the Arch Linux thread

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Been using Arch Linux as my primary OS for close to 3 months now. Always fascinated by its simplicity.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
No, I don't use either of them, I use GNOME. But not the community edition, I used net install and configured my sys with GNOME.

Gnome really isn't what it used to be. IMHO Gnome really went to **** since Gnome 3. I think Cinnamon is a much better alternative right now.

KDE is buggy and XFCE is meeh! :D

What was the last version of KDE that you used? KDE has been more stable since Plasma and even more so since the KDE Neon repository has been established.

XFCE is basically a fork of Gnome 2. It is very light and can also look good with the right themes.

Theodre

In the zone
Gnome really isn't what it used to be. IMHO Gnome really went to **** since Gnome 3. I think Cinnamon is a much better alternative right now.

What was the last version of KDE that you used? KDE has been more stable since Plasma and even more so since the KDE Neon repository has been established.

XFCE is basically a fork of Gnome 2. It is very light and can also look good with the right themes.

Hmmm. Which one is your favourite DE now?

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been using KDE 5 Plasma and i3wm.

I mostly use i3 unless I am feeling lazy, that's when I use KDE.

Theodre

In the zone
I have been using KDE 5 Plasma and i3wm.

I mostly use i3 unless I am feeling lazy, that's when I use KDE.

Really interesting, not criticizing your opinion or saying KDE is bad. KDE is for customising/feature hungry people I think. But every distro specific forum I have been in had always been filled with KDE users having some problem either, it is bug else some other issues. GNOME is really stable in that regard FOR ME and gets out of my way to get my things done. And I have been using it since 3.0 and am pretty happy with it's simplistic approach. I think it depends on how and for what you use it for :)

Have never tried any window managers, I think I should. Which window manager would you recommend for a newbie to WM's?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you want a compositing window manager, OpenBox or FluxBox are good. Both are light and simple.

If you want to try out Wayland then there is Weston. But its more of an experiment than a full fledged WM.

If you are a keyboard warrior then tiling window managers is the way to go. My personal recommendation is i3

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Theodre

In the zone
If you want a compositing window manager, OpenBox or FluxBox are good. Both are light and simple.

If you want to try out Wayland then there is Weston. But its more of an experiment than a full fledged WM.

If you are a keyboard warrior then tiling window managers is the way to go. My personal recommendation is i3

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendations man, I will try to find some time for WM's and maybe tryout i3!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Here is a complete list of window managers supported by Arch: Window manager - ArchWik

There are many to choose from.

I like i3 because of its simplicity and that you can make the most use of your desktop space. You have to memorize some shortcuts though.

A sample screen of i3:

*i.imgur.com/0Yx4xNJ.jpg

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I tried Antergos and Manjaro, but having problem trying to configure bumbulbee on the laptop as it has both .

Have you tried the Archlinux wiki page for Bumblebee?

Bumblebee - ArchWik

The procedure for setting it up should be same for all Arch based distros.

prudhivisekhar

In the zone
Hope you got your issue fixed. I have been using Manjaro for almost three years now and I have never come across any issues.
Let me know if you need any help!
Hi.. The issue still occurs.. using ubuntu now.. Will try to install Manjaro today and let you know if the issue still occurs.

Top Bottom