system hangs frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi,

i hav P4 865 itnel original, 512 MB RAM and 2.4 GHz. i had no problems 2 days back, when i posted abt disabling of certain serivces that r used only on network computers... and so i did disbale them and after that i installed sisoft sandra software and netscape and powerdvd. i found that when i play movies, the system got hanged, that too coincidently with powerdvd and so i uninstalled powerDVD, but then even when i am not watching movies, suddenly it gets hanged for no reeason... it wud be working fine until... and also, i uninstalled sisoft and netscape too. what cud be the problem? i dont hav antivirus installed and hav only windows firewall.. but i check for viruses online once in a week or month and i checked only recently and also i hav checked for spywares with spybot and mucrosoft antispyware. antivirus check i did with bitdefender and pccillin online.. help me resolve this problem...

and also, i installed beta version of opera 9, the one i am typing in.... wheni close opera, it wudnt stop in the process list(task manager)... i hav to stop it by clicking it there.. may be this cud help some of u solving my problem.. thk u.

/legolas

parthbarot

In the zone
it may be problem of ram...i had same thing

ur RAM chip just move slite from slot or like that so system hanged..
then i shot it down...open my CPU..and give 2 3 jerks to RAM slot..chips..fits it properly in....and just give it some jerks...

then restarts...thn its ok...

its for 1 month lik so

now it is not happening..

so try it to jerks ur RAM slot chips..

regards,

anandk

Distinguished Member
first i suggest u uninstall (for the moment) the few applications, whose installation u have mentioned, u think may have caused problems.

u may have closed the wrong services. check here :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21415&highlight=services

also i suggest you download tune-up utilities from
*www.soft32.com/download_6193.html
install it and use the tune-up system optimizer. it will correct ur problems.

download and use always freeware antivirus avast and microsoft antisoyware. get them from www.download.com. keep them on ur pc. why go for online scans ? u can also download from this site, 'ccleaner', another good freeware and use it weekly.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
parthbarot, seems i hav the same problem too.. coz 2 days back, i cahnged my DATA CABLE!

anandk, i hav cccleaner, antispyware.. and reason i get no antivirus is i go only 2 trusted sites and update my xp ASAP and i dont want my system to use those processes all the time.. i feel it unnecessarily... i do accept at times i hav to face certain disasters! :) nyways.. thks for ur suggestions let me try on it and reply back.

/legolas

geekysage

Journeyman
how about the PSU guys? maybe the SMPS doesn't have enough juice. people don't realize when they buy the Rs.1-1.5K dibba that today's power hungry CPUs need more than that. Try borrowing a better SMPS from a friend and see if it corrects the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

PS: Geez, this is my 3rd post in just 2 days emphasizing the importance of a good power supply. Hope people are listening.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
do these basic steps ,

:arrow: check ur ram for errors by using a free utility such as memtest86 .. let it run for 3 hours atleast.

:arrow: if ur ram is free from errors do a clean install of your OS with all the latest updates n drivers n flash ur bios to the latest.

:arrow: If the problem persists still then try changing the SMPS and then the RAM.

:arrow: If it still persists then try removing any onboard devices such as modems n pci cards and use the pc. remove each device and check if the pc is stable or not.

I think the above steps will surely help u out .. good luk.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
geekysage, i hav got my SATA hardisk burnt already which i believed to hav gone from bad power supply, i wudnt do the same mistake twice.. u can count on me.. hehe :)

knightrider, :-o reinstalling windows? this is something i am doing very often! :) i wud hav it as the last option

and... as i told, i jus removed my RAM and slotted it again, its workin fine from then on.. thks guys! :)

/legolas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom