The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

little

Journeyman
But whatever you do - make sure you create a recovery drive first, so in future you can always do the factory reset. While you create the recovery drive, make sure you tick the box where it says "Copy the recovery partition........."
Good luck

Thanks.
There is no such check box. Please have a look at the images.
*imgur.com/a/LuKfY

Kamal17

Broken In
Thanks.
There is no such check box. Please have a look at the images.
*imgur.com/a/LuKfY

If you take backup from OKR, that wont be an actual factory reset. That would take backup of current system image.

For factory reset/recovery - follow this -

*forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and...hinkPad-Thinkcentre-ThinkStation/ta-p/1042103

Let me know if are stuck. Its very easy though.

little

Journeyman
If you take backup from OKR, that wont be an actual factory reset. That would take backup of current system image.

For factory reset/recovery - follow this -

*forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and...hinkPad-Thinkcentre-ThinkStation/ta-p/1042103

Let me know if are stuck. Its very easy though.

Made a recovery drive on a pen drive. :)

panzer1

Broken In
Yes I tried plugging in the headphone jack. It won't go in fully. It is a Nokia standard earphone I'm trying to plug in.

little

Journeyman
Anyone who has purchased it recently and haven't uninstalled the bloatware? Can you please upload a screenshot of notification area (bottom right corner) showing hidden icons.

sapphirephoenix

New to this forum
Can anyone be kind enough to PM me the address of a Nehru Place, New Delhi dealership they bought the Y50 from? I'm looking to get the 4GB one (I know, not out yet) but would like to check out a demo unit if possible.

Also, thank you to everyone who's been posting on this thread, it really helped make my decision! I'll contribute myself when I have the laptop in my hands.

got my lenovo y50 with 4gb 860m today in hyderabad himayathnagar showroom for 78,500rs . 4gb is selling like hot cakes. They had only one piece and I was the lucky man. There is almost no stock in hyderabad right now.

They didnt give extended warranty.

First impressions:

1. screen is terrible when compared to my 5 year old laptop. I have a samsung 1366x768 screen in my five year old dell laptop studio 1555. That screen is mind blowing when comapared to lenovo.

2. Lot of bloatware. I did not remove it totally but have speeded up by system by disabling the notification in every bloatware. So now my notification area has only mcafee and realtek audio manager.

3. Startup and shutting down speeds are average. I will change to ssd in next year probably.Short of cash right now.

4. touchpad sucks. My dell laptop's touchpad is 100% better than this shitty lenovo touchpad.

5. Battery life is average. Not good for a 78,000 laptop. My five year old dell laptop has a 9 cell removable battery. If I buy a new battery for my dell laptop I will get 4 hours screen time at maximum brightness. Lenovo y50 is getting only 3 hours.

6. Gpu is very cool when comapred to my old dell. It is 500% faster than my old dell laptop.

7. Speakers are not that loud. My dell laptop is 100% better.

Overall lenovo put a ferrari gpu in a corolla body.Right now lenovo y50 is the fastest laptop under 1lakh in our country.

No other laptop is faster than lenovo y50 right now. Lenovo has sold 300 4gb versions of this laptop in a week. This is a record in india's laptop history. You must be a lucky person if u buy to find the 4gb version of lenovo y50.

little

Journeyman
Can anyone be kind enough to PM me the address of a Nehru Place, New Delhi dealership they bought the Y50 from? I'm looking to get the 4GB one (I know, not out yet) but would like to check out a demo unit if possible.

Also, thank you to everyone who's been posting on this thread, it really helped make my decision! I'll contribute myself when I have the laptop in my hands.

I bought the 4GB version from ACME Lifecare in Nehru Place a few days ago. That was the last piece in their showroom and it wasn't available in any other stores at that time. Check in "Unique......." stores in Nehru Place. They might have a piece.

chetan.g

Journeyman
got my lenovo y50 with 4gb 860m today in hyderabad himayathnagar showroom for 78,500rs . 4gb is selling like hot cakes. They had only one piece and I was the lucky man. There is almost no stock in hyderabad right now.

First impressions:

1. screen is terrible when compared to my 5 year old laptop. I have a samsung 1366x768 screen in my five year old dell laptop studio 1555. That screen is mind blowing when comapared to lenovo.

2. Lot of bloatware. I did not remove it totally but have speeded up by system by disabling the notification in every bloatware. So now my notification area has only mcafee and realtek audio manager.

3. Startup and shutting down speeds are average. I will change to ssd in next year probably.Short of cash right now.

4. touchpad sucks. My dell laptop's touchpad is 100% better than this shitty lenovo touchpad.

5. Battery life is average. Not good for a 78,000 laptop. My five year old dell laptop has a 9 cell removable battery. If I buy a new battery for my dell laptop I will get 4 hours screen time at maximum brightness. Lenovo y50 is getting only 3 hours.

6. Gpu is very cool when comapred to my old dell. It is 500% faster than my old dell laptop.

7. Speakers are not that loud. My dell laptop is 100% better.

Overall lenovo put a ferrari gpu in a corolla body.Right now lenovo y50 is the fastest laptop under 1lakh in our country.

No other laptop is faster than lenovo y50 right now. Lenovo has sold 300 4gb versions of this laptop in a week. This is a record in india's laptop history. You must be a lucky person if u buy to find the 4gb version of lenovo y50.

Thanks for this valuable info .. serioulsy need it .. thanks..

little

Journeyman
I'm having a little problem with my touchpad, two-finger-tap for right click isn't working. I remember it wasn't working out of the box. I guess it's a driver issue. I tried updating my touchpad driver with latest generic Synaptics driver but that fails to install. Any suggestions??

nrvpnchl

Broken In
I'm having a little problem with my touchpad, two-finger-tap for right click isn't working. I remember it wasn't working out of the box. I guess it's a driver issue. I tried updating my touchpad driver with latest generic Synaptics driver but that fails to install. Any suggestions??

To install drivers from Synaptics, you'll have to disable driver signature enforcement :
Go to advance startup > troubleshoot > advanced options > startup option > restart.
then select 'disable driver signature enforcement'

paw1

Broken In

First impressions:

Oh man. I don't feel like accepting such a compromise when spending 80k on a laptop. Are you sure there is no exaggeration here?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
If you call that exaggeration. What would you call this.

Sourced from - Lenovo Y50 review: This $1200 gaming laptop needs a better display

"Lenovo’s most egregious sin was choosing an absolutely abysmal LCD panel. It’s one of the worst HD screens I’ve ever used. It’s dim, it’s lousy at color reproduction, and it looks even worse when viewed even slightly off-axis. It just looks blurry to me. The screen is so ugly I found myself not wanting to use the laptop even to watch movies, let alone play games."

little

Journeyman
To install drivers from Synaptics, you'll have to disable driver signature enforcement :
Go to advance startup > troubleshoot > advanced options > startup option > restart.
then select 'disable driver signature enforcement'

Thanks. It worked. But another thing broke down. :p As I was suspecting, I can no longer disable my trackpad using Fn+F6 combination. And trackpad LED no longer lights up when trackpad is disabled.

Trackpad is performing much better with this driver.

A.Asesh

Broken In
I was following this thread from about a month and I had decided to go for the 4gb version.But suddenly such bad reviews about screen..!! Please someone clarify the fact.. coz I neither have probs with touchpad..nor with battery backup..but screen is one thing which anyone would expect to be better than hd wled normal screens (I have the same screen lenovo z580) and is there some prob with wifi connectivity too ?
Someone please clarify these 2 facts !!
I was thinking to buy this during the diwali festival offers.

Kamal17

Broken In
I will tell my personal opinion - For 80k its not worth it. Atleast not for me.

I had to get a SSD, because I had ssd on my previous laptop too - I spent an extra 30k because I got 1 TB.
I didnt like the screen - So, I spent another 9k on the screen, bought from US.
I dont like the wifi range too - I may change the wifi card in future, who knows - another 4k-5k

So, I wasn't happy with my purchase and spent quite a bit of money to make it perfect.

But yeah, I don't game - I bought it for my work and I know I will make my money back in no time.

I do have one friend, who bought it for gaming, he is happy with the screen, wifi etc - though he did get a 512GB ssd.

So, obviously there are some issues here and there.

I would say, if you are tight on budget, make sure you check the machine at exclusive stores and play with it for 15 minutes and see if this is for you or not. Don't let these "extended warranty" offers fool you - feel the machine in your hands and then decide. Good luck.

My 2 cents!

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I will tell my personal opinion - For 80k its not worth it. Atleast not for me.

I had to get a SSD, because I had ssd on my previous laptop too - I spent an extra 30k because I got 1 TB.
I didnt like the screen - So, I spent another 9k on the screen, bought from US.
I dont like the wifi range too - I may change the wifi card in future, who knows - another 4k-5k

So, I wasn't happy with my purchase and spent quite a bit of money to make it perfect.

But yeah, I don't game - I bought it for my work and I know I will make my money back in no time.

I do have one friend, who bought it for gaming, he is happy with the screen, wifi etc - though he did get a 512GB ssd.

So, obviously there are some issues here and there.

I would say, if you are tight on budget, make sure you check the machine at exclusive stores and play with it for 15 minutes and see if this is for you or not. Don't let these "extended warranty" offers fool you - feel the machine in your hands and then decide. Good luck.

My 2 cents!

The thing is....if you want the best, obviously you have to dish out cold hard cash. Lenovo cannot give you that because of budget restraints. You are on your own to make it perfect. imo no company gives you the perfect machine.

I too did similar things to my Y500.
1.Added an extra GPU for 10k.
2.Added a SSD for 8k.
3.Repasted with Arctic Silver V and then again with IC Diamond for 600+5k.
4.I am considering getting a Intel 7260 but I guess I'd rather buy another laptop.
5.Overclocked to GTX860m+ performance level.

- - - Updated - - -

6.Also new PSU for 6k.

Top Bottom