System not booting

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys,

I am facing a new problem today.

On booting the PC, the display is not available. and all system fans are working.
The CPU fan is making huge noise, and I believe its a CPU issue.

AMD FX6300, Corsair 8GB DDR3, Gigabyte 78LMTUSB3

I know why this problem occurred, as the system was working perfectly.
when I was in office, my cousin used my system and he (stupidly) forgot to remove the Cabinet cover (cloth) and used it as it is. and now the system is not booting :( with CPU fan making huge noise.

what is the remedy ?

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
try resetting your bios settings by using the cmos jumper(refer to your motherboard's instruction manual for details)and check if the problem persists.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It can be CPU issue however sometimes poorly seated RAM results in system behaving as if CPU is not present with similar outcome.
Assuming you have a cabinet speaker installed and plugged in to mobo front panel header, remove all RAMs, disconnect HDD and boot the PC. You should ideally hear some beeps indicating RAM is not present. If this is true you have a working CPU & Working BIOS.
Try reattaching RAM one by one and check if the system revives.

Run your system with bare minimum. Just a single RAM (initially none rather) SMPS and keyboard and display and troubleshoot from hereon.

Try reconnecting all cables and ensure they are firm including SATA cables, monitor cable etc

Re-seating the CPU & heat sink might be subsequent line of troubleshooting if resetting CMOS, RAM etc don't work. Leave that as a last option though. You should apply a fresh layer of thermal paste after CPU & heatsink is removed and replaced again on to the cpu socket.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
FAN noise can be due to multiple reasons. Fan is set to auto mode resulting in higher RPM due to high CPU temperature.
There's a lot of dust accumulated on the fan blades causing it to make noise.
The locks / screws holding the fan on to the heat sink are loose somewhere

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible that the CPU thermal paste has dried up ? which is causing its FAN to make to noise

Try what others have suggested but either it's the gpu or the motherboard itself acting up.

BTW, I did not catch what PSU you are using ? So please let us know about it.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Corsair RM450 and my GPU is already gone kaput.
Running on IGP.
I suspect some issue with CPU now.
Initially the system booted fine but with high CPU fan noise and now system is not booting but noise is still there

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair RM450 and my GPU is already gone kaput.
Running on IGP.
I suspect some issue with CPU now.
Initially the system booted fine but with high CPU fan noise and now system is not booting but noise is still there

faced same thing with one of Asus motherboard + AMD cpu - had to replace the motherboard.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK.

Is it advisable to dry the desktop in Sunlight ? to remove moisture

sunlight should not do any harm but still it could be damaged more by creatures or insects. So better would be to get put the motherboard inside of a box of silica gel packs but still I don't think humidity is the culprit behind the issue you're facing .. the motherboard is acting up and it's a sure sign it is going non functional.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
MOBO and Procy are very hard to defect at this early.

First clean the PC properly (Use a blower, soft brush and lint free clothes)
Detach all cables (power+data) and reattach.
Check only display to make sure no issue with Display
Reattach and power on the system.

This would give you a fair idea where do you stand now.
Test your equipment in this order in case system still fails to boot.

CMOS battery
RAM
PSU
MOBO
PROCESSOR

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Don't detach CPU yet. Keep it for the last stage.

Remove all else. You may face trouble detaching the FAN over CPU too. So, be careful.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I have uploaded the CPU pic and I think the thermal paste has dried.
Can u pls check?
The system was used for 3 hrs with cabinet cover on it. And I think the exhaust air kept inside dried up the thermal paste

Attachments

• IMG_20170909_120648.jpg
    IMG_20170909_120648.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 94
OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am going to call a technician if nothing works the mobo and CPU has 3yrs warranty. So I think I can RMA it. but I want to find the faulty piece

chiragjain22

Broken In
THR might be issue with boatloader partition of HDD. Can you try putting windows bootable and see if it boots up with OS cd ?

Top Bottom