The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Some more details would be nice. Did It stop working just like that? Or you installed something... Etc.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

i had orignal windows 8 which got corrupted then i restored the windows using recovery freshly installed all drivers from lenovo site everything is working except card reader

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
i had orignal windows 8 which got corrupted then i restored the windows using recovery freshly installed all drivers from lenovo site everything is working except card reader
Okay then most prolly some driver issue. Why not upgrade to win 10 yet? It works better than 8.1 and has all drivers.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

vishnov

Journeyman
Hey friends! Finally I going to update my laptop to windows 10 tomorrow. As as you recommended I'll be going via the upgrade option within my present system. Nonetheless, I need your help with few more doubts before I go forward with the upgradation.

1. I have a confusion regarding the lisense activation. During installation, at any phase, will I get a box to insert the lisense key? Do i skip it and will it be activated later?

2. Do I have to have a Microsoft account for registering my key with Microsoft? Presently, i dont remember having my laptop signed in with an ms account.

3. For clean install after upgrading, again I need to download windows 10 ISO from Microsoft website? Or can I create bootable USB from the installed OS itself?

I fear that I'd mess up my licence by doing something wrong..

(Is there something/somewhere I need to be cautious abt at any stage during the installation?)

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Hey friends! Finally I going to update my laptop to windows 10 tomorrow. As as you recommended I'll be going via the upgrade option within my present system. Nonetheless, I need your help with few more doubts before I go forward with the upgradation.

1. I have a confusion regarding the lisense activation. During installation, at any phase, will I get a box to insert the lisense key? Do i skip it and will it be activated later?

2. Do I have to have a Microsoft account for registering my key with Microsoft? Presently, i dont remember having my laptop signed in with an ms account.

3. For clean install after upgrading, again I need to download windows 10 ISO from Microsoft website? Or can I create bootable USB from the installed OS itself?

I fear that I'd mess up my licence by doing something wrong..

(Is there something/somewhere I need to be cautious abt at any stage during the installation?)

1. No. Activated once you log into ms acc

2. You need ms account for digital entitlement

3. first upgrade, then dl ISO from ms website (win 10 SL)

License is embedded in your bios so you will never lose it, even if you wipe your entire HDD. Unless you flash your bios with some 3rd party bios.

Download all drivers beforehand from lenovo usa website and keep them in a pd.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vishnov

Journeyman
1. No. Activated once you log into ms acc

2. You need ms account for digital entitlement

3. first upgrade, then dl ISO from ms website (win 10 SL)

License is embedded in your bios so you will never lose it, even if you wipe your entire HDD. Unless you flash your bios with some 3rd party bios.

Download all drivers beforehand from lenovo usa website and keep them in a pd.

I think right now my device isn't connected to any ms account. I'm not sure. How do I check it? (i.e. whether my windows 8.1 is having any ms account logged in?)

Will they ask for an ms account during any time during installation? Or shud I create one account before upgrading itself?

If yes, can you shed some light and clear this confusion I'm having abt the ms account?

(Sorry to sound like a noob here, I really look forward for some help.)

Last edited:

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
I think right now my device isn't connected to any ms account. I'm not sure. How do I check it? (i.e. whether my windows 8.1 is having any ms account logged in?)

Will they ask for an ms account during any time during installation? Or shud I create one account before upgrading itself?

If yes, can you shed some light and clear this confusion I'm having abt the ms account?

(Sorry to sound like a noob here, I really look forward for some help.)
Go to your product activation and log into to any ms account (live.com, outlook.com, hotmail.com) If you have logged in , it should show your email ID every time you boot up your computer.

You could just open win store and log in, or in-built outlook app.

If you don't have an email I'd. Make one in the above sites I mention. You Xbox ID will work too if you have one.

Make sure to log into some account while on 8.1 or you won't have your winten key tagged to the account.

vishnov

Journeyman
Go to your product activation and log into to any ms account (live.com, outlook.com, hotmail.com) If you have logged in , it should show your email ID every time you boot up your computer.

If you don't have an email I'd. Make one in the above sites I mention. You Xbox ID will work too if you have one.

Make sure to log into some account while on 8.1 or you won't have your winten key tagged to the account.

Ok. Now that was clear enough for me. Much help. Thanks aniketdawn.89

geek_rocker

Broken In

Dude you don't need an MS account for digital entitlement. It's only an option which will made available in the anniversary update. And if you have a OEM (came with the computer) version, I don't think you can attach it to your Microsoft account regardless.

You don't need to have a MS account to upgrade to Windows 10 and activate it. And since the November update you can clean install Windows 10 with your old key (or it will detect it automatically if you have an OEM version), just make sure you select the right version.

Ayushj

Right off the assembly line
Guys, I have a Lenovo y50 59431090 which is the 4GB Nvidia GTX 860M model. But after a motherboard failure and after Lenovo's motherboard failure, they replaced the motherboard with a 2GB 860M graphics card. Now, they are saying this model is supplied with the 2GB memory size only and I do not know how to prove them wrong. If anyone has the same laptop, it would be of immense help if you could share screenshots of CPU-Z which shows your GTX 860M memory and the Intel HD 4600 memory.

aytus

The Boss
Hi. No matter what i do i am not able to make my laptop detect any of my android phones. I have an xperia u and Samsung galaxy s6. Have tried with various cables. Have tried all modes on phone. It only connects as a charger. Not even a single notification pops up on any of my phones. All pendrives work fine. My iphone works fine. ( I have iTunes installed). Using Windows 10. Anyone else have the same issue?

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Hi. No matter what i do i am not able to make my laptop detect any of my android phones. I have an xperia u and Samsung galaxy s6. Have tried with various cables. Have tried all modes on phone. It only connects as a charger. Not even a single notification pops up on any of my phones. All pendrives work fine. My iphone works fine. ( I have iTunes installed). Using Windows 10. Anyone else have the same issue?

probably issue with the mode ur connecting with i had same issue when i connected my phone it onky used to charge then i checked phone setting developer option and changed it to file manager mode.

vishnov

Journeyman
I plan to go for a SSD upgrade. Can I connect an SSD in my laptop parallel to my existing internal hard disk? I mean I don't wanna remove my 1TB hdd. Does y50 70 have that ultra bay slot where I can connect it?

amey2606

Broken In
Hello guys, looks like this thread has been quiet for quite some time.
The thing is, I am planning on replacing the stock screen on my Y50-70 59428436, 2014 model.
I just wanted to know if any members here have done the same, and if they could please help me out and guide me on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
No point spending another 10-15k on old hardware. Consider investing it elsewhere to get a new computer. But that's just my opinion. The laptop has lost its gaming prowess with the latest titles which is expected. But if you are more into multimedia maybe give it a shot. But there aren't really many options. You have to import. Check aliexpress.

amey2606

Broken In
No point spending another 10-15k on old hardware. Consider investing it elsewhere to get a new computer. But that's just my opinion. The laptop has lost its gaming prowess with the latest titles which is expected. But if you are more into multimedia maybe give it a shot. But there aren't really many options. You have to import. Check aliexpress.

Thank you for your reply.
I get what you are trying to convey, but spending another 90-100k on a new machine isn't really an option, and doesn't make any sense too. The Y50 is still going great, all it needs after these 3 years is an SSD upgrade, and maybe the screen, because it really is bad and pales even before a 2007 Sony Vaio.
The problem with alibaba is most of the sellers sell compatible screens, and not the original display. The only trusty site I have heard from people is laptopscreens.com, and a brand new display will set me back $100 at the most.
So, all I wanted was if somebody could share there screen replacement experience with me, if possible.
Thank you for reply again.
Cheers

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Personal preference of course buddy. But I would rather save for a year, and then get some resale value on this and plan for new hardware. But then again that's my opinion and I can only even think of that because I work :)

Please do go ahead an plan whatever you are planning.

amey2606

Broken In
Personal preference of course buddy. But I would rather save for a year, and then get some resale value on this and plan for new hardware. But then again that's my opinion and I can only even think of that because I work :)

Please do go ahead an plan whatever you are planning.

Yes sure. Thank you.
Just waiting for hopefully someone to share their experiences here.
Cheers

Top Bottom