The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

anirbanhere

Broken In
Well I have got a problem which I think is more of a Windows 8 problem than y510 problem :-
Sometimes my Lappy boots up with a different user account than mine, though the name is same there are no shortcuts in desktop or start menu.
But when i restart it logs on automatically the admin user account which is mine by default. STRANGE !!!
And there is only one user account (which is the administrator).

Could you suggest some good cooling pads? First and foremost requirement is that it has to be slim!!!
Why not get a cooling pad for it and a good one not to mention.

$hadow

Geek in making
Well I have got a problem which I think is more of a Windows 8 problem than y510 problem :-
Sometimes my Lappy boots up with a different user account than mine, though the name is same there are no shortcuts in desktop or start menu.
But when i restart it logs on automatically the admin user account which is mine by default. STRANGE !!!

Could you suggest some good cooling pads? First and foremost requirement is that it has to be slim!!!
Cooler Master Notpal X3 - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com I am using this.
And the condition you mentioned is strange I haven't experienced anything like this.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

Happened to me once!!! Don't think it's serious... if it happens again, will have to search for an answer...
As for a cooling pad I would recommend Deepcool Multi Core X6 - Deepcool: Flipkart.com

xzibit21

Broken In
Guys i still haven't received a working e-voucher of the diwali offer . The one i received was invalid and i couldn't use it . I've written loads of emails and called the customer care a lot of times but there has been no response yet. None of the mails have been replied to and i always get vague answers on the calls . They take the ticket id of the mails and say that they'll forward it to the concerned dept. but nothing has been done so far. The main Diwali Offer helpline is absolutely useless , they make you wait for at least 10-15 mins and then the line disconnects . Any ideas as to what to do now?

$hadow

Geek in making
Guys i still haven't received a working e-voucher of the diwali offer . The one i received was invalid and i couldn't use it . I've written loads of emails and called the customer care a lot of times but there has been no response yet. None of the mails have been replied to and i always get vague answers on the calls . They take the ticket id of the mails and say that they'll forward it to the concerned dept. but nothing has been done so far. The main Diwali Offer helpline is absolutely useless , they make you wait for at least 10-15 mins and then the line disconnects . Any ideas as to what to do now?

Invalid e vouchers this is bad on the part of Lenovo but how did you came to know that the voucher is invalid? Sometimes the word may also be written incorrectly so have you tried all possible combinations.
or else call this number 022-40174686

anirbanhere

Broken In
Happened to me once!!! Don't think it's serious... if it happens again, will have to search for an answer...
As for a cooling pad I would recommend Deepcool Multi Core X6 - Deepcool: Flipkart.com
I found out about the problem, its pretty weird though. If you change your password to blank (no password) this tends to happen. Fixed this by providing a pass in the admin account.
& thank you and $hadow for the cooler recommendation but the point is that they have to be slim. I have to travel a lot !

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I found out about the problem, its pretty weird though. If you change your password to blank (no password) this tends to happen. Fixed this by providing a pass in the admin account.
& thank you and $hadow for the cooler recommendation but the point is that they have to be slim. I have to travel a lot !

Hmmm, that doesn't seem to be the case for me as I have had a password to my account from the start... Anyway, nothing serious for me as it happened just once and that too a couple of weeks ago... :-D
Anyway, hope you find your cooling pad soon!!! :):):)

$hadow

Geek in making
Well I am using password from the first day and this problem is not yet seen by me. And the cooling pad I mentioned is fit for travelling and do check out the one mentioned by powerhoney

iamzero

Broken In
I am on the same boat for lenovo diwali offer, i did not get my ticket id yet and have mailed and called everywhere, nothing except forwarding your concern.

Hey guys, i have a question on how to set nvidia graphics card on battery as well.. I AM PLAYING NFS RUN AND IT KEEPS ON PLAYING ON INTEL CARD UNTIL I Connect my battery. I have checked and set 3d settigns and physx viewer in nvidia to gt755m but still whenever i play on battery it always uses the intel one. Also set the default as nvidia and power mode to high performance.

sbnaul

Broken In

If u are talking about mytra then dont put the coupon code under gift codes... Instead just buy a few stuffs and after you hit place order, apply coupon would come... Just put it there...

iamzero

Broken In
Few more doubts:

1)My laptop turns itself off when battery remains is 6%, is this happening with you all, how to fix it?
2)I have seen you guys talking about playing games at low, medium or high settings, how do you configure that?
3)How much battery backup you guys get, i get around 2.30hrs only.
4)How to check display type and resolution?
5)Do you guys play games by removing the battery and connecting it to power? Or keep the battery on and plug it in, is it safe to remove battery and play?
6)How to check battery wear level?

The other one is:
Hey guys, i have a question on how to set nvidia graphics card on battery as well.. I AM PLAYING NFS RUN AND IT KEEPS ON PLAYING ON INTEL CARD UNTIL I Connect my battery. I have checked and set 3d settigns and physx viewer in nvidia to gt755m but still whenever i play on battery it always uses the intel one. Also set the default as nvidia and power mode to high performance.

Thanks again, thanks for all the help that you do!

Aerrow

Journeyman
Few more doubts:

1)My laptop turns itself off when battery remains is 6%, is this happening with you all, how to fix it?
2)I have seen you guys talking about playing games at low, medium or high settings, how do you configure that?
5)Do you guys play games by removing the battery and connecting it to power? Or keep the battery on and plug it in, is it safe to remove battery and play?

The other one is:

1)I use a y500 and it turns off somewhere below 10 percent. Could be the same with 510.
2)I guess geforce experience can help with game settings.
3) battery life is pretty much the same for me. I guess that's as far as it goes on a gaming laptop. ;-)
4)you can check resolution under control panel>display.

iamzero

Broken In
can someone answer all of them, i need to find answers really quick!
Few more doubts:

The other one is:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
I just bought the laptop. Can someone tell me how to turn of the backlight? I know it sounds silly but can't find any way to do it. Even google's not helping. There is no option in Windows Mobility Centre.

manukoleth

Right off the assembly line
Few more doubts:

The other one is:

First and foremost let me say that I am no expert and second most of the questions you asked are directly related to software and not hardware.

1) You could make it to as low as 1% (not less) in the Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced power settings>Battery>Critical Battery Level Make the levels to 1 from 6.

2) If I am not wrong the settings are not with the laptop but with the game. You can choose the settings from the game by adjusting various graphics options within the game.

3) What more can you expect from a 6 cell Battery with an Intel 4th gen processor and an Nvidia 750 ( close to 113 Watts). Check for 9 cell and you will get a better backup or switch to power saver mode (not recommended).

4) I didn't get the question. What display type?? Are you saying about screen resolution?? It can be set by right clicking on the desktop.

5) I don't know about others but unless you have a power backup (online may be) system do not and do not take out you batteries. With the kind of read/write happening while playing games with a power outage your hard disk would be going fries. After all what is the point? If it is more battery life you are planning! Not with this laptop at least not at this configuration and gaming.

6) There is a battery checkup software within the laptop. Lenovo power management software which would give an Idea about the health of you battery.

7) This is a problem with Lenovo y510p as it underclocks while on battery and gaming. I don't know whether it switches to integrated graphics! Haven't checked. I think others can answer it better!

zacfx05

Eeeeh What's up. Doc!?
In my opinion the webcam is below standard, produces grainy images and streams very bad quality video.

Thanks mate

Guys how future proof is this, precisely for casual gaming, and occasional video and photo editing will this serve for 2-5 year's.

How much does the laptop and charger together weigh

Last edited:
Top Bottom