System Automatically Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
The last time I had this problem I had to change my hard disk. These sudden reboots could be caused by just about anything.

Is S.M.A.R.T. enabled in your bios?

And if I may suggest, please check your hard disk with these tools
*www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Last edited:
OP
raptorz

raptorz

Smitten by Computers..
@infra_red_dude, @NucleusKore
I have got two hard disks. One having xp and other having vista. I got reboots with both. I have set optimal defaults in bios. I dont think the hard disk is the cause.

@sakumar79
Oh.. I didnt know that.. Let me try.

Regarding smps, i disconnected all power connectors except the hard disk and mobo. I got 6 reboots in the last hour.

imgame2

Padawan
if all the things suggested by forum member fails ..i think its ..the problem with ur PSU ...try changing ur PSU and see what happens ...

iinfi

mekalodu
i m not a h/w freak but still there are 3 things which i feel r possible.

1) i highly suspect ur smps is faulty which mite b giv voltage fluctuations.

2) outdated/corrupt display drivers. (i v faced this problem on my PC b4) use linux and boot to the command prompt n chk.
i suspect this even if you say u v tried with both xp n vista

3) have ur motherboard checked with your vendor (not jus RAM slots).

OP
raptorz

raptorz

Smitten by Computers..
I found this interesting article on wikipedia today:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

As the capacitor ages, its capacitance decreases while its equivalent series resistance (ESR) increases. When this happens, the capacitors no longer adequately serve their purpose of filtering the direct current voltages on the motherboard, and system instability results. Some common symptoms are:

• Not turning on all the time; having to hit reset or try turning the computer on again
  • Instabilities (hangs, BSODs, kernel panics, etc.), especially when symptoms get progressively more frequent over time
  • CPU core voltage or other system voltages fluctuating or going out of range, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises
  • Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
  • Spontaneous reboots
  • In case of on-board video cards, unstable image in some video modes
  • Failing to complete the POST, or rebooting before it is completed
  • Never starting the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead
Unlike the physical signs which are conclusive evidence the capacitors are failing, many of the operational signs may be caused by other factors, such as a failing power supply, dust clogging a fan, bad RAM, or other hardware problems. Instability, once the operating system has loaded, may indicate a software problem (such as some types of malware, poorly-written device drivers or software), and not a hardware problem at all. If any of these symptoms are experienced, removing the system's case and inspecting the capacitors, especially those around the CPU, may immediately identify capacitors as the cause. If there are no physical signs, an oscilloscope may be used to examine the voltage on the capacitors, with excessive ripple voltage being a sign the capacitors are not doing their job.
The capacitors in my powersafe smps almost look similar to the ones in the picture. Two capacitors have got a bulge at the top.

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Buldging_tayeh_caps_2.jpg

I will try with a different smps. Hope it will solve this problem.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Bulge.. Hmm.. looks like a cap. leak or a cap. about to leak. They can be replaced and set right. Take it to the local electronics guy. He'll fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom