Tablet Battery Guide: In a bit detail

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
There are lots of tablets in these days to so many users and all contain a common part, The Battery. I found some good information while searching on the net and after so many comparisons I decided to bullet some points on ‘How to make your tablet battery running longer while giving a good backup time’. I have tried to add the common usages guide also which will be helpful to everyday users.

So here they comes

Firstly, Tablet/laptop/Mobile batteries are mainly THREE kinds

Lead acid – Not used in tablets, they will come in micro-hybrid devices, but so far not on any tablet in India.

Nickel-baseMainly known as Nickel-Cadmium(NiCD) batteries and a variant Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH). This type of battery was used previously in bulk manner in laptop, mobiles and tablets but the main problem with it is ‘Memory Effect’. [Memory effect, also known as battery effect, lazy battery effect or battery memory, is an effect observed in Ni base rechargeable batteries that causes them to hold less charge. It describes one very specific situation in which certain Ni base batteries gradually lose their maximum energy capacity if they are repeatedly recharged after being only partially discharged. The battery appears to "remember" the smaller capacity.
(Some of us may have experience this in old age mobile phones)

Lithium Ion (Lithium-polymer Battery) – This type of batteries has become the most popular for all mobile platform since the "memory effect" has been eliminated, and much lighter than the other two in weight. However, the market price is also the highest.
Almost all the tablets are now having this batteries including MM funbook.
All modern devices have Lithium ion batteries... No one uses Lead acetate or Nickel-Cadmium batteries in portable electronics in this day and age...

Here are three main tips that should easily apply to all batteries in mobile platform:

Temperature: Do not expose your device to extreme temperatures. Cooler temperatures prevent battery corrosion, so it’s always best to keep your device from overheating.

Discharge: It’s a myth that modern batteries need a full discharge to retain “memory” (this only applies to a nickel-based battery pack). Every full cycle wears the battery down by a small amount. So, smaller discharges are better. Try not to let your battery go beyond the half-way point before applying a charge.

Abuse: This is a no-brainer, but people do get careless, and every drop of that tablet runs the risk of damaging the battery within. This also applies to improper discharges. These types of discharges can happen when a process gets out of control and is allowed to continue on, which quickly runs down the battery. If you see this happening (if the tablet starts responding slowly), find the rogue process and kill it or restart the tablet.

Let’s look at some more tips on how and when to charge your tablet battery.

First charge: When you first unbox your tablet, you should approach the first charge differently, depending upon the type of battery the tablet has:
• Lead acid: The battery should be fully charge. Apply a top-off charge before using.
• Nickel-based: Charge the battery 14-16 hours before the first use.
• Lithium Ion: Apply a top-off charge before the first use.
Note: Top-off charge means giving charge at any time and by any amount (generally overdose). Most of us do this on new Li-ion batteries to put up a charge for 6~10 hours BEFORE first use.

Full vs. partial charge: Some batteries actually do poorly if you only give it a partial charge.
• Lead acid: You must always give this battery a full charge, as a partial charge can create sulfation.
• Nickel-base: A partial charge is good.
• Lithium Ion: A partial charge is actually better than full charge.

Full discharge: There are types of batteries that actually prefer a complete discharge now and then.
• Lead acid: A deep discharge can damage the battery.
• Nickel-base: Apply scheduled discharges only to prevent the battery from retaining memory.
• Lithium Ion: A deep discharge can damage the battery.

Battery calibration: Some batteries do not need calibration. Here are the details:
• Lead acid: Not applicable.
• Nickel-base: Apply a discharge/charge. Repeat every 1-3 months.
• Lithium Ion: Apply a discharge/charge when feels wrong indignation. Repeat every 1-3 months.

Use while charging: Is it okay to have your device on while charging it?
• Lead acid: It’s okay to have device on when charging.
• Nickel-base: It’s always best to turn the device off during a charge, since a parasitic load can alter full-charge detection, overcharge the battery, and/or cause mini-cycles.
• Lithium Ion: It’s always best to turn the device off during a charge, since a parasitic load can alter full-charge detection, overcharge the battery, and/or cause mini-cycles.

Unplugging when charged: Is it necessary to unplug your device once the charge is complete?
• Lead acid: This depends on the charger. If the charger has correct float voltage, then it’s fine.
• Nickel-base: Always remove your device after a few extra hours in the charger.
• Lithium Ion: This is unnecessary, because the charger turns off.

Temperature: How does temperature effect charging?
• Lead acid and Nickel base: Slow charge from 0~5 deg cel / fast charge 6-50 deg cel / the best charge at 25 deg cel. NI base do not charged fully over 50 deg cel.
• Lithium Ion: Do not charge below freezing. Do not charge when above 50 deg cel.

Ultimately, if you use your battery with intelligence, it will reward you with a long life.

Disclaimer: I have composed the article by RnD on the topic on various internet results (various sources) according to my best believe and understanding. If you found any disagreement, kindly let me know and I will gladly correct that with the user name mentioned; the ultimate goal is to giving all the forum users a good basic idea.

P.S. I apologize for the vast length but in my opinion, it is the minimal by what a user can get a good idea on the topic.
Source: *www.techrepublic.com/blog/tablets/how-and-when-to-charge-your-tablet-battery/814 and many more...

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
All modern devices have Lithium ion batteries... No one uses Lead acetate or Nickel-Cadmium batteries in portable electronics in this day and age...

OP
S

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
Well compiled..will help many out there.. Good Work @sanjoy.bose

Thnx

Good job sanjay! :goodjob:

Edit : @Mods : I guess this should be stickied :)

Thnx. let's see what mods are saying

Yep almost every mobile platform device, I also mentioned that... I will add this in note too by your name. Thnx.

OP
S

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
there is no lead acetate battery afaik..its lead acid (lead electrodes + conc. sulphuric acid)

It's a common name by gener in my opinion.

Lead-acetate batteries are more commonly known as lead-acid batteries; they are the type of battery you use in your vehicle to start the engine. The batteries contain individual wet cells, usually six, and each cell produces 2 volts. Inside the cells are two lead plates which are completely covered in an acid solution; the solid lead plates and the acid solution effectively give the battery the name lead-acetate or lead-acid.

How to Charge Lead Acetate Batteries | eHow.com

Often called by both of the terms, they are same basically.

Top Bottom