The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
No problem in that. Though Windows 10 is a worthy upgrade.
But I guess the procedure would be the same.
We'll just have to wait until some experienced member posts the guide.
Actually there are a few guides around the internet about clean ork + win install on lenovo lappys. They are different models though. Not y50.

My ssd comes in this weekend lest amazon delivers it faster. So am gonna try things out myself and post my findings. :)

amey2606

Broken In
Actually there are a few guides around the internet about clean ork + win install on lenovo lappys. They are different models though. Not y50.

My ssd comes in this weekend lest amazon delivers it faster. So am gonna try things out myself and post my findings. :)
No problem, great.
Looking forward to it.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Installed the ssd and did clean install of 8.1 SL on it. All working great.

Boot up and shutdown times are flat 5 seconds.

UI is very snappy and responsive now. PC doesn't freeze when doing multiple disk related operations.

Didn't bother with installing okr though. Have just kept the bootable windows flash drive.

Using the internal drive as external storage now :)

Update:

Upgraded to win10 SL using inbuilt windows upgrade option. Installed win 10 drivers from lenovo website. All seems to be working as expected. Performance seems slightly better then 8.1

I noticed some lag spikes in cs.go. looking forward to do a clean install of win 10 and then trying. Got caught up with some personal issues so very busy lately. Will update once done.

Last edited:

vishnov

Journeyman
Hey guys. I have a Lenovo y50-70 which is powered by nvidia 860m GPU. I want to update my driver and u have a small confusion. I've seen the update in nvidia website and it's nearly 320mb. There's also an update in Lenovo's official website (for y50-70) and that's 615mb. Which one should I download? I don't wanna risk crashing my games due to incompatible and unsupported update.. Which one to downland and which will be the safe bet? Plz help

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Hey guys. I have a Lenovo y50-70 which is powered by nvidia 860m GPU. I want to update my driver and u have a small confusion. I've seen the update in nvidia website and it's nearly 320mb. There's also an update in Lenovo's official website (for y50-70) and that's 615mb. Which one should I download? I don't wanna risk crashing my games due to incompatible and unsupported update.. Which one to downland and which will be the safe bet? Plz help
Your OS? Stock 8.1 or did you update to 10?

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Stock 8.1! not updated to windows 10 yet
If it is still stock, then you may update your gpu drivers without worry from geforce experience.

However if you face an error where your games start crashing with Display Driver stopped responding, then just rollback to the immediately previous version that you must download manually from nvidia. Your game performance will increase slightly so do update the drivers

If you plan to upgrade to win 10 anytime soon (which you should) then install the driver from lenovo page as there is no official driver updates for win 10 from nvidia yet. Though it has been a month since I checked if there is anything new myself. So can't confirm on the last point.

Edit:
The gpu drivers on lenovo page are prehistoric. Also install the legacy physx drivers from nvidia website separately. Some older games need it.

vishnov

Journeyman
So I can download from nvidia website without any worries right? THE latest version? Can you plz tell me how to backup my current GPU driver.? Just in case... Will the latest version of driver will have any bugs for my lappie? (Sorry.. This the last doubt I'd ask)

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
So I can download from nvidia website without any worries right? THE latest version? Can you plz tell me how to backup my current GPU driver.? Just in case... Will the latest version of driver will have any bugs for my lappie? (Sorry.. This the last doubt I'd ask)
No need to backup your driver ( there is no way to back up installed drivers)

Go to nvidia website and scan your device to get latest driver download. In the same page you will get another link to list of every previous driver released. So no need to worry.

As for bugs no software is perfect so there will be bugs . even your current driver has. :)

Guys who own Y50, what problems did you face or are currently facing in your laptop?

My 3 years old Y500 is giving too many problems, so I'm thinking of selling it. I have lost trust in Lenovo...

Also does Y50 have additional mSATA or M2 slot for SSD?

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Guys who own Y50, what problems did you face or are currently facing in your laptop?

My 3 years old Y500 is giving too many problems, so I'm thinking of selling it. I have lost trust in Lenovo...

Also does Y50 have additional mSATA or M2 slot for SSD?
My y50 just turned 1 year and so far touch wood all has been well.

What sort of problems are you facing?

And no msata ssd ports in y50. Only the single sata 3.

My y50 just turned 1 year and so far touch wood all has been well.

What sort of problems are you facing?

And no msata ssd ports in y50. Only the single sata 3.

- LAN port has been dead for about 1 year now
- 3.4mm jack works depending on inclination (yes, that's as tricky as it sounds... works fine in perfect horizontal surface wrt gravity)
- Charging the laptop is tricky. To charge the laptop, remove the battery, connect charger(in ON state) & put back the battery (Motherboard issue & will cost 20k for new mobo)
- 2 screw threads of bottom removable casing are not threaded anymore
- Screen hinge creaks, not broken though, yet

OK, as far as maintenance goes, I maintained my laptop properly. I agree my area has a lot of dust (maybe that caused problems)

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
- LAN port has been dead for about 1 year now
- 3.4mm jack works depending on inclination (yes, that's as tricky as it sounds... works fine in perfect horizontal surface wrt gravity)
- Charging the laptop is tricky. To charge the laptop, remove the battery, connect charger(in ON state) & put back the battery (Motherboard issue & will cost 20k for new mobo)
- 2 screw threads of bottom removable casing are not threaded anymore
- Screen hinge creaks, not broken though, yet

OK, as far as maintenance goes, I maintained my laptop properly. I agree my area has a lot of dust (maybe that caused problems)
Wow, sounds scary for a premium laptop. Am never buying lenovo myself anymore after this anyway.

Wow, sounds scary for a premium laptop. Am never buying lenovo myself anymore after this anyway.

I know 3 people who own Y50... 1 of them is working fine, 1 is has a dead camera, which isn't cam issue but some wiring issue(not resolved yet by service centre) & the last one's hinge broke within 6 months of purchase (resolved for free)

I need more inputs from other Y50 users

vishnov

Journeyman
Right time to upgrade my Lenovo y-50 windows 8.1 to windows 10? I've been worried about lack of drivers and random bugs after upgrade. Are proper drivers available in Lenovo support website? (PS: is upgrade or clean install of win10 preferred.? I don't wanna compromise on the gaming performance I'm getting right now) Advice.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Right time to upgrade my Lenovo y-50 windows 8.1 to windows 10? I've been worried about lack of drivers and random bugs after upgrade. Are proper drivers available in Lenovo support website? (PS: is upgrade or clean install of win10 preferred.? I don't wanna compromise on the gaming performance I'm getting right now) Advice.
Gaming performance is strangely better on win10 for y50.

Do clean install. And all drivers available from lenovo us website.

Been using win 10 for months now...

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
How can I go for clean install? ISO? Will my genuine lisense be retained if I clean install?
First upgrade to win 10 using normal upgrade option so that msoft will store your license as digital entitled.

Next download win 10 ISO (home SL) using msoft media creator (Google it) create bootable ISO using Rufus, download all drivers from lenovo us website and keep them in pen drive, disable secure boot from BIOS, and boot from win 10 bootable pen drive.

Wipe your HD and then install win 10. After logging in to your msoft account, Windows will be activated as your license is flashed on your mobo ROM.

And of course don't forget to backup your other data.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom