The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

vineetpratik

Broken In
Got call from lenovo local manager manager.
Told him to order the Y50 with model no 59-431090, he said it is in stock and he would inform me as soon as he receives the model ,should get it within 2-3 days waiting eagerly now :)

chillz88

Broken In
Got call from lenovo local manager manager.
Told him to order the Y50 with model no 59-431090, he said it is in stock and he would inform me as soon as he receives the model ,should get it within 2-3 days waiting eagerly now :)

will be asking him to replace my 2gb lenovo y50 with that too... its safe right and the wiser decision right? maxwel?

tkyopandaman

Broken In
Hey guys,

So here is something you all might want to read.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread that I got my Lenovo y50 from the Exclusive Store in Noida. This purchase was made on the 1st of August. Hence its been 2 weeks since I have bought it and have been using it.

The usage has been pretty normal, nothing too extreme with the temps. staying well under the limits. Not feeling HOT or anything, just "a bit" warm. The games that I have been playing are also not that demanding, i.e. Diablo 3, Rift Online, World of Warcraft, Bioshock:Infinite (maybe Bioshock "a bit" demanding)

So now, to get to the point.

Everything was working fine and great till yesterday (in fact till last evening). When I started to play Diablo 3, I saw the FPS went down DRASTICALLY, and I mean WENT DOWN! I was usually playing at around 70-90 fps on ULTRA and last night it was showing me 20-30 fps on ULTRA.
SO naturally I freaked out! I had no idea what was going on. SO I quit that game an tried another, World of Warcraft, same issue.

Now I decided to check the GPU settings, so I right-clicked on the desktop to bring up the menu and VIOLA! What I saw was that there was NO NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL option. I went into DEVICE MANAGER and POOF, no Nvidia GPU. Only the in-built Intel HD 4600 Graphics.

I called up Lenovo and they guided me on the phone with any support issues. We checked everything, even the BIOS and there was no Nvidia GPU. So finally, the Lenovo rep. told me to do a complete One-Key Recovery. I did that too and after that I checked again (by right-clicking the desktop) for the Nvidia Control Panel. Its still not there.
And in fact when I did right-click the desktop, it took 15-20 seconds for the menu to come up!

I have no idea what is going on here and as I am typing this, I am on the phone with the Lenovo rep.

Any ideas.... ??

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey guys,

As I mentioned earlier on this thread that I got my Lenovo y50 from the Exclusive Store in Noida. This purchase was made on the 1st of August. Hence its been 2 weeks since I have bought it and have been using it.

The usage has been pretty normal, nothing too extreme with the temps. staying well under the limits. Not feeling HOT or anything, just "a bit" warm. The games that I have been playing are also not that demanding, i.e. Diablo 3, Rift Online, World of Warcraft, Bioshock:Infinite (maybe Bioshock "a bit" demanding)

Everything was working fine and great till yesterday (in fact till last evening). When I started to play Diablo 3, I saw the FPS went down DRASTICALLY, and I mean WENT DOWN! I was usually playing at around 70-90 fps on ULTRA and last night it was showing me 20-30 fps on ULTRA.
SO naturally I freaked out! I had no idea what was going on. SO I quit that game an tried another, World of Warcraft, same issue.

Now I decided to check the GPU settings, so I right-clicked on the desktop to bring up the menu and VIOLA! What I saw was that there was NO NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL option. I went into DEVICE MANAGER and POOF, no Nvidia GPU. Only the in-built Intel HD 4600 Graphics.

I called up Lenovo and they guided me on the phone with any support issues. We checked everything, even the BIOS and there was no Nvidia GPU. So finally, the Lenovo rep. told me to do a complete One-Key Recovery. I did that too and after that I checked again (by right-clicking the desktop) for the Nvidia Control Panel. Its still not there.
And in fact when I did right-click the desktop, it took 15-20 seconds for the menu to come up!

I have no idea what is going on here and as I am typing this, I am on the phone with the Lenovo rep.

Any ideas.... ??

Try installing the latest drivers from geforce.com

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Hey guys,

Any ideas.... ??

try uninstalling nvidia drivers then after a system reboot install the driver from the partition marked "lenovo" (look for video/nvidia driver setup)

let me know how it goes..

tkyopandaman

Broken In
Tried doing that.

After the installation starts and the software starts searching for compatibility it says that there is "No compatible graphics card present on this system"

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Guys just got the 4gb model. Maxwell gm107 confirmed. More to follow soon

+1 let us know more abt this one

- - - Updated - - -

Tried doing that.

After the installation starts and the software starts searching for compatibility it says that there is "No compatible graphics card present on this system"

hang on..is that the driver's installer throwing up this ^ error?

if you used drivers directly from nvidia's web then rollback, reboot and try using the driver provided by lenovo cause that'll work for sure..you'll know why am saying this if you'll google it up :]

+ there is a way to install the driver(those from nvidia's web) by modding the driver setup files and use it but I won't recommend you that..for now..

Last edited:

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Did all of you have the shitty atheros wifi card? It isn't even ac

welcome to the club braaah:-D

oh..it's from "Qualcomm Atheros"..show some respect:-D (did atheros got acquired by Qualcomm? AFAIR atheros was a separate company)

and somebody was saying that lenovo won't use "cheaper" quality components in their machines..:-D
:wink:

one final thought:

- the diff of 3k INR (2gb/4gb) can be used to procure an SSD instead if the buyer goes for the 2gb variant; but ofc within 2 months we'll see the price drop atleast for the 2gb variant

- get things which you deem fit for your own use and not exceed for the time being(ikr right..we asians want more ..and more); and so is the saying.."laalach buri bala"

- I don't play games which/will require >2gb of vid mem( [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] is also right some* game(s) might require >2gb of vid mem but I would rather go get myself the other upgrades and boost the overall perf. instead of just focusing on some* game(s) which supposedly are badly optimized(<-- infact I don't see them that way..cause they are complex at their core..but ofc there is always room for optimz. & in UBI's case we need a heck of it:-D)) and certainly 4gb of vid mem won't provide perf. out of this world with an 860m..hahaa..but yes an SSD + sys ram upgrade == awesome!

for others:
- Maxwell? smh... pascal is coming:cool: so just hang on..1080m FTW! #sep 2k14 for nvidia's pub. announce and init. manuf. from 2k15end /16

again* I will advise new buyers to get the 4gb variant if they are not limited by budget; most* imp.'ly* I would advise them to get it from US (would come for cheap $$ with the "ac" WiFi card)

- - - Updated - - -

Tried doing that.

any update(s)?

Last edited:
OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Did all of you have the shitty atheros wifi card? It isn't even ac

Why do you even need the ac card? It is practically useless in India. Indian routers don't support ac speeds. Heck, they can't even max out 'n' band speeds. 'ac' is only for USA.

- - - Updated - - -

oh..it's from "Qualcomm Atheros"..show some respect:-D (did atheros got acquired by Qualcomm? AFAIR atheros was a separate company)

and somebody was saying that lenovo won't use "cheaper" quality components in their machines..:-D

one final thought:

- the diff of 3k INR (2gb/4gb) can be used to procure an SSD instead if the buyer goes for the 2gb variant; but ofc within 2 months we'll see the price drop atleast for the 2gb variant

- get things which you deem fit for your own use and not exceed for the time being(ikr right..we asians want more ..and more); and so is the saying.."laalach buri bala"

- I don't play games which/will require >2gb of vid mem( [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] is also right some* game(s) might require >2gb of vid mem but I would rather go get myself the other upgrades and boost the overall perf. instead of just focusing on some* game(s) which supposedly are badly optimized(<-- infact I don't see them that way..cause they are complex at their core..but ofc there is always room for optimz. & in UBI's case we need a heck of it:-D)) and certainly 4gb of vid mem won't provide perf. out of this world with an 860m..hahaa..but yes an SSD + sys ram upgrade == awesome!

for others:
- Maxwell? smh... pascal is coming:cool: so just hang on..1080m FTW! #sep 2k14 for nvidia's pub. announce and init. manuf. from 2k15end /16

again* I will advise new buyers to get the 4gb variant if they are not limited by budget; most* imp.'ly* I would advise them to get it from US (would come for cheap $$ with the "ac" WiFi card)

- - - Updated - - -

any update(s)?

All Indian laptop retailers use the b/g/n band LAN cards because ac cards are useless in India. Don't thrash Lenovo on this one. You'll be old and senile before ac speeds reach India lol.
You can't get a quality SSD in 3k bucks. You need a budget of at least 6k to procure a good 256GB SSD. 128GB is too low for an Internal drive.

I agree that RAM+SSD is a better upgrade than 2GB more vRAM in terms of immediate performance but the thing is you can always get these 2 later but you can't upgrade GPU vRAM.
Also for RAM upgrade 8GB stick=6k, 256 EVO=6k so basically 12k more. You are getting a moderately better gaming performance in some games for a mere 3k more which makes your laptop future proof. Why not take this deal?

So do you have both the Y510p and Y50?

vineetpratik

Broken In
Why do you even need the ac card? It is practically useless in India. Indian routers don't support ac speeds. Heck, they can't even max out 'n' band speeds. 'ac' is only for USA.

- - - Updated - - -

All Indian laptop retailers use the b/g/n band LAN cards because ac cards are useless in India. Don't thrash Lenovo on this one. You'll be old and senile before ac speeds reach India lol.
You can't get a quality SSD in 3k bucks. You need a budget of at least 6k to procure a good 256GB SSD. 128GB is too low for an Internal drive.

I agree that RAM+SSD is a better upgrade than 2GB more vRAM in terms of immediate performance but the thing is you can always get these 2 later but you can't upgrade GPU vRAM.
Also for RAM upgrade 8GB stick=6k, 256 EVO=6k so basically 12k more. You are getting a moderately better gaming performance in some games for a mere 3k more which makes your laptop future proof. Why not take this deal?

+1
they can be upgraded later any time :-D
And spending 3k for future proofing is a good deal for a laptop of price 77k , and not everyone would like to stay away from watchdogs or upcoming open world games.

chetan.g

Journeyman
Hey guys,

Any ideas.... ??

opsss .... wtf ... just throw that piece to the dealer and demand for refund or new piece (may be u have faulty piece) + write a mail to lenevo customer care, bcc to higher management... do no compromise. !!!

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006

- - - Updated - - -

if speeds can't reach India..then we can reach them speeds:-D
lol ofc no one can buy an SSD in 3k:|

nope I just have the y50 with me.

tkyopandaman

Broken In
opsss .... wtf ... just throw that piece to the dealer and demand for refund or new piece (may be u have faulty piece) + write a mail to lenevo customer care, bcc to higher management... do no compromise. !!!

Hey Chetan,

Yea I was on the phone with the Lenovo rep's today for almost 4 hrs !! We tried nearly EVERYTHING!!
The Lenovo rep guy also took remote control access through some Lenovo software (similar to Teamviewer)

So the basic conclusion is that he has arranged for the Lenovo engineer to come to my place and to REPLACE the MOTHERBOARD.
I spoke to a few friends of mine as well and they told me that its also a possibility that the Nvidia GPU may have gotten fried ! (I don't know how that's possible, but oh well)

- - - Updated - - -

one final thought:

for others:

- - - Updated - - -

any update(s)?

Hey Prometheus,

I tried what you said above and nope. Even if I roll back, uninstall, re-install, do the ONE-KEY Recovery, it gives the same error.

Also after the One-Key Recovery, my computer seems to have become SLOW. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, even right-clicking the desktop opens the window after 15-20 secs!!

What the hell is going on ?
If, as the Lenovo guy said, replacing the motherboard will solve the graphic situation, will it solve this "slow-ness" as well.

I didn't really expect this from Lenovo..I mean a laptop like 2 weeks old and the graphics card gone (boom).

Very strange..... :-(

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Hey Chetan,

Yea I was on the phone with the Lenovo rep's today for almost 4 hrs !! We tried nearly EVERYTHING!!
The Lenovo rep guy also took remote control access through some Lenovo software (similar to Teamviewer)

So the basic conclusion is that he has arranged for the Lenovo engineer to come to my place and to REPLACE the MOTHERBOARD.
I spoke to a few friends of mine as well and they told me that its also a possibility that the Nvidia GPU may have gotten fried ! (I don't know how that's possible, but oh well)

the factory drivers should work if it's just a case of driver getting corrupted/windows update installing the WDDM x.x ?

don't settle for a mobo replacement! PM me I guess we need to talk to the store mgr. 1:1

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Chetan,

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Prometheus,

I tried what you said above and nope. Even if I roll back, uninstall, re-install, do the ONE-KEY Recovery, it gives the same error.

Also after the One-Key Recovery, my computer seems to have become SLOW. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, even right-clicking the desktop opens the window after 15-20 secs!!

What the hell is going on ?
If, as the Lenovo guy said, replacing the motherboard will solve the graphic situation, will it solve this "slow-ness" as well.

I didn't really expect this from Lenovo..I mean a laptop like 2 weeks old and the graphics card gone (boom).

Very strange..... :-(

check PM..

tkyopandaman

Broken In
the factory drivers should work if it's just a case of driver getting corrupted/windows update installing the WDDM x.x ?

don't settle for a mobo replacement! PM me I guess we need to talk to the store mgr. 1:1

- - - Updated - - -

check PM..

not sure if my PMs are going through, so please let me know if you got them.

Thanks

Top Bottom