The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
so i got my e-coupon from lenovo

and on the downside, just noticed that my battery wear level is down to 9% already in just a month! and i havent even used the battery once baring a battery gauge reset :|

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
so i got my e-coupon from lenovo

and on the downside, just noticed that my battery wear level is down to 9% already in just a month! and i havent even used the battery once baring a battery gauge reset :|
lol that shouldnt happen after 2 months my wear is 3%. btw just use without battery like i do. my laptop is always plugged in so i use without battery. not to mention since its not on battery i can use high performance mode liberally

diya.r

Broken In
So basically most issues on this thread will clear up if Y510 is launched. I think lenevo india probably wants to sell out all tbe currently available units of Y500 before they launch Y510. God knows when that will be. Anybody here gotta clue?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
So basically most issues on this thread will clear up if Y510 is launched. I think lenevo india probably wants to sell out all tbe currently available units of Y500 before they launch Y510. God knows when that will be. Anybody here gotta clue?
the 510p will be launched when it will be launched but you guys should question yourself if you are ready for an investment, because it will be quite more expensive than current models. and the ONLY additional benefit would be an extra 2 hours of quoted battery time which seems highly glorified. Considering the dollar rate and an increase in import duty given the current economic state of the country , this new model whenever it will be released will be much more expensive than the current 500p model. is the extra battery life really worth it?
you guys may end up regretting like the people who didnt get the 650m model with 1080p screen because they were waiting for the 750m model, which turned up to be way more expensive and less feature. for comparison a 1080p screen upgrade normally costs 5-6k on most laptops so factoring in that the 650m model wouldve been worth 58-60k compared to now OR we can say that a 1080p 500p with 750m wouldve cost 75k.
In summation - for people who are waiting for 510p, note that the prices will be highly inflated and the benefits only on battery life, that too a 2 hour increase.

diya.r

Broken In
the 510p will be launched when it will be launched but you guys should question yourself if you are ready for an investment, because it will be quite more expensive than current models. and the ONLY additional benefit would be an extra 2 hours of quoted battery time which seems highly glorified. Considering the dollar rate and an increase in import duty given the current economic state of the country , this new model whenever it will be released will be much more expensive than the current 500p model. is the extra battery life really worth it?
you guys may end up regretting like the people who didnt get the 650m model with 1080p screen because they were waiting for the 750m model, which turned up to be way more expensive and less feature. for comparison a 1080p screen upgrade normally costs 5-6k on most laptops so factoring in that the 650m model wouldve been worth 58-60k compared to now OR we can say that a 1080p 500p with 750m wouldve cost 75k.
In summation - for people who are waiting for 510p, note that the prices will be highly inflated and the benefits only on battery life, that too a 2 hour increase.

So basically wat you r saying is we should be satisfied with the current model of Y500 even if it doesn't have 1080pi. And which store in India would upgrade a laptop screen to FHD for 5k-6k? . Its easy for you to say all this as u have the FHD version of Y500. I'm basically addressing who can't have that model now. And who don't want to compromise on a screen which isn't FHD. most people on this thread address this as a major issue. Since its a continuing consensus , it's obvious they have doubts purchasing the new Y500 model. May be they r fine paying a higher price. Its up to them. I guess they think an extra SLI GPU , a haswell processor and the extended battery life is worth the price hike, unlike the current Y500 which is a step down from its predecessor and definitely didn't justify that much a hike in price

Y510p is good for those who are willing to spend upto 80k but can't import one. Nowadays even if you have 80k, you can't find a performance laptop better than Y500 in India.

bad_till_bones

Ðèåd Måñ Wå£KîÑG
Guys, I am waiting for Y510P. N Anupam knows it! :razz:

But, would give my unbiased comments here. According to some sources (not official though); Y510P would be launched in two variants - i5 & i7. i5 is expected to be around 63k n i7 would be nearing 72k.

Now, about the release date; it's not official yet. Some sources are saying, you may get it in August end. While some are saying it may be released near Diwali.

My only reason for the wait is -

- My current Dell XPS M1530 is working ok as of now!
- Just want to make sure that the i7 version of Y510P is indeed above 70k.
- If the Y510P goes over 75k (above my budget), I will go for Y500. N who knows, the price of Y500 dips after the release of Y510P. :-D

H2O

Journeyman
Those who had the voucher coupons, what did you all buy with it?

These are the three, I'm planning to get:-

Lenovo Wireless Headset W770(B) - Redemption Offer

Do Shield - 2 year ext. warranty - Redemption Offer

Lenovo Gaming Wired Mouse HM6811 (Black) - Redemption Offer

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
So basically wat you r saying is we should be satisfied with the current model of Y500 even if it doesn't have 1080pi. And which store in India would upgrade a laptop screen to FHD for 5k-6k? . Its easy for you to say all this as u have the FHD version of Y500. I'm basically addressing who can't have that model now. And who don't want to compromise on a screen which isn't FHD. most people on this thread address this as a major issue. Since its a continuing consensus , it's obvious they have doubts purchasing the new Y500 model. May be they r fine paying a higher price. Its up to them. I guess they think an extra SLI GPU , a haswell processor and the extended battery life is worth the price hike, unlike the current Y500 which is a step down from its predecessor and definitely didn't justify that much a hike in price
-first of all, the 510p will probably not be included with the extra sli gpu, as from the current trends.
-i am not saying that you should be satisfied, i am just saying to consider the outcome of when the 510p would be actually released. -the 510p isnt a guaranteed 1080p screen as the 768p screen models exist. if you read carefully my point was that the new 510p will be released with the same specs except a haswell processor. no 1080p screen no extra gpu, at a much increased price.
-as for the hd screen thing, dell upgrades its laptops to fhd for an extra 6k on 15r models. not sure f it still does that now but back a few months it used to hence this where the cost was estimated from.
- i am not saying that you shouldnt pay a higher price. i am just saying that people should be cautious for the 510p as the prices will increase and if they are fine with that, then it is their decision.
- the current model's price is perfectly justified as you MUST factor in the depreciating rupee. its not a price hike as the product is imported and subjected to the changing dollar rates.

Y510p is good for those who are willing to spend upto 80k but can't import one. Nowadays even if you have 80k, you can't find a performance laptop better than Y500 in India.
-exactly my point.

Guys, I am waiting for Y510P. N Anupam knows it! :razz:

But, would give my unbiased comments here. According to some sources (not official though); Y510P would be launched in two variants - i5 & i7. i5 is expected to be around 63k n i7 would be nearing 72k.

Now, about the release date; it's not official yet. Some sources are saying, you may get it in August end. While some are saying it may be released near Diwali.

My only reason for the wait is -

- My current Dell XPS M1530 is working ok as of now!
- Just want to make sure that the i7 version of Y510P is indeed above 70k.
- If the Y510P goes over 75k (above my budget), I will go for Y500. N who knows, the price of Y500 dips after the release of Y510P. :-D
- the dip of the y500 prices is highly unlikely as they will probably overprice the y510 for a while to sell out excess stocks of y500. they still have to recover the cost of the laptop. note that the dips in prices occurs after a long time and new models are always priced more.

for the do shield warranty, kindly read the description. " 1 Year onsite to 3 Year CCI (customer carry-in) upgrade" . does it not imply that you will lose onsite warranty however get 3 years carry in warranty for 3 years.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman

U can only redeem 1 item... not all 3.
and secondly.. i would advise u to not take the do shield as it will cancel your ADP warranty.

i think i'll just get the LENOVO BACKPACK 15.6" (YC600-WW). Paisa vasooli! :p
not much of a mouse fanatic anyway!

lol that shouldnt happen after 2 months my wear is 3%. btw just use without battery like i do. my laptop is always plugged in so i use without battery. not to mention since its not on battery i can use high performance mode liberally

cant... i live in manipal (college) and its rainy season here and though power doesn't go off... it may.. :/.. tht might damage laptop ... wont it?

PS : they are replacing my battery... its wear level is still stuck at 9% and its charging waayyyy tooo slowly! 4% in 20 mins! lol!

And to everyone who is interested in the Y510p .... yes ... its a very good model. But, it'll probably cost more too and i doubt if they will give the FHD screen with that. the only added bonus is a haswell processor and optimus which allows battery life to shoot up to 5hrs. and for this, they'll probably charge you 5K extra... If battery life is all you are worried about.... then just buy another battery for 5k and you'll end up with 8hrs battery in total :|

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
cant... i live in manipal (college) and its rainy season here and though power doesn't go off... it may.. :/.. tht might damage laptop ... wont it?

PS : they are replacing my battery... its wear level is still stuck at 9% and its charging waayyyy tooo slowly! 4% in 20 mins! lol!

And to everyone who is interested in the Y510p .... yes ... its a very good model. But, it'll probably cost more too and i doubt if they will give the FHD screen with that. the only added bonus is a haswell processor and optimus which allows battery life to shoot up to 5hrs. and for this, they'll probably charge you 5K extra... If battery life is all you are worried about.... then just buy another battery for 5k and you'll end up with 8hrs battery in total :|
- it wont damage the laptop. at max it can lead you to loss of data while working. they are probably replacing due to slow charging. its a good thing i guess but i would advise you to take care of your battery. dont unnecessarily use it. as for me i am aiming to have it replaced within 1.5 years of purchase or higher so that i would get a new battery at the end of my warranty cycle :D/

diya.r

Broken In
The price of the current Y500 model is not fair after having the 1080pi removed and the new GPU Is very similar to the 650M, exchange rates not withstanding. As u suggest in all probability that the Y510p will be downsized and overpriced, there is equal probability that no changes will happen. Its all perception and guess work at this point. Like u i also will guess , but differently, and I'm going to support the possibility that Y510 will launch with all its perks atleast initially. If any changes r brought forth it wil be later on, like how they did with the Y500. At this juncture nothing much to do but wait.

Last edited:

anaklusmos

Youngling
hey guys I saw this listing of Y500 at Lenovo Y500-59346619- Buy Online @ GreenDust India
Do any of you have any idea about this website?

RON28

Cyborg Agent
hey guys I saw this listing of Y500 at Lenovo Y500-59346619- Buy Online @ GreenDust India
Do any of you have any idea about this website?

Its a refurbished laptop, means the original laptop had some problems and it has been rectified by lenovo ( or than greendust site ) and selling it a cheaper rates, basically there are many people who buy refurbished laptops but we can't say what problem the laptop had earlier. and 49k is not a small amount.

ask them whether the laptop covers original lenovo warranty, if it has then there is at least a peace of mind to invest money.

HeRock

Broken In
Hello, I feel that the Power Cable/Cord (the cable that connects the adapter with the wall socket) that came with my Y500 too small for my needs. Would like a longer replacement (atleast 3m). Any idea where to get one, and the probable pocket pinch?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Hello, I feel that the Power Cable/Cord (the cable that connects the adapter with the wall socket) that came with my Y500 too small for my needs. Would like a longer replacement (atleast 3m). Any idea where to get one, and the probable pocket pinch?
replacement cables are available in many computer shops, or hardware shops although i doubt any one would have a cable as long as 3m. and from my personal experience the ones that they do sell are prone to fire. i once bought 3 and they all melted in a few hours. so a word of caution to buying 3rd party cables and i suggest you find an alternate way to lengthen the cord like those multiplug ones that have a wire length of over 2 meters.

Top Bottom