Telegram - how does it store media?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I read somewhere that in case of Telegram the media is stored in the cloud and available everywhere. Is it in the Telegram servers? How long do they store them? Indefinitely? How many Petabytes will it be?

In contrast to WhatsApp which stores media locally.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure whether they save the actual data in the cloud, but the data is sent to the cloud for the purposes of synching with all devices that have Telegram installed. That way the same media on your phone is also made available on your PC, tab or browser.

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
We can delete the data in our local storage and it will all come back again, I think.
It won't come back and it only stores few gbs of data. After that gb is exhausted it will delete the old data to make space for new data. Limit is quite big for most people so very few people ever reach it.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It won't come back and it only stores few gbs of data. After that gb is exhausted it will delete the old data to make space for new data. Limit is quite big for most people so very few people ever reach it.

Oh. So unlike say WhatsApp, I am bound to lose my older conversations! I would have preferred to have an option of local backup.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Oh. So unlike say WhatsApp, I am bound to lose my older conversations! I would have preferred to have an option of local backup.
This might be wrong. Can you link the source to this?
The only thing I found in their FAQ is this:

Telegram is a cloud-based messenger with seamless sync. As a result, you can access your messages from several devices at once, including tablets and computers, and share an unlimited number of photos, videos and files (doc, zip, mp3, etc.) of up to 1,5 GB each. And if you don't want to store that data on your device, you can always keep it in the cloud.

Seems only size of files is limited & not the duration of storage or total storage.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
This might be wrong. Can you link the source to this?
The only thing I found in their FAQ is this:

Seems only size of files is limited & not the duration of storage or total storage.

I was extrapolating from a post above.

Having infinite storage is not feasible. I routinely cross 1 GB in a week or two with WhatsApp.

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
I read somewhere that in case of Telegram the media is stored in the cloud and available everywhere. Is it in the Telegram servers? How long do they store them? Indefinitely? How many Petabytes will it be?

In contrast to WhatsApp which stores media locally.

you can stores unlimited , but individual file should not cross the 1.5GB

Top Bottom