The Man who created "WINDOWS" !

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
"Contrary to popular belief, the omnipresent Windows operating system does not owe its existence to Bill Gates, Paul Allen or the development team at Microsoft.

The man responsible for giving us Windows was actually a marketing expert called Rowland Hanson. Work on the operating system had started after Gates had seen a demo of VisiCorp’s software called VisiOn, which featured a graphical user interface (GUI), at Comdex, in 1982, and had decided that Microsoft would also come out with a GUIbased operating system. Gates and
the development team referred to it as ‘Interface Manager’ and the name stuck, at least until Hanson was hired to develop a marketing campaign for the product. He was unimpressed by the rather geekish ‘Interface Manager’ and proposed that the product be named ‘Windows’, as the user saw a number of ‘windows’ on the screen that contained the tools and files they needed to work with.

And the rest, as they love to say, ishistory. Had it not been for Hanson, ‘IM’ would have been an abbreviation for an operating system rather than for instant messaging"

btw this a documented and acknowledged fact...

Also see History of Microsoft Windows.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
anandk said:
"Contrary to popular belief, the omnipresent Windows operating system does not owe its existence to Bill Gates, Paul Allen or the development team at Microsoft.
a small correctin the OS owes its existence to billy g but the name owes its exitence to the marketing guy ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I'd expected a better post from someone like anandk. There are several problems with this one:

1. The idea of making a GUI based operating system occurred to Bill Gates after seeing the first Mac OS, not this VisiOn thing you are talking about.
2. Your source is Wikipedia and we all know how reliable it is.
3. The page you sourced the article from (and have linked to) has already been updated and it supports my first point now.

:)

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
u r right iMav :)
arya : thanx for ur input...and yes, never expect anything from me...even i dont expect anything from "me" ! :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
The idea of making a GUI based operating system occurred to Bill Gates after seeing the first Mac OS, not this VisiOn thing you are talking about.
and i am sure u accompanied bill gates where ever he saw this mac os and bill gates confided to you that he got the idea of making a GUI OS from the mac :lol:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
iMav said:
and i am sure u accompanied bill gates where ever he saw this mac os and bill gates confided to you that he got the idea of making a GUI OS from the mac :lol:

:lol:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iMav said:
Actually, he did. Not exactly to me but to the world.

And anyway, it is common knowledge what Windows owes its existence to and I don't need to listen to any of your nonsense about it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Actually, he did. Not exactly to me but to the world.

And anyway, it is common knowledge what Windows owes its existence to and I don't need to listen to any of your nonsense about it.

While Nokia makes bread & Coca Cola makes engine Oil :D

We all know how "un-biased" your viewpoint is. :p

blackpearl

The Devil
aryayush said:

Windows owes its existence to Mac? Are you sure?

I think you haven't heard the story of the "Rich neighbour named Xerox"

*www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?proj...ox.txt&topic=Microsoft&sortOrder=Sort by Date

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
blackpearl said:
Windows owes its existence to Mac? Are you sure?

I think you haven't heard the story of the "Rich neighbour named Xerox"

*www.folklore.org/StoryView.py...% 20by%20Date
I thought we were talking about where Bill Gates got the idea from, not where Steve Jobs did. Jobs took it from XEROX PARC and Gates took it from Apple.

Read the first chapter of this month's Fast Track. It clearly states that the GUI we are used to today owes its existence to XEROX PARC. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom