Survey: Vista Used Less than 1 percent of PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

israramrelia

Broken In
SOURCE : *www.google.co.in/search?q=Survey:+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Windows Vista may yet prove to be an unstoppable juggernaut, but statistics released Thursday by a market research firm show that the new operating system hasn't even licked its nine-year old ancestor.

-------------------------------------------------------

Windows Vista may yet prove to be an unstoppable juggernaut, but statistics released Thursday by a market research firm show that the new operating system hasn't even licked its nine-year old ancestor.

Vista was being used on less than 1 percent of PCs tracked in February by Aliso Viejo-based Net Applications Inc., making it the sixth most-popular operating system. That puts it behind Windows 98, which is still used on 1.5 percent of computers.

Vista's exact share was 0.93 percent. Windows XP continued to lead, with 84.3 percent, followed by Windows 2000, with 4.8 percent. Mac OS X on PowerPC machines had 4.3 percent, while newer Intel-based PCs running OS X had 2.1 percent.

Net Applications collects its data from the browsers of visitors to its network of more than 40,000 Web sites.

Vista's February share of PCs connected to the Internet -- a month after its consumer release and three months after its release to businesses -- represents a big leap over January, when it was used by just 0.2 percent of PCs. At the time, it lagged behind Windows ME, the 13-year-old Windows NT and various flavors of Linux.

"The big question is if and when are the masses going to switch?" Net Applications analyst Vince Vizzacarro said in a newsletter accompanying the statistics. "While Microsoft was late to market with Vista, Apple's taken advantage and is now up to a combined 6.38 percent market share. It looks like the market is buying Vista on new PC purchases, but there isn't a significant percentage of people upgrading existing PCs. I expect this trend to continue through the rest of 2007."

Some analysts have predicted that despite Microsoft's intention to spend half a billion dollars marketing Vista, conversions from XP won't be the norm until 2009.

Statistics for the first week of February -- Vista officially launched Jan. 30 -- were mixed. Current Analysis found sales of PCs -- with Vista preinstalled -- were up 173 percent from the week before. PC sales were also up 67 percent from the same time frame in 2006. But Current Analysis itself pointed out that the sales leaps were exaggerated partly by slowing sales as retailers and OEMs wound down their XP-based inventory.

By comparison, NPD Group Inc. found that first-week sales of boxed copies of Vista were down 60 percent compared with first-week boxed copies of Windows XP five years earlier.

Neither group has released statistics of Vista sales in subsequent weeks, though NPD analyst Chris Swenson is expected to release first-month retail sales of the new OS soon.

cooldip10

In the zone
Hey Man this should not be a suprise to all :lol: :)

The main draw back of Microsoft is the high price and not sharable(which is there in Linux): SO if prices come down to as low as 10K then only there may be increase...

kirtan

Journeyman
Well Vista is going to see much more togher times than this.Apart from all those price issues the reliabilty of Vista is also being Questioned.I don't think it will make up to be a stable OS until MS releases a service pack wit the fixes for the bugs.

Vista is new and costly too.It has been 7 years since XP was released...How can u expect Vista to suddenly take the lead and beat XP..first of all most of the hardware that is being used over world is nt good enough for Vista..It'll take time for Vista to become a leader and beat XP..

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
This is normal , Vista will be the place where xp is after some years. No surprises.

shantanu

Technomancer
Now also 1% of the world in Using vista, 4.23 Mac, and 6 % OSS, and about 82.3 % Widows Xp... i read this somewhere, but as Tarey_g said in coming years Vista will take the position Of XP...

Pathik

Google Bot
in india the wide spread usage of vista ll start only after its properly pirated... and major app support is provided...

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
well...xp can be replaced only if everyhting gone cheaper....for vista hardware's required are too costly...and then vista is also costly...and at this time vista cant lead in coming 2-3 years....i guess..

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
pathiks said:
in india the wide spread usage of vista ll start only after its properly pirated... and major app support is provided...

I dont think pirated copies are considered when market share is calculated. Its based on the sales figures.

runeet

Broken In
Vista has very high system requirements, even normal applications working on xp, worp faster than on vista, also its atrociously pirced, truthfuly only a rich spoiled moron would buy the licencd ultimate edition.

shantanu

Technomancer
@runeet , this is no reason to hate vista... and what you mean by RICH spoiled moron

i think you are quoting thousands of people who bought vista... better think on this

freebird

Debian Rocks!
thankfully,states like kerela and some other southern states moving to Free Software and GNU/Linux.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
freebird said:
thankfully,states like kerela and some other southern states moving to Free Software and GNU/Linux.

Thats simply cos Goverment saves a lot of money by going for freely distrubutable OS. But do not forget the cost due to training etc for linux

hailgautam

Youngling
gx_saurav said:
Thats simply cos Goverment saves a lot of money by going for freely distrubutable OS. But do not forget the cost due to training etc for linux

Not at all.....

Should the users are new to computers there would be training cost even for Windows. But for someone who as seen a computer he/she will be not be totally out of place using Linux. There are only minor differences in the interface between Linux and Windows. Again it is Linux interface is not alien beyond the realms of comprehension of mortal souls.

We have to understand what the end user want to do with a computer in a govt dept. Some very basic spreadsheets, some text editing for letters and correspondence or may be at best some specific software like a database for land records etc. What special training you want to give those people in all these very basic thing - given they know how to use the same applications in Windows now use it in Linux.

I hope you are not asking them to learn to configure network or tweak their systems or anything like that, coz they will not do any way. They will have tech support to do that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
hailgautam said:
We have to understand what the end user want to do with a computer in a govt dept. Some very basic spreadsheets, some text editing for letters and correspondence or may be at best some specific software like a database for land records etc. What special training you want to give those people in all these very basic thing - given they know how to use the same applications in Windows now use it in Linux.

this is the only reason I myself prefer to recomend Linux in SMB. This is something even MS should understand. Make Windows modular, why does the user has to pay for the whole OS when he is gonna use only a few things

By the way, for SMB, Windows XP \Vista starter edition is also not bad, mostly they will be running 1 or 2 apps at one time anyway. & Windows support is always better then Linux support in real life. Thats what i have seen

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
hailgautam said:

^^ Exactly my thoughts . Linux should be used in govt offices because its not similar to using it at homes.
Home user can make his own choice

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Sometimes I wonder what the politicians do with the money they save by using Linux/FOSS?

I hope they do not pocket it. Its worse than govt having to pay for Windows and other commercial software:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom