The iPhone Killer is out now. = HTC TouchFLO

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Was browsing Engadget today, just now & saw this.

HTC has released the HTC Elf PDA with an all new technology call TouchFlo which has a slight retouch help from Microsoft. THe interface makes it damn easy & natural to work on a PDA Phone. No matter what you want to do, due to open 3rd party developer support anyone can use it to do anything on a Windows Mobille 6 device.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/06/htc_touch_front-right-copy-1.jpg

It is not based on multitouch, but why use 3 finger to "finger your phone " when you can finger using 1 finger only :D

Engadget said:
HTC just made their "major" announcement. Are you ready for it... wait... it's the Elf now official with its "Touch" street name. Right, the Windows Mobile device we first saw six months ago and already formally announced by 02 Germany as the Xda nova. HTC's big surprise? Well, the Touch is the first device to feature TouchFLO touchscreen technology "developed by HTC" -- though we think Microsoft had a little something to do with it. It's not multi-touch like the iPhone, but it does offer a "new and unique" way to sweep a finger (or stylus) across the screen to control the 3D interface. To recap, the diminutive 99.9 x 58 x 13.9-mm Touch runs Windows Mobile 6 with TouchFLO UI on a 2.8-inch display and OMAP850 processor while packing tri-band 900/1800/1900 GSM with EDGE, 802.11b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0, 1GB microSD expansion included, and a 2 megapixel cam. Best of all, it's available now in the UK, later this month around Europe and Asia, and then North and Latin America in the 2nd half of the year.
Oh, it is already available in germany as O2 XDA Nova

Official Website

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
That I know, it won't be able to. Cos this is a PDA Smartphone made for bussiness users & those who want plethora of features.

iPhone is a consumar class multimedia phone.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Right now i am using XDA mini S ..made by HTC and am running windows mobile 6.
*www.samstores.com/_images/products/o2-xdamini-s_00.jpg

I think this looks a good upgrade for my present work phone.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ya, but a physical keyboard might be missed. Oh well it supports stylus so start scribling.

hailgautam

Youngling
none can kill iPhone except Apple itself, well going by the trends apple tends to build some cool products. So...I will wait and see.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
iPhone is just having multitouch feature but the music quality is guaranteed best i think.
Does any iPhone killers have this quality?

K

krazyfrog

Some more info here: *www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_with_touchflo_technology-news-274.php

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
blueshift said:
iPhone is just having multitouch feature but the music quality is guaranteed best i think.
Does any iPhone killers have this quality?
Multi touchis good, but just not a good enough USP. Everything multi touch can do can also be done without multi touch in Windows Mobile devices

About Music quality, well...iPhone only plays mp3 & aac, while due to having a Windows Media back end & direct show nature Windows Mobile can play mp3,mp4, wma, e-aac, aac, aac+, rm, amr etc etc etc

Yup, various phones had this capability long before iPhone came into existence.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
oops..i meant iPhone is not just having multitouch feature..

ya thats a plus point..playing multiple format music.aand excellent software support considering its WinMobile device.But there must be 3rd party s/w for iPhone too. or not?

I watched the pics of HTC. The looks are really not appealing.
This really looks like an affordable iPhone killer. hehe

sandeepk

Journeyman
Though it is not as attractive as iPhone but it tries to be its competitor.
But still we may not know which one is more better.
Wait till 29 June is must!!

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
But there must be 3rd party s/w for iPhone too. or not?
Yup, there will be, but none of them will be free I suppose. All application developers must provide there application to Apple for validation which severely slows down the development process. I mean, why is this required when the developer is using Apple provided tools to make application for Apple device. Is the API not good & stable enough that Apple needs to validate the application.

Though it is not as attractive as iPhone but it tries to be its competitor.
But still we may not know which one is more better.
Wait till 29 June is must!!
Looks are always subjective. Yup it is thick compared to iPhone, but provided that iPhone is an iPod first & then a phone, while these phones are Pocket PCs first & then multimedia device, you can get the difference.

Make your purchase decision depending on what you need. Suppose I had unlimited funds, still I wouldn't touch iPhone cos it has no Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger. It even lacks JAVA so that I can install some JAVA based yahoo messenger. I wonder if the browser in iPhone which is supposed to be desktop class supports Flash or not for Yahoo web messenger.

Microsoft needs to switch to Segoe UI in there Windows Mobile OS. This font is made for LCDs after all

apoorav

Broken In
i think htc is quite gud than iphone as we knw that iphone is the best phone bt it lacks basic features,and both the phones has touch flo technology..so i go for htc..

virus_killer

Journeyman
Every phone comes out in the market are called the iPhone killer these days. I have been using WinMo since past few years, now I'm having htc dream. One of my friend has got an iPhone. I still wonder why people compare this kinda phones with an iPhone? iPhone has changed the way we use mobile phone today. You still got to use the stylus if you are considering to buy the WinMob.

I am not ignoring the fact that WinMob has got many third party app support now. however, i personally like the iPhone and my HTC dream. Accessing the Internet on WinMob is just too hard as compare to these two phones. perhaps, one must use the Iphone personally first before calling any phone the iPhone killer.

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I think that we already have an iPhone killer in the form of HTC Touch Diamond.. it is of Rs. 22k in India.. and it is a damn awesome phone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom