"The Mac has won"

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Once and for all, proof that Macs are cheaper than PCs

Let's put to rest the myth that an Apple computer will set you back more than a Windows PC. In fact, it'll cost you less.

By Farhad Manjoo

*images.salon.com/tech/machinist/feature/2007/11/07/mac_price/cover.jpg

It's time to buy an Apple computer. Indeed, it's been that time for the past five years, at least, but only now, slowly, are people waking up to this fact. Thanks to Apple's relentless flash -- the John Hodgman ads, the iPods, the iPhones -- its Macintosh business is now in league with that of the biggest PC companies in the world. Everyone who's used it agrees that Leopard, the operating system that Apple released late last month, is to its chief rival, Microsoft's Windows Vista, roughly as Richard Wagner is to Richard Marx. This simple truth is dawning: If we forget about computer-industry network effects and monopolistic business practices, if we forget Apple's various ancient missteps -- if we're going just by what's better -- the ages-old Mac-vs.-PC debate is over. Long over. Yell it from the rooftops: The Mac has won.

And yet, you're not buying an Apple computer. Most of the world isn't. There is probably a single overwhelming reason you're clinging to Windows. Macs are expensive. This is what you've been told, and in your research, it's seemed to check out. If they acknowledge it at all, Mac fans will rationalize the higher prices by noting that you're paying for quality. Buying a Mac, folks say, is like buying a BMW (Apple CEO Steve Jobs regularly compares the Mac's market share with that of German luxury cars). But what if you don't want the BMW of PCs? What if you can only afford a Chevrolet? Read more...

[Via Salon]

I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with every thing mentioned in this article, specially in the Indian context, but he does make some very valid points. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
The thing is in India, no one pays for the OS, Antivirus and anti spyware apps so the POS machines turn out to be a lot cheaper than an iMac costing say 64k...

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hey are sure ?? be sure for INDIA alright.. that they are of same cost as that of a genuine win vista installed PC
it would be much better if they cost less then a pirated vista PC

i can recommend a mac to my neighborhood girls and home users ... they will be impressed later... about the MAC and buy one for my home use !!!!!

the day MACs Replace Windows and PC in banks, shops, servers, work stations, schools and colleges, engineering companies, research labs etc is the day MAC wins not the day when few thousand people got a MAC for Home use...!!

it would be great if some one neutral side writes these stuff..
i just hate articles written by windows and mac fan boys !

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
it would be much better if they cost less then a pirated vista PC
Nice.... nice... maybe next thing they should throw in some electronic foot-massagers in it as well.

If someone writes positive about the mac, he's a fanboy.
If someone writes negative, he's a mac hater.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
goobimama said:
The thing is in India, no one pays for the OS, Antivirus and anti spyware apps so the POS machines turn out to be a lot cheaper than an iMac costing say 64k...
Actually I have seen many people buying/asking where to buy antivirus... One of my uncle has asked about QuickHeal AV.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
@Aryayush , dude if you could post some relevant articles rather than just linking to 'enthusiastic' n 'revolutionary' blog posts n Mac Blogs it'd be much much better .

btw , Dell sells a Windows PC with 19" LCD Monitor + Core 2 Duo Proccy + Windows Vista Home Premium for 30k now that's a lot less than 64k that the Mac costs .

Even the dell XPS Series , which includes a Core 2 Quad Processor , 2 GB RAM , 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor + Windows Vista Home Premium + 256 MB ATI Radeon HT 2600 XT costs Rs 54,423 . how's that !

*i.dell.com/images/global/products/xpsdt/xps420_lcd.jpg*i.dell.com/images/global/products/xpsdt/xps420_front.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2356/1932839509_ab0cc4615a_o.jpg

Dell India XPS 420 Product Page

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
+1 to above

i guess i will do much better staying off these threads as i had done till now no point as

these people have little or NO knowledge about Computing and applications !!
and come here and talk about BEST OS ! and PC and MAC war !

and only show off mac and windows fight...!! and simply insult linux also !

they use the computer for basic stuff like internet and doing some drawing ! and these people talking about best os makes no sense at all !! and also comparing PC and MAC... !

oh yes MAC is indeed Best OS for them .. for people with basic stuff ! and for their uses ! and for my use when i am totally bored !

and they must know that for every purpose an OS excels .. so better learn to respect other technologies !!

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Well before buying an apple, please make sure u have a good refrigerator, coz it gets rotten very soon!

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey wait .. what are the softwares available for OS X ? I know there is photoshop and finalcut .. even Know many movie production companies use mac for their animation and stuff.. ( Pixar Animations ) .. But for the common man what are the applications available.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
the day MACs Replace Windows and PC in banks, shops, servers, work stations, schools and colleges, engineering companies, research labs etc is the day MAC wins not the day when few thousand people got a MAC for Home use...!!
The article was written in plain English. Here's a quote:
if we're going just by what's better -- the ages-old Mac-vs.-PC debate is over. Long over. Yell it from the rooftops: The Mac has won.
The Mac has won because it is better. That's what the author is saying. It has nothing whatsoever to do with market share which, let me tell you straight up, Apple is never going to beat Microsoft at because they don't intend to. Apple has a standard; Microsoft doesn't.

Charan said:
Hey wait .. what are the softwares available for OS X ? I know there is photoshop and finalcut .. even Know many movie production companies use mac for their animation and stuff.. ( Pixar Animations ) .. But for the common man what are the applications available.
You get what you need and you get stuff that is any day better than their counterparts on Windows. A very good example is Delicious Library. If you can find me one good cataloguing applications on Windows that comes anywhere close to Delicious Library, Windows will get my vote. Or, for that matter, find me an RSS reader with the calibre of Mac-only clients such as NewsFire and NetNewsWire.

The applications of Mac OS X, coupled with the user interface, is what makes it so much better than Windows. Plus, it runs Windows and Linux applications too if the need arises.

And that is why I find it surprising that people still don't see that a Mac is the only computer a person should buy.

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
@ Charan,

There are many applications available for Mac too.
Many Open Source applications u can compile for Mac too.
Even most of the printers come with Windows AND Mac Drivers. :)
M$ office is having a version for Mac OS.

What else u want ?? :)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
shirish_nagar said:
@ Charan,

There are many applications available for Mac too.
Many Open Source applications u can compile for Mac too.
Even most of the printers come with Windows AND Mac Drivers. :)
M$ office is having a version for Mac OS.

What else u want ?? :)
Lower Price !

coz we're talking of Mac here as a whole package , not just the OS . so Price and hardware does also count .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ I think Charan asked about software and shirish replied wid the list/category of software available for Mac OS.

I didn't know "Lower Price" was a new software. What does it do???! :D

goobimama

 Macboy
While that dell sure looks good, with the snazzy cabinet et all, the price will still lurk around maybe 58-60k including tax. Add to that antivirus (yeah I know there is are free ones), and it comes up to around the same as the iMac. The dell also gives you more customisation and has a faster processor, but it doesn't come in a sleek silent enclosure, OS X and a cigarette lighter.

My point being, the iMac isn't all that expensive as it is seen to be.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I second the feeling that Macs are somewhat overpriced. You definitely pay a premium for the Apple logo compared to a non-Apple PC of similar specs + costliest windows OS + security software. However, what appeals me is that the whole damn thing is squeezed in behind the LCD!

goobimama

 Macboy
Btw, if there is one thing that keeps me hooked to OS X, it is the software. There tons of amazing apps which one can only dream about using on Windows or wherever else.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
I dont want mac or windows or linux or bill or steve to win...

I want the CONSUMER TO WIN... dont become brand shills... if you like a product use it and STFU... if you dont like a product dont use it and STFU

*www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
aryayush said:
You get what you need and you get stuff that is any day better than their counterparts on Windows. A very good example is Delicious Library. If you can find me one good cataloguing applications on Windows that comes anywhere close to Delicious Library, Windows will get my vote. Or, for that matter, find me an RSS reader with the calibre of Mac-only clients such as NewsFire and NetNewsWire.

Firstly.. Im not just a windows user I also use linux as well as I am a apple customer.

Delecious Library: I was searching for an library software and my dream software is mac only :p.. you got my vote for Delicious Library arya;) ..

I am not asking which one is better.. I just want to know what are the basic applications just to get my work done.. for example I use Opera for everything .. for chat, for mail (pop and imap), downloads, RSS etc etc.. so there is no need for me to use another application for the other tasks.

The applications of Mac OS X, coupled with the user interface, is what makes it so much better than Windows. Plus, it runs Windows and Linux applications too if the need arises.

User Interface for me is secondary.. I used Aero and Compiz-fuzion for just 2 days.. later disabled both .. aka fun was over. Yea it runs windows and not to forget I have to either buy a new copy of windows or trash my current system and transfer the licence to the mac. and not to forget my Visual Studio licence.. I dont know if VS licence allows me move it from one system to another.

And that is why I find it surprising that people still don't see that a Mac is the only computer a person should buy.

this is not correct.. It depends if it ones needs or not.. for a first time PC user this can be a good investment .. but not for those people who are on other OS/hardware..

You just cannot ask them to trash their system and buy a iMac.. cause they have already paid for the software and hardware they are using..

Yea you can say "the Mac has won" but its the customer who has lost.

@sirish yea there are software.. But the only thing I cant do is do a trial run of OS X .. which I can do in Vista as well as Linux On my current hardware..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom