Surface Book vs MacBook Pro | Which one to choose ?

dharmil007

Journeyman
Hi,

As the title suggests it. its a tough decision between Macbook Pro and Surface Book.
Please suggest which one to go for.
I will be purchasing it in January.

According to me, advantages of both over each other
Surface Book over Mac :

• Portability (can be used as a tablet also)
    Latest Intel Processors (not a big deal though ;))
    Touch and Pen Input.

Mac over Surface Book :

• Its a MAC. Name is enuf.

1) What is your budget?
Around 1500$

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Portable

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Surfing Net, watching Movies, Coding, College Projects, some higher end softwares.

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Surface Book or Mac Book Pro
or any other in same lines

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nothing that sort of

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Will be purchasing this from USA.

Surface Book is overhyped. If you really want performance and you are making a purchase from US, buy Dell XPS 15 with infinity display. It's thin, good batter life, light(think >2KGs or >MacBook Pro) and looks good. And for approx $1600, you are getting a QHD display with 100% adobe RGB coverage, a Quad Core processor(albeit with Hyper Threading disabled) and entry level gaming grade GPU (GTX 960M). Not to mention that it also includes a Thunderbolt 3 port(good for future proofing), a glaring omission from Surface Book.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Surface Book is overhyped. If you really want performance and you are making a purchase from US, buy Dell XPS 15 with infinity display. It's thin, good batter life, light(think >2KGs or >MacBook Pro) and looks good. And for approx $1600, you are getting a QHD display with 100% adobe RGB coverage, a Quad Core processor(albeit with Hyper Threading disabled) and entry level gaming grade GPU (GTX 960M). Not to mention that it also includes a Thunderbolt 3 port(good for future proofing), a glaring omission from Surface Book.

Didn't knew that Dell started giving quad core proccy's now. :thumbs:

Even if OP opts for a non touch FHD display, that shouldn't be a problem for 1400$.

Didn't knew that Dell started giving quad core proccy's now. :thumbs:

Even if OP opts for a non touch FHD display, that shouldn't be a problem for 1400$.

I don't know how they pulled this one off. XPS 15 is now, by far the most VFM laptop from any "conventional" brand in terms of absolute performance and, well looks.
Dell was always offering Quad Core for XPS 15 line, but sadly they never offered it in India (the new ones).
Notebook review has a nice thread about Precision 5510, essentially renamed XPS 15.
Dell Precision 5510 Owner's Review | NotebookReview

OP
dharmil007

dharmil007

Journeyman
Buy a surface book. MacBook Pro isn't worth the price IMO.

Or why not a Thinkpad X1 Carbon if you want more space?

Space is not an Issue, I need fast devices and thin and Portable.
Even if I get 128GB SSD (which is faster then conventional HDD), I can buy a 2TB hdD for say 100-120$
Also, Thinkpad X1 has 4th Gen CPUs.

Dell XPS 15 is a very good laptop.
But its very costly. touch laptop with 4K display goes to 1700$.

Moreover I liked surface due to its portability. AS in 2in1 laptop+tablet feature and a stylus.

Or else I could go for Macbook.

I found these 2 configs better in MacBook :

$1250 --> 8GB with 128GB with i7 2.2GHz MacBook Air
$1500 --> 8GB with 128GB with i5 2.7GhZ MacBook Pro

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Space is not an Issue, I need fast devices and thin and Portable.
Even if I get 128GB SSD (which is faster then conventional HDD), I can buy a 2TB hdD for say 100-120$
Also, Thinkpad X1 has 4th Gen CPUs.

Dell XPS 15 is a very good laptop.
But its very costly. touch laptop with 4K display goes to 1700$.

Moreover I liked surface due to its portability. AS in 2in1 laptop+tablet feature and a stylus.

Or else I could go for Macbook.

I found these 2 configs better in MacBook :

$1250 --> 8GB with 128GB with i7 2.2GHz MacBook Air
$1500 --> 8GB with 128GB with i5 2.7GhZ MacBook Pro
If you are not into DELL and portability + sleekness is your main criterion,I think you may go for Microsoft Surface Book(2-in-1 and 13" screen size) or you may also try for the MS Surface Pro 4 Tablet(with keyboard bundle of course).
MS has really made outstanding devices recently as per reviews.

I am not undermining Macbook either,because Apple is a class in itself which deserves no mention of comparibilty either,but choose it according to your high-end flexible budget and if you feel too comfortable with the iOS ecosystem than Windows.

But as pointed out by [MENTION=284377]Siddhartht[/MENTION],the DELL XPS 15 with infinity display is a phenomenal beast in itself ,though in Notebook/Laptop category as also that by LENOVO Thinkpad X1 Carbon suggested by brother [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION],another beast.

My personal choice is MS Surface Book if you have the budget to spend.

Purely your own choice + decision + wish + budget.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
The only time Macbook would be worth it for a traditionally windows user is I think if the person is going to dabble in Mac/IOS Development - I am recently just taking baby steps in IOS Dev using xcode - I need a mac - I just placed an order for macbook pro MF840HN/A model ( 256 GB SSD, i5, 8 GB , Retina , 13" ) version . If you are not going to do ios dev/mac dev then stick to windows :) Surface book Keynote video was amazing. Got me drooling.

Top Bottom