The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

[MENTION=1159]Thor[/MENTION]
Ok, I gonna try Soluto

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=1159]Thor[/MENTION] thanks,
My boot up time is improved as I delayed some program's startup time.
Now, do I need to keep Soluto?
Can I remove it?

$hadow

Geek in making
Nope checked there as well nothing

i contacted lenovo Services-Executive Director also he said he has informed local team they will get in touch with me that was last week nothing after that, maybe few more people bug him so he can do something

his ID services_ed@lenovo.com

Edit:

btw whats the optimum temp while gaming single gpu

i was playing watchdogs with the recomended settings from geforce experinance medium @ 1600*900 i guess fps was around 40-50 and temp were almost 90 this is with notepal x2 cooler and ambient temp would be around 30-32 i guess not sure.
is it ok should i consider opening and repasting the cpu and gpu is it worth it?
and finally do laptop cooler fan get slower with time, i feel my notepal x2 is not as fast as it used to be i opened it up and cleaned it but nothing changed and the dial to set rpm seems to do nothing now....any help??

90 is fine when it comes to intensive usage. If you are more curious about keeping it under check better replace the thermal plate.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
[MENTION=1159]Thor[/MENTION]
Ok, I gonna try Soluto

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=1159]Thor[/MENTION] thanks,
My boot up time is improved as I delayed some program's startup time.
Now, do I need to keep Soluto?
Can I remove it?

Fantastic. I am happy to see it worked for you.
Well I keep Soluto running in the background, it sends me weekly report on which apps had crashed , which one's are a trouble maker and if new app installation added to the boot time.
It is a kind of heartbeat monitor for your machine.

But you can definitely remove it without problem , and install it back when you feel your machine is slowing down and have a check-up again.
#yourchoice ;-)

goldsmit409

Broken In
90 is fine when it comes to intensive usage. If you are more curious about keeping it under check better replace the thermal plate.

Thermal plate? Cooling pad?
Well 90 is fine but when I play farcry 4 it then lingers around 95 something that makes me worried...
How much does ambient temperature affect here mine is above then normal I guess around 30ish

$hadow

Geek in making
Thermal plate? Cooling pad?
Well 90 is fine but when I play farcry 4 it then lingers around 95 something that makes me worried...
How much does ambient temperature affect here mine is above then normal I guess around 30ish

I had a few instances where the temp reaches the 90 degree mark often. And SLI config sometimes makes the device go out of control. So I changed the thermal plate and now I am able to click 75 to 80 max at hyper intensive usage.

goldsmit409

Broken In
I had a few instances where the temp reaches the 90 degree mark often. And SLI config sometimes makes the device go out of control. So I changed the thermal plate and now I am able to click 75 to 80 max at hyper intensive usage.

Sorry i did not make myself clear i mean to ask what is thermal plate???
are you talking about cooling pad
or that copper color thing inside the laptop near the fan

$hadow

Geek in making
Sorry i did not make myself clear i mean to ask what is thermal plate???
are you talking about cooling pad
or that copper color thing inside the laptop near the fan

Check out this guide Replacing the thermal paste on CPU and graphic card core to Arctic Silver 5 (or any different paste) | NotebookReview

goldsmit409

Broken In
Check out this guide Replacing the thermal paste on CPU and graphic card core to Arctic Silver 5 (or any different paste) | NotebookReview

ok got it thanks, but i think since i am in warranty i will ask the lenovo guys to do it for me dont wanna void its warranty

$hadow

Geek in making
ok got it thanks, but i think since i am in warranty i will ask the lenovo guys to do it for me dont wanna void its warranty

Who cares about warranty if you knew what you are doing and on a side note just check out some videos if you think to DIY.

goldsmit409

Broken In
Who cares about warranty if you knew what you are doing and on a side note just check out some videos if you think to DIY.

normally i dont in my earlier laptop i reflowed the gpu and it worked fine, but for this i got a extended warranty and if something goes south dont wanna take chances right now :)

vito scalleta

In the zone

What brand of thermal paste did u use ???

Did u replace the thermal paste on the GPU too ???

$hadow

Geek in making
What brand of thermal paste did u use ???

Did u replace the thermal paste on the GPU too ???

Used ebay for that. And yes it was a DIY

- - - Updated - - -

normally i dont in my earlier laptop i reflowed the gpu and it worked fine, but for this i got a extended warranty and if something goes south dont wanna take chances right now :)

Well this is good if you want to take precaution.

goldsmit409

Broken In
so i really want a ultrabay now, trying to find it everywhere but found none,

so i am trying to tweet the brains of lenovo and their CEO though he wont reply but still
i tried local service center they said they will check and tell me on monday if parts are present

if someone finds any plz let me know :)

$hadow

Geek in making
Srry . but i was asking about which brand of thermal paste ???
Arctic silver ? Noctua ? or something else ..?

Yeah it was Arctic silver
Amazon.in: Buy Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5G Online at Low Prices in India | Arctic Silver Reviews & Ratings

ashs1

Padawan
Its been 8 months so far..My y510p has performed almost flawlessly...
Some points of concern :

1. It gets hot during gaming..around 80C during gaming..

2. The Internal HDD is a bit slow while reading/Loading ( maybe because of the 5400rpm drive)

Other than that, its been awesome...

$hadow

Geek in making
Its been 8 months so far..My y510p has performed almost flawlessly...
Some points of concern :

1. It gets hot during gaming..around 80C during gaming..

2. The Internal HDD is a bit slow while reading/Loading ( maybe because of the 5400rpm drive)

Other than that, its been awesome...

80 is not hot for gaming even 90 is not considered hot when gaming and for slow hdd use m.2 and see the difference in speed.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys , SOS ...
I think something's f**ked up.

1. I bought the Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD
2. I used the AOMEI Pro edition Partition Manager to copy my Primary Partition ( 103 GB ) to the SSD using the option "Migrate HDD to SSD" in the AOMEI tool.
3. Once the migration was done, I replaced the HDD with the SSD .
4. I tried booting now and got the following error :'( [ I have copied this image from a different site when searching for the error hex code ]

Have any of you faced this problem ?
*neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000e/ talks about a solution. This requires me to create a bootable dvd, now i dont have the optical drive plugged in :p so I am reluctant to go that route.
Maybe I have to check I can do a USB bootable recovery drive and try it out.

*i.imgur.com/5emnu9n.png

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
That sound must be from some object touching CPU fan like wire or most probably excessive dust.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally I got SSD for my Lenovo Y510P!
Its been a little more than a year since I bought fabulous Lenovo Y510P, so I have decided that it should get nice/major upgrades this new year.

Brought few upgrades for it as follows:

1). Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD.
2). HDD Caddy (To replace Optical Drive with HDD).
3). Broadcom 802.11ac 867MBPS WiFi adapter (Ordered from Aliexpress back in October 2014 and received it very recently, Chinese and Indian customs sucks big time!)

I have searched for M.2 2242 SSD but its now not available anywhere so decided to go with currently world's fastest SATA 3 SSD. After installation I had done fresh installation of Windows 8.1 Single Language with Update 3 and latest drivers with software's and noticed huge huge... difference in performance. I believe once the person upgrades to SSD, he/she can't go back to HDD as OS drive.

Hi Udit ...
I have also bought the evo 850 250 gb ssd and have it all set up. I also bought the storite hdd caddy ( which is the same make and model as the one you purchased i believe).
However when I plugin the caddy with the hdd , it doesn't show up as a disk ? Do i need to change anything in the bios ?

ashs1

Padawan
Guys.. My y510p has gone in a boot loop.. Whenever I start the laptop, the lenovo screen comes up, then it is followed by a black screen & then it says "preparing automatic repair".. & then again it boots up..
I can't log onto safe mode nor i am able to use the one touch recovery.

A preliminary Google search says that the HDD might have gone bad and lenovo will replace it..
Now, the main worrying factor is will i be able to backup my data (around 600gb) or is the data lost forever?? Lots of important stuff on it

P.S: Talk about bad luck.. All problems usually occurs on a weekend when service centres are closed

Top Bottom