The Mutual Funds Investment Thread

TheSloth

The Slowest One
From what I know, they are not making any new purchases of international stocks.
That is sad.

1. How to invest in international market?
2. What things I need to remember/follow when investing in international stocks?
3. Does international market has MFs or only stocks?
4. Any good/known MFs/Stocks?

That is sad.

2. What things I need to remember/follow when investing in international stocks?
No idea about investing abroad. There are brokers allowing you access to international markets, explore those.

4. There are many good domestic MFs, not sure if that's what you are asking.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is sad.

1. There are ways but not really recommended unless amt is large(10-20 lakh+) & you have time & effort to spend on managing your ITR.
3. There is no such thing as international mkt, you invest in another country's mkt which is just like here with stocks as well as MF.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Is it wise to invest in Tax Saver Equity Funds for 15+Years instead of investing in Large Cap?
I am already investing in the Tax Saver Equity Funds so thought I can continue to invest in it for as long as possible and instead of adding more equity funds, start investing in gold and bonds slowly? I am also investing in NPS with medium risk. Idea is to invest as much as possible now since I don't even know how long I will be having job.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it wise to invest in Tax Saver Equity Funds for 15+Years instead of investing in Large Cap?
I am already investing in the Tax Saver Equity Funds so thought I can continue to invest in it for as long as possible and instead of adding more equity funds, start investing in gold and bonds slowly? I am also investing in NPS with medium risk. Idea is to invest as much as possible now since I don't even know how long I will be having job.
ELSS have 3 years lock in period so anything beyond that is your choice. You also need to consider which tax system(old having higher tax rates but deductions under 80c etc or new having lower tax rate but no deductions) will suit you better as per your earnings.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
1. Even without 80C/D deductions, I am getting lesser tax under New Regime. There seem to be no benefit of locking money for 3 years now. What is everyone doing here?

2. I guess there is no point in doing Tax Saver funds anymore? Will these products stay in market? If these tax saver funds go out, will the investment be merged with their other equity funds or will be asked to withdraw the invested amount as per ELSS regulations?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Even without 80C/D deductions, I am getting lesser tax under New Regime. There seem to be no benefit of locking money for 3 years now. What is everyone doing here?

2. I guess there is no point in doing Tax Saver funds anymore? Will these products stay in market? If these tax saver funds go out, will the investment be merged with their other equity funds or will be asked to withdraw the invested amount as per ELSS regulations?
Many ppl also take home loan deduction & for them old tax system is still more beneficial so ELSS will stay in the mkt for the foreseeable future I think.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

You can only save Tax up to a permissible limit of Tax deduction the government has imposed. After that any extra income gained will be auto populated in your ITR form. Advisable to consult CA as they can help with Tax Savings.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
That is sad.

Best returns you'll get in our own country.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am invested in international market through Vested (using portal of Kuvera).
All my international investments are in Invesco QQQ fund (Nasdaq based index fund), and what I do is I transfer lump sum amount to SBM bank (which is US bank), and then SIP a fixed amount to buy units of QQQ fund.

I didn't find filling the ITR challenging, I just had to fill the Schedule FSI (details of income from outside India) and FA (details of foreign assets). Details were already provided by the Vested platform. My investments in QQQ is currently giving me 15% as of now. But I intend to buy and forget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am invested in international market through Vested (using portal of Kuvera).
All my international investments are in Invesco QQQ fund (Nasdaq based index fund), and what I do is I transfer lump sum amount to SBM bank (which is US bank), and then SIP a fixed amount to buy units of QQQ fund.

I didn't find filling the ITR challenging, I just had to fill the Schedule FSI (details of income from outside India) and FA (details of foreign assets). Details were already provided by the Vested platform. My investments in QQQ is currently giving me 15% as of now. But I intend to buy and forget.
Things are less complicated for you because you haven't realized any profits yet from your investment(aka haven't sold anything yet). Once you do then filing itr will be more complicated but more importantly have you looked at the effective tax you will be paying on profits from abroad. I think once you do then you might have to revisit your investment strategy.
*taxguru.in/income-tax/thinking-investing-stocks-india-brace-taxing-truth.html

P.S. SBM is State Bank of Mauritius & the bank you are using is Indian branch of SBM approved by RBI to operate here. It is not a US bank.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I got confused about bank. Seems like intermediately is JPMorgan Chase Bank where the exchange of currency happens. Foreign investing is very confusing. But that's why I like the process provided by Vested. It makes it all seamless, that I don't need to think about them.

And while I am not booking profits, it will remain that way. I will consult a CA once I decide to book. But as of now my investment horizon is long. (> 5 years). About taxes I assume the dollar becoming stronger takes care of it in some way.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
And while I am not booking profits, it will remain that way. I will consult a CA once I decide to book. But as of now my investment horizon is long. (> 5 years). About taxes I assume the dollar becoming stronger takes care of it in some way.
That's a good plan, definitely take help of a CA in future whenever booking profits.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I was invested in Mirae Equity Tax Saver fund to save tax and invest in equity market. Now that there is no benefit of tax deductions under new tax regime, I thought to stop investment in this and select some large cap fund since I plan to invest more than 10 years. But after comparing with other large cap funds, Mirae Tax Saver performed slightly better, I am thinking if I can just continue investing in this. Only downside I am seeing is lock-in period of units purchased and since I will do monthly investments, it might be troublesome in case of some emergencies.

How do you people think in this kind of situation? How do I conclude this?
Any large cap fund which I must avoid?

I plan to invest in mostly in large cap and small amount in mid/small cap.

I was invested in Mirae Equity Tax Saver fund to save tax and invest in equity market. Now that there is no benefit of tax deductions under new tax regime, I thought to stop investment in this and select some large cap fund since I plan to invest more than 10 years. But after comparing with other large cap funds, Mirae Tax Saver performed slightly better, I am thinking if I can just continue investing in this. Only downside I am seeing is lock-in period of units purchased and since I will do monthly investments, it might be troublesome in case of some emergencies.

How do you people think in this kind of situation? How do I conclude this?
Any large cap fund which I must avoid?

I plan to invest in mostly in large cap and small amount in mid/small cap.
ELSS MFs are similar to Flexi cap funds. IMO don't buy large cap, instead get a Index fund or something like Niftybees ETF. Large cap MF will have relatively high expense ratio compared to the latter two.

For me, my Mirae Asset ELSS is outperforming Parag Parikh Flexi Cap, but that might be due to international stock exposure (they had a lot of international stocks before the foreign investment stopped due to the hitting the cap set by SEBI).

IMO check other flexi cap funds as well. Parag Parikh Flexi Cap has exit load till 2 years. Then take call on splitting money between flexi cap, index fund & small cap MFs. This is what I do for non-ELSS investment. So do your research.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Plus one for direct Index investing instead of Large cap MFs.

Btw, @TheSloth: Did you choose New tax regime? Is it because it's simpler? I also choose New tax regime at the start, but later switched to Old tax regime, cause I was saving more tax in old, with some effort of showing investments.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Plus one for direct Index investing instead of Large cap MFs.

Btw, @TheSloth: Did you choose New tax regime? Is it because it's simpler? I also choose New tax regime at the start, but later switched to Old tax regime, cause I was saving more tax in old, with some effort of showing investments.
I switched to new tax regime because I have only ELSS and NPS deductions, no HRA, house loan, so tax was less in new regime.

Top Bottom