The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Either way you have to cancel right? Coz they dont deliver to trivandrum. And they will take up to a month to return your money :/

The time might be less also. All the best. This is really sucky on lenovos part.

croma

Broken In
Else I could give them an address in Mumbai. My brother lives there. I can ask him to bring it here.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Else I could give them an address in Mumbai. My brother lives there. I can ask him to bring it here.
Do that then. U will also get the extended warranty that way. Make sure to ask them to put the date on the bill as the day u made the purchase.

nitinvertigo

Broken In
Hello everyone
I had purchased Lenovo Y50 and used the original windows 8.1 shipped with it for four months. I was getting a battery life of close to 5Hrs. Then last week I clean installed Windows 8.1 (original). But after booting into windows the action center was giving an error message that "Compatibility issue between your power management system and Windows.Your power management system isn't compatible with this version of Windows.The model name of your power management system is Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller."
Then I installed Lenovo Energy management software and this error never came again. But my battery life is very less compared to initial state. Intially it was close to 5 hrs but now I am getting 2-2.5 hrs. All the programs remain the same except Kaspersky Internet Security. Initially it was 2014, now after clean install it is 2015. In the energy manager I see that when windows starts KIS takes upto 90% of battery. But after some use it decreases to less than 1%.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution? I am thinking that it might be software issue because battery is relatively new but I maybe wrong. However in the Energy Manager it is showing battery status as Normal. Please help!

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Hello everyone
I had purchased Lenovo Y50 and used the original windows 8.1 shipped with it for four months. I was getting a battery life of close to 5Hrs. Then last week I clean installed Windows 8.1 (original). But after booting into windows the action center was giving an error message that "Compatibility issue between your power management system and Windows.Your power management system isn't compatible with this version of Windows.The model name of your power management system is Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller."
Then I installed Lenovo Energy management software and this error never came again. But my battery life is very less compared to initial state. Intially it was close to 5 hrs but now I am getting 2-2.5 hrs. All the programs remain the same except Kaspersky Internet Security. Initially it was 2014, now after clean install it is 2015. In the energy manager I see that when windows starts KIS takes upto 90% of battery. But after some use it decreases to less than 1%.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution? I am thinking that it might be software issue because battery is relatively new but I maybe wrong. However in the Energy Manager it is showing battery status as Normal. Please help!
Do a gauge reset and see. Also uninstall your antivirus and then see.

Taking both scenarios (I.e before and after the os reinstall) were you on high performance both times. Coz high performance and full brightness gives me only 3 hours. Never 5. 5 on power saver maybe but never tried it.

nitinvertigo

Broken In

Taking both scenarios (I.e before and after the os reinstall) were you on high performance both times. Coz high performance and full brightness gives me only 3 hours. Never 5. 5 on power saver maybe but never tried it.

before reinstall the setting was balanced and 50% brightness. I watched two hindi movies back to back. Also the wifi was on entire time but I was not surfing or downloading anything. After reinstall though the setting is powersaver and 20% brightness with keyboard lights off and only wifi browsing.NO videos.

I was skeptical about gauge reset because some people have reported that their battery life reduced after doing it. As for the antivirus I am checking it right now

jakephilips

Broken In
i had a similar issue... horrible lagging in performance and certain software started uninstalling itself after a reboot. Finally my antivirus stopped working ,GPU settings bar wouldnt load and i lost the ability to restart the laptop. Infinite loading screen! i jst did a fresh factory reset and things seem to be back to normal now. Still facing the stuttering HDD issue when it comes to playing videos. If any one has a solution besides installing a SSD (wich i cant afford at the mo) please let me kno.
Peace

nitinvertigo

Broken In
i had a similar issue... horrible lagging in performance and certain software started uninstalling itself after a reboot. Finally my antivirus stopped working ,GPU settings bar wouldnt load and i lost the ability to restart the laptop. Infinite loading screen! i jst did a fresh factory reset and things seem to be back to normal now. Still facing the stuttering HDD issue when it comes to playing videos. If any one has a solution besides installing a SSD (wich i cant afford at the mo) please let me kno.
Peace

Removing Indexing and Hibernation did the trick for me

Head Banger

Journeyman
Hey guys, I want to install windows 8 again. Can someone give me rough instructions on how to do it?. Lenovo provided no Windows CD/DVD.

nitinvertigo

Broken In
Thanks bro... doin it right now. Will update soon.
:)

- - - Updated - - -

problem still persists... any other suggestions?! :(

There are a few more things u can try...
1. Defragment your HDD using a good third party tool like tuneup utilities(i use it myself)
2. check ur antivirus....I had mcafee which was highly resource hogging so I removed it and installed Kaspersky. It has an option that allots system resources to other running programs.
3. Change ur video player and check if the same issue is present in them also. I use SM Player which is excellent.

Also after removing Hibernation did you delete the hiber file from c drive?

As our hdd comes with an 8gb ssd cache,sometimes it takes two or three restarts for the cache to clear. So it is possible that ur hdd performance may improve after some restarts.

- - - Updated - - -

I just installed another antivirus and the battery life improved a lot.It now gives close to 4.5 hrs on power saver and wifi browsing. I had the system without antivirus for some days and during that time the battery was exceptional!. I was getting close to 6hrs on balanced mode with occasional browsing and videos.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
There are a few more things u can try...
1. Defragment your HDD using a good third party tool like tuneup utilities(i use it myself)
2. check ur antivirus....I had mcafee which was highly resource hogging so I removed it and installed Kaspersky. It has an option that allots system resources to other running programs.
3. Change ur video player and check if the same issue is present in them also. I use SM Player which is excellent.

Also after removing Hibernation did you delete the hiber file from c drive?

As our hdd comes with an 8gb ssd cache,sometimes it takes two or three restarts for the cache to clear. So it is possible that ur hdd performance may improve after some restarts.

- - - Updated - - -

I just installed another antivirus and the battery life improved a lot.It now gives close to 4.5 hrs on power saver and wifi browsing. I had the system without antivirus for some days and during that time the battery was exceptional!. I was getting close to 6hrs on balanced mode with occasional browsing and videos.
As expected. Antiviruses the bane of systems. Too bad they are required for crappy isps that come bundled with a lot of virus.

jakephilips

Broken In
I use Advaced System Care the latest version. Ive always used this on all my previous laptops as well.
Avast Internet Security is what I've installed ,which also the latest version with regular updates. Its very light on system resources.
VLC has always been my default player since like forever. I'm pretty sure its not a VLC issue cos i use 5 esternal HDDs all of them work just fine wen I watch movies directly from them.
I use two laptops; my old Acer which I got 3 years ago runs all the above mentioned apps flawlessly. Its still working just fine.
I will definitely defrag my drive tho..
I did not delete the hiber file from C: will look into that as well.
Thaks for the reply... really appreciate it. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I use Advaced System Care the latest version. Ive always used this on all my previous laptops as well.
Avast Internet Security is what I've installed ,which also the latest version with regular updates. Its very light on system resources.
VLC has always been my default player since like forever. I'm pretty sure its not a VLC issue cos i use 5 esternal HDDs all of them work just fine wen I watch movies directly from them.
I use two laptops; my old Acer which I got 3 years ago runs all the above mentioned apps flawlessly. Its still working just fine.
Thaks for the reply... really appreciate it. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. :)

OK, I'm just full of good news today.
I did a windows update and now when I try to restart my lap its just says restarting and there's an infinite loading screen!!! I am beyond pissed off. I just spent all of last night defragging my HDD and I'm still facing all the same issues. Please help!!!

Last edited:

nitinvertigo

Broken In

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I'm just full of good news today.
I did a windows update and now when I try to restart my lap its just says restarting and there's an infinite loading screen!!! I am beyond pissed off. I just spent all of last night defragging my HDD and I'm still facing all the same issues. Please help!!!

It looks like windows update might have been broken. If you are able to start your system then either you can use system restore to restore to an earlier point and then try updating again or if the update happened, just uninstall the updates that you did on that day and then try updating again.

As for the HDD lag it might be that ur HDD is faulty..check your HDD read/write speed and compare it with the one on notebookcheck.com. if there is a huge difference I suggest u better contact lenovo for replacement.

However it might not be an HDD issue. How about you reset/reinstall your windows and check? It mostly works for everyone.

I did not mean that vlc has an issue or something. I just meant that our laptop's HDD in not that fast and has an issue with vlc where the video lags horribly. Its happens every 30secs. However after clean installing windows, the lag is barely noticable. It occurs once in 1 hr or sometimes doesn't occur at all.

Last edited:

jakephilips

Broken In
So I had to reinstall windows all over again! Got a blue screen system failure. Luckily my one button recovery still worked. I decided not to do any updates until I absolutely need to. Cos this is the second time I'm facing such issues after doing an update. Dnt know why. I will run the HDD check and let you know if there's a huge difference. Thanks again mate! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I tested my HDD. These are the results

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 Shizuku Edition x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : *crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 96.795 MB/s
Sequential Write : 88.615 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 35.396 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 55.257 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.422 MB/s [ 102.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.173 MB/s [ 286.3 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.070 MB/s [ 261.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.155 MB/s [ 282.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 16.3% (32.7/200.4 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2015/02/09 19:31:42

Please let me know if they are below the recommended rates. Thanks

nitinvertigo

Broken In
So I had to reinstall windows all over again! Got a blue screen system failure. Luckily my one button recovery still worked. I decided not to do any updates until I absolutely need to. Cos this is the second time I'm facing such issues after doing an update. Dnt know why. I will run the HDD check and let you know if there's a huge difference. Thanks again mate! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I tested my HDD. These are the results

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 Shizuku Edition x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 96.795 MB/s
Sequential Write : 88.615 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 35.396 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 55.257 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.422 MB/s [ 102.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.173 MB/s [ 286.3 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.070 MB/s [ 261.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.155 MB/s [ 282.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 16.3% (32.7/200.4 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2015/02/09 19:31:42

Please let me know if they are below the recommended rates. Thanks

The values for your HDD are in par with the normal values for this HDD. So i guess we can rule out faulty HDD.
Are you still facing the lag after re-install?
As for the updates, its better to have windows update enabled but don't let it check automatically. Do it manually once a week that too after creating a system restore point to be on the safe side. Updates can be very useful for ironing out issues with windows.

jakephilips

Broken In
The values for your HDD are in par with the normal values for this HDD. So i guess we can rule out faulty HDD.
Are you still facing the lag after re-install?
As for the updates, its better to have windows update enabled but don't let it check automatically. Do it manually once a week that too after creating a system restore point to be on the safe side. Updates can be very useful for ironing out issues with windows.

Lag is still present. It's annoying but I'm gona live with it. I've lost faith in windows updates for 8.1. My Acer runs 7 Home premium and updates on a regular basis no issues for the past 3 years! Cnt wait to upgrade to W10.

nitinvertigo

Broken In
Lag is still present. It's annoying but I'm gona live with it. I've lost faith in windows updates for 8.1. My Acer runs 7 Home premium and updates on a regular basis no issues for the past 3 years! Cnt wait to upgrade to W10.

Sorry to hear that the lag is still there. If u are willing how about a clean install instead of re-install from the onekey recovery? That will most definitely solve the lag. Clean install will remove the lenovo's bloatware and you can download the latest drivers from lenovo site or get the same from the lenovo partition on the laptop.

Or you can install windows 7 on it. I did for a brief time and it worked fine but I like windows 8.1 better so I reverted back to it. Your choice.
Note that if your OKR is working fine now it will work after clean installing windows also as long as you don't change the c drive partition size.

jakephilips

Broken In
Sorry to hear that the lag is still there. If u are willing how about a clean install instead of re-install from the onekey recovery? That will most definitely solve the lag. Clean install will remove the lenovo's bloatware and you can download the latest drivers from lenovo site or get the same from the lenovo partition on the laptop.

Or you can install windows 7 on it. I did for a brief time and it worked fine but I like windows 8.1 better so I reverted back to it. Your choice.
Note that if your OKR is working fine now it will work after clean installing windows also as long as you don't change the c drive partition size.

Hey all, for those still experiencing lag issues - video and HDD stuttering, i found THE solution!! So far its workin jst fine no stuttering in any of the last 20 videos ive played!! :)
All you have to do is install a free software called Quiet HDD.
Its a very small file and it runs in the background preventing the stutter. Brilliant stuff.
If any of you try it, update us on your experiences.
Cheers
PS: thanks nitin for your help and suggestions. Give this a go!! :)

Top Bottom