The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
While I agree that the Y50 v1 had a disappointing screen and thermal throttling, those same problems are solved in y50 v2. And it seems more VFM than others in its price range. Alternatively, I would have bought the Acer Nitro V (refresh) but there's no chance for it to be released here in India AFAIK. So I'm very very eagerly waiting for it to be released here in India (for warranty).

Anyway, in case I'm missing something, do you know any Asus model which can beat it in terms of specs and VFM and is in the same price bracket?
You can check the Asus model with gtx 950m. Though it is weaker in the GPU department ( not a lot though compared to an 860m), the build is pretty good along with the screen.

What lenovo did with y50 fr India specifically is what scares me. The us models got better screen and lan cards which were never released in india due to price. Same might happen with v2.

Hence I said, wait fr it and check it first hand before buying

Last edited:

vineetpratik

Broken In
You can check the Asus model with gtx 950m. Though it is weaker in the GPU department ( not a lot though compared to an 860m), the build is pretty good along with the screen.

What lenovo did with y50 fr India specifically is what scares me. The us models got better screen and lan cards which were never released in india due to price. Same might happen with v2.

Hence I said, wait fr it and check it first hand before buying

the screen quality was more or less same in US also for non UHD models ,
They were replacing the screen immediately after getting the laptop,
The wifi adapter is certainly not AC , or the better ones that could have been put in , but hasn't given me troubles till yet , maybe because most of time its close to router

- - - Updated - - -

And by The way have you tried to fresh install the windows ?

- - - Updated - - -

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
the screen quality was more or less same in US also for non UHD models ,
They were replacing the screen immediately after getting the laptop,
The wifi adapter is certainly not AC , or the better ones that could have been put in , but hasn't given me troubles till yet , maybe because most of time its close to router

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

See my point is why compromise when you are paying 80k?

You can get a better lappy than this for just 70k if you get it from the USA. It will come equipped with a 950m and IPS panel and ssd. Its always a compromise for Indians isn't it?

:/

vineetpratik

Broken In
See my point is why compromise when you are paying 80k?

You can get a better lappy than this for just 70k if you get it from the USA. It will come equipped with a 950m and IPS panel and ssd. Its always a compromise for Indians isn't it?

:/

Yes definitely India has been compromised maybe because of it taxation policy that makes imported goods costly,
But even then When it was launched in INDIA last year , (I bought last year in August) , At that time there were no alternative available ,
Even now i dont find any better alternative to THe GTX860M and i7-4710HQ Combo :p for the same price,

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Yes definitely India has been compromised maybe because of it taxation policy that makes imported goods costly,
But even then When it was launched in INDIA last year , (I bought last year in August) , At that time there were no alternative available ,
Even now i dont find any better alternative to THe GTX860M and i7-4710HQ Combo for the same price,
Ya I know what you mean. The sad state of affairs here. :/

kaelthas

Broken In
I have to buy a laptop one month later, hoping for y50 refresh by then.
I'm not impressed with the GTX950M benchmarks, also ASUS is selling the DDR3 version :-x but I might go for it, just for the screen.

cooldude576

Broken In
I have to buy a laptop one month later, hoping for y50 refresh by then.
I'm not impressed with the GTX950M benchmarks, also ASUS is selling the DDR3 version :-x but I might go for it, just for the screen.

Same here. Waiting for the Y50 refresh. And I agree, the GTX950 seems to be too big a compromise after paying Rs 80k for a laptop.

I'm thinking of importing a Y50 refresh and claim warranty here in India (as I hope it will release later on). Does anyone know whether this will work ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Same here. Waiting for the Y50 refresh. And I agree, the GTX950 seems to be too big a compromise after paying Rs 80k for a laptop.

I'm thinking of importing a Y50 refresh and claim warranty here in India (as I hope it will release later on). Does anyone know whether this will work ?

Lol if you want to import, get a Clevo laptop instead or buy one from Azom systems. :p

cooldude576

Broken In
Lol if you want to import, get a Clevo laptop instead or buy one from Azom systems. :p

I have already got a quote from Azom (they are based in my city only). I have seen it and it seems to be just a tad bulky (of course its worth it for those who don't mind that as they are upgradable and VFM). They said the lightest one that they have is of 3.1 kg. Slightly far off from a Y50.

A non-Azom Clevo will again not give me warranty. A lenovo Y50 with international warranty just might (if such a thing exists) and that was what I wanted to ask. Maybe an answer to that instead of a condescending "lol" would have been better.

kaelthas

Broken In
I have already got a quote from Azom (they are based in my city only). I have seen it and it seems to be just a tad bulky (of course its worth it for those who don't mind that as they are upgradable and VFM). They said the lightest one that they have is of 3.1 kg. Slightly far off from a Y50.

A non-Azom Clevo will again not give me warranty. A lenovo Y50 with international warranty just might (if such a thing exists) and that was what I wanted to ask. Maybe an answer to that instead of a condescending "lol" would have been better.

It's been almost a month and no sign of a Y50 refresh :cry:. BTW did you purchase? If so which laptop?

Gs07

New to this forum
Hi Guys, i am in search of a decent mid range gaming laptop...basically i was looking for i7 processor, min. 8GB RAM, faster HDD...i don't have much knowledge on Graphics card. But after going through this thread, i got to know, GTX 860M is good overall...

Based on this specs, I shortlisted below laptops
1. Asus G551JX (i7 4720HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 950M 2GB, 1TB HDD 7200rpm, IPS display) --> 83K
2. Y50-70 (i7 4710 HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 860M 4GB, 1TB 5400RPM, FHD display) --> 86K
3. Asus X550JK ((i7 4710 HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 850M 2GB, 1TB 7200RPM, FHD display) --> 70K

Not sure, which one to go for, i am really not an hard core gamer, but i like to play mid range games like NFSMW, Prince of Persia etc. without any lag...
Knowing, Y50 has a bad display, thinking to go with G551JX as it comes with i7 420HQ, IPS + 7200rpm HDD...
Again G551JX & X550JK doesn't have much difference in terms of specs, but a price difference of 13K :-(

Can anybody suggest me on this please. Thanks

Dr. House

No Regrets
Hi Guys, i am in search of a decent mid range gaming laptop...basically i was looking for i7 processor, min. 8GB RAM, faster HDD...i don't have much knowledge on Graphics card. But after going through this thread, i got to know, GTX 860M is good overall...

1. Asus G551JX (i7 4720HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 950M 2GB, 1TB HDD 7200rpm, IPS display) --> 83K
3. Asus X550JK ((i7 4710 HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 850M 2GB, 1TB 7200RPM, FHD display) --> 70K

Not sure, which one to go for, i am really not an hard core gamer, but i like to play mid range games like NFSMW, Prince of Persia etc. without any lag...
Knowing, Y50 has a bad display, thinking to go with G551JX as it comes with i7 420HQ, IPS + 7200rpm HDD...
Again G551JX & X550JK doesn't have much difference in terms of specs, but a price difference of 13K :-(

better get a gaming desktop

Gs07

New to this forum
[MENTION=145178]Dr. House[/MENTION] - No, actually am looking for a laptop.

And i did called lenovo customer care to check on Y50 refresh model with IPS, they had no clue on that... I believe, even if it comes, the price will be increased (current model is priced @86k)

jatinrungta

Emerging Gamer :)
[MENTION=145178]Dr. House[/MENTION] - No, actually am looking for a laptop.

And i did called lenovo customer care to check on Y50 refresh model with IPS, they had no clue on that... I believe, even if it comes, the price will be increased (current model is priced @86k)
dont get y50. its hdd is verrrrry slow

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Guys i am in a big problem yesterday afternoon when i shut down the pc it showed some error and blue screen came i turned it off now in evening when i started the system automatic recovery came up and the pc was unable to boot.I tried refreshing and system restore but it didnt work to boot the system.Initially my laptop came with hdd partition for C was 889 gb and for D for 25 gb and windows and all the stuff were in c drive , i know it was mistake to keep all games and stuff c but i didnt used to bother laptop was working fine.But now when laptop didnt booted and automatic recovery was opening everytime.I didnt use one key recovery cause it will delete all me 700 gigs of games So Today i fresh installed windows 8.1 on D drive which is 25 gb laptop says it has 8 gigs ssd how to determine my os is installed on ssd or not?
or my previous 889 gb partion has ssd compatiblity please help me with this.I want to restore my lappy through one key but i dont know now it will recover on 25 gb drive or 889gb drive(which has all the data and initial os)

Xamanus

Journeyman
Hey guys, Im looking to get this laptop from America ( relative is coming down ), Does this have a lot of heating issues? Im not looking for heavy gaming, Just 2-3 times a week playing some cod or gta. Is there are lot of heating issues with it? My main purpose is for running heavy applications and advanced stock trading softwares. ( current laptops lags on it )

Specs:

4k Screen,
16Gb Ram,
4gb 960M,
No HDD - Just 512 ssd ( I have externals + this current laptop is 1tb )
$1400

My main concern is heating.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys, Im looking to get this laptop from America ( relative is coming down ), Does this have a lot of heating issues? Im not looking for heavy gaming, Just 2-3 times a week playing some cod or gta. Is there are lot of heating issues with it? My main purpose is for running heavy applications and advanced stock trading softwares. ( current laptops lags on it )

Specs:

4k Screen,
16Gb Ram,
4gb 960M,
No HDD - Just 512 ssd ( I have externals + this current laptop is 1tb )
$1400

My main concern is heating.

Nope don't buy.

Else get a Clevo/Sager or Asus G751 from Xotic Pc or Newegg respectively.

Y50 should be strictly purchased below And below $1000

Xamanus

Journeyman
Nope don't buy.

Else get a Clevo/Sager or Asus G751 from Xotic Pc or Newegg respectively.

Y50 should be strictly purchased below And below $1000

Yup they are available under $1000, even $800, but not 4gb - 960m, just 860m 2gb, no 4k display, no 16gb rab, no 512 ssd. I was comparing to Sager and Asus. Same match category with 128 is $1600. Here im getting 4k, 512 ssd. And more importantly its thin and light compared to 5k sagers.

Night-Rider

Journeyman

Go with the third option Asus X550JK. 850m and 950m do not have much difference in performance. It will save you 13k

950m:
*www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-950M.138026.0.html

850m:

*www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html

- - - Updated - - -

Better comparison:

*laptopmedia.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-950m-benchmarks-and-gaming-tests/

Top Bottom