The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

tkyopandaman

Broken In
Have you tried without a cooling pad?

Possible that you laptop bottom is pulling in air while your cooling pad also pulls out air instead of feeding to the laptop bottom.

Or perhaps the fan position doesn't fit at the grill position and hence blocking airflow.

How old is you laptop BTW?

Haven't tried without the cooling pad yet while playing games at least. I shall do that in the evening today.

Also, my laptop was bought in October, 2014 so basically, its 6 months old.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Haven't tried without the cooling pad yet while playing games at least. I shall do that in the evening today.

Also, my laptop was bought in October, 2014 so basically, its 6 months old.
Well 6 months is long enuf for dust. So if all your attempts fail, I guess it's the good ol' cleaning time

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
oh boy!
Well to be honest, I have never cleaned the vents of a laptop, so how to go about it for this one ? :|
Turn over your laptop and see the vent condition, if its all dusty, good chance that the entire hear sink assembly is dusty.

So open it up and brush out the dust. Repaste CPU/GPU if you can as well. Many vids online on how to do it.

tkyopandaman

Broken In
Turn over your laptop and see the vent condition, if its all dusty, good chance that the entire hear sink assembly is dusty.

So open it up and brush out the dust. Repaste CPU/GPU if you can as well. Many vids online on how to do it.

Oh so basically I gotta open up the back panel, clean/brush the dust and dirt away and put the lid back on yes ?
I'll take your advice and have a look online for vids on how to do it.

Thanks a lot Aniket!

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Oh so basically I gotta open up the back panel, clean/brush the dust and dirt away and put the lid back on yes ?
I'll take your advice and have a look online for vids on how to do it.

Thanks a lot Aniket!
Glad to help. Just be careful to drain you static electricity first before touching internal components..
Again internet is you friend if you dunno what I mean ;)

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Lenovo isn't going to price it that high. They aren't stupid.
Well I bet they certainly aren't stupid to turn up a loss. The y50 with some below par components started at 80k. So if they actually put in an IPS panel and 960m and good components, not even god can make them price it similar to y50 or lesser. And don't forget the inflation rate buddy

vineetpratik

Broken In
Sorry to hear that the lag is still there. If u are willing how about a clean install instead of re-install from the onekey recovery? That will most definitely solve the lag. Clean install will remove the lenovo's bloatware and you can download the latest drivers from lenovo site or get the same from the lenovo partition on the laptop.

Or you can install windows 7 on it. I did for a brief time and it worked fine but I like windows 8.1 better so I reverted back to it. Your choice.
Note that if your OKR is working fine now it will work after clean installing windows also as long as you don't change the c drive partition size.

can you please guide me how do i clean install windows without breaking the one key recovery and losing all my stuff on HDD ?

vineetpratik

Broken In
can someone tell me how do i clean install windows without breaking the one key recovery and losing all my stuff on HDD ?
help appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to help. Just be careful to drain you static electricity first before touching internal components..
Again internet is you friend if you dunno what I mean ;)
how do we drain static electricity ?

invengene

Right off the assembly line
Stop waiting fr it. Get Asus. Better build.

Y50 1 is a disappointment, I don't think y50 2 will be any alienware.

While I agree that the Y50 v1 had a disappointing screen and thermal throttling, those same problems are solved in y50 v2. And it seems more VFM than others in its price range. Alternatively, I would have bought the Acer Nitro V (refresh) but there's no chance for it to be released here in India AFAIK. So I'm very very eagerly waiting for it to be released here in India (for warranty).

Anyway, in case I'm missing something, do you know any Asus model which can beat it in terms of specs and VFM and is in the same price bracket?

vineetpratik

Broken In
While I agree that the Y50 v1 had a disappointing screen and thermal throttling, those same problems are solved in y50 v2. And it seems more VFM than others in its price range. Alternatively, I would have bought the Acer Nitro V (refresh) but there's no chance for it to be released here in India AFAIK. So I'm very very eagerly waiting for it to be released here in India (for warranty).

Anyway, in case I'm missing something, do you know any Asus model which can beat it in terms of specs and VFM and is in the same price bracket?

y50 just had disappointing screen, (that can be improved a lot by simple display caliberation) rest i perfectly fine , there is practically little or no thermal throttling when you play games even on maximum gpu load the temperatures are not very high, Presently there is no better offering from other brands

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
y50 just had disappointing screen, (that can be improved a lot by simple display caliberation) rest i perfectly fine , there is practically little or no thermal throttling when you play games even on maximum gpu load the temperatures are not very high, Presently there is no better offering from other brands
If you say that calibration improves the screen a lot, you my friend don't know what is a good screen. The rest of the stuff is good. I never said they are bad. But they are not the best. Lenovo still has a monopoly business in that price range and hence they have bigger sales with such mediocre machines.

And the lan card is pretty bad as well, I have had frequent drops in connection when playing online. Also the keyboard is sub par compared to y510 ( I like that better)

And need I say anything on the software front. Man its horrendous. So much so that you have to do a clean os install. Please tell me why should you have to go through so much hassle even after paying 80k?

To spice things up a bit more, the 960m is basically the same chip as 860m almost a rebadge. So is the price difference justified? Ask yourself that before you go to buy.

Don't defend the machine just coz you own it. Even I own it BTW and I now feel a desktop would have been a cheaper and better investment.

Last edited:

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
can someone tell me how do i clean install windows without breaking the one key recovery and losing all my stuff on HDD ?
help appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

how do we drain static electricity ?
The clean os install tutorial is in this forum. Please browse through the previous pages a bit.

You can drain static electricity by touching a conducting surface before you touch the semiconductors. A conducting surface can be the metal casing of ur computer cabinet or laptop chassis :)

Top Bottom