The Heartbleed Bug

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
I am surprised that this hasn't been posted here yet.

Heartbleed Bug

Test your server for Heartbleed (CVE-2014-0160)

The Heartbleed Bug is a serious vulnerability in the popular OpenSSL cryptographic software library. This weakness allows stealing the information protected, under normal conditions, by the SSL/TLS encryption used to secure the Internet. SSL/TLS provides communication security and privacy over the Internet for applications such as web, email, instant messaging (IM) and some virtual private networks (VPNs).

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Steam have not issued a fix on it yet. So be careful(better refrain from using) while accessing any steam services, like example which requires you to login through openssl.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Complete list of the sites which were tested against this vulnerability:

*github.com/musalbas/heartbleed-masstest/blob/master/top1000.txt

These sites are vulnerable:

yahoo.com
imgur.com
stackoverflow.com
kickass.to
flickr.com
redtube.com
sogou.com
adf.ly
outbrain.com
archive.org
addthis.com
stackexchange.com
popads.net
avito.ru
kaskus.co.id
web.de
suning.com
zeobit.com
beeg.com
seznam.cz
okcupid.com
pch.com
xda-developers.com
steamcommunity.com
slate.com
scoop.it
hidemyass.com
123rf.com
m-w.com
dreamstime.com
amung.us
leo.org
eventbrite.com
wetransfer.com
sh.st
entrepreneur.com
zoho.com
yts.re
usmagazine.com
fool.com
digitalpoint.com
picmonkey.com
petflow.com
squidoo.com
avazutracking.net
elegantthemes.com
500px.com

Surprised to see following sites still vulnerable!
stackoverflow.com
xda-developers.com
steamcommunity.com

amjath

Human Spambot
Complete list of the sites which were tested against this vulnerability:

*github.com/musalbas/heartbleed-masstest/blob/master/top1000.txt

These sites are vulnerable:

yahoo.com
imgur.com
stackoverflow.com
kickass.to
flickr.com
redtube.com
sogou.com
adf.ly
outbrain.com
archive.org
addthis.com
stackexchange.com
popads.net
avito.ru
kaskus.co.id
web.de
suning.com
zeobit.com
beeg.com
seznam.cz
okcupid.com
pch.com
xda-developers.com
steamcommunity.com
slate.com
scoop.it
hidemyass.com
123rf.com
m-w.com
dreamstime.com
amung.us
leo.org
eventbrite.com
wetransfer.com
sh.st
entrepreneur.com
zoho.com
yts.re
usmagazine.com
fool.com
digitalpoint.com
picmonkey.com
petflow.com
squidoo.com
avazutracking.net
elegantthemes.com
500px.com

Surprised to see following sites still vulnerable!
stackoverflow.com
xda-developers.com
steamcommunity.com

It contains many site which I often use :|

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Is there any misuse identified. I don't care about the passwords, but what I am really worried is Card details.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
When I first read the the title I though it's some serious new threat to human heart...phew...

well, it is, once you think about it..

you see, if a black hat gets your login and transact credentials when you log in to your bank [thankfully there are no bank sites in that list :) ], then he can quite easily get all your money.

then when you get sms'es the transactions, you may get a threat to your heart. :p

just jokin! :D
or am i??

Superayush

Tech lover
well, it is, once you think about it..

you see, if a black hat gets your login and transact credentials when you log in to your bank [thankfully there are no bank sites in that list :) ], then he can quite easily get all your money.

then when you get sms'es the transactions, you may get a threat to your heart. :p

just jokin! :D
or am i??

Hey but for online transaction don't u require a unique pin/OTP so hacker actually cannot really misuse ur stored info

flyingcow

Shibe
is the steampowered.com also affected? or just steamcommunity.com?....also is private info stored on both sites or on stwampowered only?

amjath

Human Spambot
Its getting bigger
'Heartbleed' computer bug threat spreads to firewalls and beyond | Reuters

amjath

Human Spambot
Hey but for online transaction don't u require a unique pin/OTP so hacker actually cannot really misuse ur stored info

Last year I thought something from Amazon UK using my Credit card. My Credit card has password authentication for transaction. But to my surprise transaction is passed without asking password. So its still vunerable

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's because OTP is mandatory only for debit cards in India if selected.credit cards need to work internationally where regulators don't mandate OTP/password not to mention visa/mastercard do not come under RBI's purview unlike indian banks.that is why it is recommended to use virtual CC & not physical CC for online transactions or use a separate physical CC with low limits for international online transactions.frankly speaking people should not use CC physically even within India & use only their debit cards with OTP option selected unless absolutely necessary.most of the CC cloning is done by your local staff at malls/cafes/shops/restaurants etc & requires physical use of CC.within India if CC is used on indian sites like flipkart & something wrong happens(like this bug e.g.) it is much easier to reverse charges compared to stolen CC info from some international site or CC cloning at some foreign location.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
that's because OTP is mandatory only for debit cards in India if selected.credit cards need to work internationally where regulators don't mandate OTP/password not to mention visa/mastercard do not come under RBI's purview unlike indian banks.that is why it is recommended to use virtual CC & not physical CC for online transactions or use a separate physical CC with low limits for international online transactions.frankly speaking people should not use CC physically even within India & use only their debit cards with OTP option selected unless absolutely necessary.most of the CC cloning is done by your local staff at malls/cafes/shops/restaurants etc & requires physical use of CC.within India if CC is used on indian sites like flipkart & something wrong happens(like this bug e.g.) it is much easier to reverse charges compared to stolen CC info from some international site or CC cloning at some foreign location.

precisely. :+1:

i always use debit cards with OTP while online purchases.

snap

Lurker
I don't mean to sound doom-and-gloom but I will be dropping "truth bombs" since some news outlets are unintentionally misinforming. Here's what you need to know about heart bleed:
Game over. We lost.
For nearly 3 years this vulnerability has been in existence. For nearly 3 years anyone could go to any OpenSSL service and dump memory contents without priveliged access OR risk of detection
Literally anything and everything stored into memory is fair game. This includes
Passwords
Authentication cookies
SSNs
Private keys
It took hours for "enthusiasts" to come up with scripts to steal passwords once it was disclosed. The exploit has been in the wild for so long that's it's 100% plausible some entity - be it an individual, hacker group, or even government - has known about the exploit and has been using it for their own benefits. We lost.
What's the best thing you can do? Accept it. Accept that you have been vulnerable and some data you care about could have been easily intercepted by someone.
What actions should you take? I can't emphasize this enough --- WAIT! Servers are still vulnerable. There are bad sysadmins out there who don't patch regularly. Changing your password now will definitely get it owned since we have to worry about script kiddies and scanners. if you don't need to log into a site, DON'T! Give them time to patch AND revoke old certificates. then -- and only then -- change ALL PASSWORDS.
Tl;dr - it's worse than most sites say. avoid sites you don't have to log into. Wait a week or two for a patch. (Contact their technical support to make sure they've revoked old certs). Then make new passwords for everything.

Source:reddit

Top Bottom