a bit too regular. If you are data shy, that is not going to help.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The main issue of Windows 10 is that it will be slow at times. That is for a 1 -2GB update download. It won't ask for your permission. The system will be slow, the internet will be slow. I was unfortunate to use a 1 GB limit data connection on Windows 10. In an hour, 1GB was gone for updates.

If you are planning to use Windows 10

1. Either disable updates using at least 4 tricks available online
2. Take control of the updates. Don't let Windows download it for you

Check for updates and download it as per your convenience. That said, with Windows 10 updates are a bit too regular. If you are data shy, that is not going to help.
I know how pesky windows 10 updates are and how bloated it is. That's where LTSC comes in. Though there is no problem with data limits, I'd rather not spend hours fixing windows 10 issues on very old laptop. :lol:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Didn't expect LTSC to be this smooth and less resource hungry. Ram usage was about 1-1.2GB with windows defender running on start which can be reduced further I think. AND no stupid bloatware :bananana:
Installed office 2019 and total disk usage was 18-19 GB.
It is different from regular 1909 ?

Top Bottom