TCS eligibility for B. Tech 7th sem backlogs

I was going through the TCS Eligibility Criteria for freshers (TCS-Careers).

I have one question in mind.

I am a 4th year student at an engineering college under WBUT. I received my offer letter from TCS about 3 weeks ago.

I am currently taking my 7th semester examinations and they are going pretty bad. If I happen to get a backlog in my 7th sem, does my joining letter get cancelled?

P.S. I assume that I will manage to clear the backlog exams, when I take them a month after the 8th sems are over.

aniket.cain

Padawan
For now, I am sure you are just supposed to accept the 'offer'. The verification of the documents would happen at the time of joining, which would be, more likely than not, a few months later after you are finished with college.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I was going through the TCS Eligibility Criteria for freshers (TCS-Careers).

I have one question in mind.

I am a 4th year student at an engineering college under WBUT. I received my offer letter from TCS about 3 weeks ago.

I am currently taking my 7th semester examinations and they are going pretty bad. If I happen to get a backlog in my 7th sem, does my joining letter get cancelled?

P.S. I assume that I will manage to clear the backlog exams, when I take them a month after the 8th sems are over.

i think if you clear 7th sem later, it may not create a problem. but they will take back the offer letter if you are having any backlog in 8th semester.

OP
gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

AFOL
@Aniket: I have already accepted the offer.
@rijinpk1: Okay. But I have heard that the backlog exams for the last 2 sems are taken at the same time. So why this inconsistency?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
@Aniket: I have already accepted the offer.
@rijinpk1: Okay. But I have heard that the backlog exams for the last 2 sems are taken at the same time. So why this inconsistency?

well,i dont know. currently i am also a 7th semester engineering student :p Exams hasn't started yet.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Minimum aggregate (aggregate of all subjects in all semesters) marks of 60% or above in the first attempt in each of your Class Xth, Class XIIth, Diploma (if applicable), Graduation and Post-Graduation examination

First attempt implies that you should pass the final year/semester examination (Xth, XIIh, Diploma, Graduation and Post-Graduation as applicable) with minimum aggregate (aggregate of all subjects in all semesters) marks of 60% and above within the first attempt itself. For example, if you have secured 58.9 % (aggregate of all subjects) in your Standard XIIth examination and you have taken an improvement exam in the next attempt securing 62 %, you are not eligible as per the TCS Eligibility Criteria, as improvement exam is not considered as first attempt

Just so long as you don't have to write any improvement exams you're good to go :thumbs:
If not, there always other ways to build your resume

Also, do take AMCAT if you can manage your time well. You'll keep getting offers up to 3 years from the date of writing them

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Minimum aggregate (aggregate of all subjects in all semesters) marks of 60% or above in the first attempt in each of your Class Xth, Class XIIth, Diploma (if applicable), Graduation and Post-Graduation examination

First attempt implies that you should pass the final year/semester examination (Xth, XIIh, Diploma, Graduation and Post-Graduation as applicable) with minimum aggregate (aggregate of all subjects in all semesters) marks of 60% and above within the first attempt itself. For example, if you have secured 58.9 % (aggregate of all subjects) in your Standard XIIth examination and you have taken an improvement exam in the next attempt securing 62 %, you are not eligible as per the TCS Eligibility Criteria, as improvement exam is not considered as first attempt

Just so long as you don't have to write any improvement exams you're good to go :thumbs:
If not, there always other ways to build your resume

Also, do take AMCAT if you can manage your time well. You'll keep getting offers up to 3 years from the date of writing them

when they came to our college, they considered improvement marks as well.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
a little offtopic
@op there are other companies in India which hires freshers apart from TCS,Infosys,Accenture,CTS,Wipro and pays higher with good career growth. I don't understand this nature of WBUT students they knows only these companies, never even tries for anything else and never even bother to try. Earlier(prior to 2004) internet penetration was very less only RICH could afford it now every one is accessing facebook from their phone, atleast in engineering colleges.

Mark my words if you become a "mass hire" you will always be part of the "mass" which may earn you a 'sence of job-security' but nothing else. In time you may be able to climb but it will be too little too late.

Get into linkedin, make some contacts, try to do some internships in some product bsed companies & try for a interview there(not have to be the big ones like google,MS) there are plenty of new product companies looking for "fresh talent ". CipherCloud, CGI having fresher requirement at the time of this posting. Try SAP Labs(if you have very good coding experience in any object oriented language).

If you dont like programming that much there's another option get into "analytics". This is the next trend which just started. If you get into analytics pay is really good (avg. 6LPA starting @ Bangalore). uSigma and Fidelity Investment are two of these analytics companies having fresher vacancy as of posting.

Why am I telling about get into these product companies cause, even if you get an internship for 6months the amount you will learn will get you into a place(in terms of technical expertize) where you need 5+ years in those mass hire companies to reach.

These companies does not care if you have 50% score, they even dont even bother if you have no formal education at all. Only thing they care about is you mathematical skills(for formulating algo) & coding skills.

another thing if TCS does not give joining after your course completion try other companies, I know a few from 2010 pass out batch they got their joning after 11 months after pass out. So you see you may be loosing some months.

sksundram

In the zone
a little offtopic
@op there are other companies in India which hires freshers apart from TCS,Infosys,Accenture,CTS,Wipro and pays higher with good career growth. I don't understand this nature of WBUT students they knows only these companies, never even tries for anything else and never even bother to try. Earlier(prior to 2004) internet penetration was very less only RICH could afford it now every one is accessing facebook from their phone, atleast in engineering colleges.

Mark my words if you become a "mass hire" you will always be part of the "mass" which may earn you a 'sence of job-security' but nothing else. In time you may be able to climb but it will be too little too late.

Get into linkedin, make some contacts, try to do some internships in some product bsed companies & try for a interview there(not have to be the big ones like google,MS) there are plenty of new product companies looking for "fresh talent ". CipherCloud, CGI having fresher requirement at the time of this posting. Try SAP Labs(if you have very good coding experience in any object oriented language).

If you dont like programming that much there's another option get into "analytics". This is the next trend which just started. If you get into analytics pay is really good (avg. 6LPA starting @ Bangalore). uSigma and Fidelity Investment are two of these analytics companies having fresher vacancy as of posting.

Why am I telling about get into these product companies cause, even if you get an internship for 6months the amount you will learn will get you into a place(in terms of technical expertize) where you need 5+ years in those mass hire companies to reach.

These companies does not care if you have 50% score, they even dont even bother if you have no formal education at all. Only thing they care about is you mathematical skills(for formulating algo) & coding skills.

another thing if TCS does not give joining after your course completion try other companies, I know a few from 2010 pass out batch they got their joning after 11 months after pass out. So you see you may be loosing some months.

Totally agree with you. Also if i am not wrong then most of the top recruiters are recruiting through eLitmus even mu sigma also. Students have to look beyond these mass hiring companies like tcs, wipro, accenture, et al. Small companies like prime focus or mu sigma have better packages and the most important thing is that you get to learn so much. So much Actual stuff in core field that you have a narrow chance at big companies (this happens only when you score higher than fellows in the After - training exam and so you get better packages and profile). As a fresher, mind you that profile matters the most. Just my two cents.

keval shah

New to this forum
hi i m BE E&C student i hv 6 sem 1 nd 7th sem 3 nd 8th sem 1 becklog i tried to complet it but i needed some experience of job nd needede some activities i want job immediately please tell me somthing

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
hi i m BE E&C student i hv 6 sem 1 nd 7th sem 3 nd 8th sem 1 becklog i tried to complet it but i needed some experience of job nd needede some activities i want job immediately please tell me somthing
Year of passing?
So are you saying you have already pass out without clearing those backlogs ? If yes then it will be very difficult to get even interview calls from most popular companies. They expect at least 60%-70% with no more than 1 year break(education gap).

Top Bottom