The Moto X 1st and 2nd Gen Discussion

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yep.It is fragile.The moment I received it for my Dad,I ordered cover.

Just few suggestions for covers-
Flip cover-nCase
Bumper and back covers-Amzer.

These are cheap VFM covers if you like to go with them.

I think Nilkin has a tempered glass or even Xtremeguard is good option.But I just put a simple scratch guard pertaining Dad's robust use and bought him flip cover.

Nice tip there. Thanks for the suggestions. A case is warranted if you are worried about your Moto X. Yes it does make it a bit ugly since Moto X looks damn good without 'em! But they do make sure your phone don't die in an accident.

By Flip cover-ncase did you mean this? nCase Flip Cover for Moto X
And Bumber and back covers-Amzer this? Amzer Back Cover for Motorola Moto X

Personally I bought this highly solid looking case: nCase Back Cover for Moto X (Red n Black)

But I think I will buy Flip cover too since I want to be able to take out my phone out of its shell at home easily!

rohit.anand

Right off the assembly line
guys, how is Flipkart selling Moto X 2013 without an adapter??.
And how is the teak version? Does it look good?

polupoka

In the zone
guys, how is Flipkart selling Moto X 2013 without an adapter??.
And how is the teak version? Does it look good?
well obviously you should buy teak version for 16749 ?- now! I have a bamboo and its awesome! *teak is almost same ...minor cosmetic changes!
Black and white version comes without adapter which may cost you over 1000 if you buy original! Moto x charger is of 1.2 amp..I have read that it supports higher amp charger too... so if you wanna buy a charger you can look at this which m looking for too..-Motorola Turbo Charger

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ It's not good that current deal is only on SBI card which limits to Rs 1250 as discount. When I purchased I got complete 10% discount!

Also, who needs a wall charger when we have PC at home, and at offices? :p Well, Turbo charger sounds good though, but to make my phone total VFM I am not going to invest in it until I am completely I require it.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
When u get a call...wave over your display...call will become silent

Yup. That's one of those features which no one is talking about and yet its one of the cool features of Moto X!
I am going to make a list of such nifty stuff once I get my device. :D

PS: Wave to silent feature won't even work on N6 cause of lack of sensors. BOOOOO :p

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Double tapping is not suppose to work on Moto X. It doesn't work like that.

The way it work is that the Active display keeps you showing any notifications you get while the phone was locked. It also pops up the notification/clock when it detects a change in the state of the mobile. So for eg, when you take out the phone from your pocket, it shows you that. When you pickup the phone and change the phone orientation from horizontal to vertical in the process, it shows you the notification/clock.

Maybe in the case of geekyranjit's video, the double tap changed the orientation of the phone a bit, thereby triggering the active display. Or, maybe it was a coincidence that he happen to tap the phone just when the notification triggered.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw friends, my Moto X arrived today! :D

*i.minus.com/ie5HoYHWDr79V.jpg

polupoka

In the zone
Double tapping is not suppose to work on Moto X. It doesn't work like that.

The way it work is that the Active display keeps you showing any notifications you get while the phone was locked. It also pops up the notification/clock when it detects a change in the state of the mobile. So for eg, when you take out the phone from your pocket, it shows you that. When you pickup the phone and change the phone orientation from horizontal to vertical in the process, it shows you the notification/clock.

Maybe in the case of geekyranjit's video, the double tap changed the orientation of the phone a bit, thereby triggering the active display. Or, maybe it was a coincidence that he happen to tap the phone just when the notification triggered.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw friends, my Moto X arrived today! :D

*i.minus.com/ie5HoYHWDr79V.jpg
Thank you for the info dada.. and wow !
beauty:cloud9:
Though I personally didnot like the headset sound quality! Also the phone internal sound quality(sound which transmit via 3.5 mm port)didnt impress me at all(have pureview 808 alive and xperia Z1 dead). Thats the only cons from my side(still).... :meditate:

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Headset quality is not good and its a known thing in almost all reviews.
Will need to test sound quality later since still have to get a nano sim.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Moto X( 1st Gen) : 720p display-2200 mah battery

Moto X(2nd gen) : 1080p display-2300 mah battery

Seems legit.Motorola logic FTW !

Moto X(2nd Gen) : Complete fail on battery life.For a normal user it is fine but for a power user like myself, nope nope nope.

In comparison the Samsung Galaxy S5 has a better FHD SAMOLED display and uses a 2800 mah battery to power the phone

Battery life acc to GSMARENA tests

Moto X(2nd Gen) : 45 Hours

SGS5 : 72 hours

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yea battery is messed up in 2nd gen.

First model was build keeping in mind the fact that at 4.7" people won't notice the difference in pixels anyway. So inspite of making the phone "look" better on paper, they decided to keep it 720p which would also help keeping battery consumption low.

I think 2nd gen was Motorola's "business model" product which they are using to generate revenue based on the success of first gen Moto X.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
From Anadtech's review of the Moto X 2nd gen

Unfortunately, it’s not clear where this lack of attention to color accuracy comes from. In discussions with Andrei it's clearly possible to calibrate the AMOLED panel from the GS4 quite accurately, and there's no real technical limitation for AMOLED to lack good calibration. However, judging by the relatively low peak brightness there are other issues as this could affect Motorola's performance in battery life tests. This seems to suggest that Motorola is unable to access the latest generation of AMOLED panels from Samsung Display.

This would be a rather startling thought, as it means that no matter what Motorola does to improve their implementation of Samsung’s AMOLED displays, they will always be behind the curve. If it becomes clear that Samsung’s AMOLED is the best display from a user-facing standpoint, every other OEM will face significant barriers in competition as they would be unable to access the latest generation AMOLED panels. The real solution here is for other display manufacturers such as LG, JDI, and AUO Optronics to catch up.

At any rate, the display of the new Moto X seems to be relatively poor compared to what we see in the Galaxy S5 LTE-A (and likely the Note 4), along with the iPhone 5s, Nexus 5, and One (M7). While it’s impossible to ignore the power advantage of AMOLED when implementing functions like Moto Display, the relatively low peak brightness and poor color accuracy are concerning.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ I guess little we can do to improve it, apart from trying out new custom Kernels. But maybe after some time.

Meanwhile, did anybody get updated Play store? I got:

*i.minus.com/ibyI68sOi1WJ9k.png

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
[MENTION=288626]polupoka[/MENTION]: Can't view attachments. Recommended to host files on minus.com
[MENTION=155555]Superayush[/MENTION]: Adding your name in second post.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So today I tried to find a way to take screenshots without using physical buttons (the usual power btn + vol down btn), but I guess it's not easy to enable this functionality without rooting.
Screen capture app didn't work. More research will follow.

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
*medium.com/adventures-in-consumer-technology/the-moto-x-review-e1f3d60227f
Camera review

Top Bottom