[SUPER URGENT]Gaming laptop 60-65 k

flyingcow

Shibe
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Netbook; 11" - 10” screen or less
Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
15-16inch

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Games like csgo, dota 2, gta v, witcher 3, newly realeased games etc, modded skyrim
Auto cad, java, cpp, android stuff etc

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Y50-70 and gl552jx

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:asus lenovo hp
b. Dislike:acer, toshiba, dell

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) )
Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) )
Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) )

1080 p screen. 720p not preferred
Would be good to have additional slot for ssd
Warranty preferred but not a must,
Cant import from abroad

Hello sir,
I had decided to go with the asus gl 552jx on ebay from garg enterprises but the listing has sadly ended, theres one more listing on paytm which im skeptic about. The second one i have in mind is lenovo y5070 w/ 4720 and 960 2 gig ddr5.. Only problem being tn display and 5400 rpm hdd which is available for 59k on ebay, again garg enterprises...
Could you guys please tell me about warranty and info about y5070 model?
Also it has small thai letters on keyboard on bottom right side, which i dont have any problem with
This will be my first purchase from ebay, bit worried, would there be any problems? Advices? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bump, please help guys, gotta order it before it goes out of stock

Edit: forgot to post linkhttps://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=231799060568

Last edited:
GL552JX from Paytm just because currently in ebay it is listed as having seller warranty

In Paytm, the laptop costs 75k but you will get 10k cashback in paytm wallet (which you can transfer to your bank account from its app if you wish). You will get 1 year Asus India warranty, also pre installed Win10 & 8GB RAM

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
What about y5070? Ive seen y50 display panel irl and i dont think its as bad as people claim,, and its 59k with manufacturer warranty, and has 960 m dddr5, wpuldnt this be suitable as my primary task is gaming?
Also im leaning towards lenovo because of its form factpr, its very thinner compared to asus(college student here). Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

GL552JX from Paytm just because currently in ebay it is listed as having seller warranty

In Paytm, the laptop costs 75k but you will get 10k cashback in paytm wallet (which you can transfer to your bank account from its app if you wish). You will get 1 year Asus India warranty, also pre installed Win10 & 8GB RAM
Will cashback work on COD too?
Also the price has changed to 79 k, after cashback 69.x k
So is 10k more than y50 worth? Going with 950m ddr3 ?

*m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=231799060568

Lenovo has great specs for gaming but after 2 years, Lenovo laptops starts to give problems.
I personally own Lenovo Y500 which is 3 years old. There are many problems in it, for resolving them I have to change motherboard, which costs 20k. A friend of mine has Z500, his laptop's display started giving problems few months back & had to be replaced for 6k

I know 3 people who own Y50(almost 1 year old now), of which one laptop's hinge broke within few months (repaired for free). So after all these experiences, I never going to buy a Lenovo laptop again

That is why I'm suggesting GL552JX, which I'm personally considering to buy. GTX960M is better than 950M, also it has DDR3 memory but 4GB DDR3 ~ 2GB DDR5. Also ASUS one has 7200rpm HDD with an additional slot for SSD. Lenovo still uses TN display(better than earlier Y50) but still Asus one's screen is much better (Source: Notebookcheck)

Finally the choice is yours, Y50 is better for gaming & is a VFM laptop for its on paper specs

- - - Updated - - -

A different seller has it for 75k
*paytm.com/shop/p/asus-gl552jx-cn316t-90nb07z1-m04500-core-i7-4th-gen-8-gb-1-tb-39-62-cm-15-6-windows-10-4-gb-black-grey-LAPASUS-GL552JXAMAZ291046C1131A5?psearch=organic%7Cundefined%7Cgl552jx%7Cgrid

- - - Updated - - -

If you are buying Y50, do buy extended warranty from nearby Lenovo showroom. 2 years warranty comes at 5k

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
Dat y50 at 59 k is so tempting man, i have a friend with asus, he tells me to never buy asus, he had problems with his laptop, but i think there wont be any problems with rog.
I also am thinking to add 1tb hybrid sshd 5400rpm..any thoughts on these?
I want to go with lenovo, please dont think that im ignoring your post, thanks for the advice bro

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Dat y50 at 59 k is so tempting man, i have a friend with asus, he tells me to never buy asus, he had problems with his laptop, but i think there wont be any problems with rog.
I also am thinking to add 1tb hybrid sshd 5400rpm..any thoughts on these?
I want to go with lenovo, please dont think that im ignoring your post, thanks for the advice bro

The screen on both these laptop is ok.
First ask if Y50 will be honoured for warranty.

You can replace IPS 1080p screen for both around $80

Add an SSD OF around 250 GB

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
The screen on both these laptop is ok.
First ask if Y50 will be honoured for warranty.

You can replace IPS 1080p screen for both around $80

Add an SSD OF around 250 GB

Yes, it does have manufcturer warranty, ive asked,
I have plans to replace screen in future, also how can i add ssd? It only has one hdd i believe,
Thanks for repky

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Yes, it does have manufcturer warranty, ive asked,
I have plans to replace screen in future, also how can i add ssd? It only has one hdd i believe,
Thanks for repky

Buy a 500 GB SSD at least or
Go for 256 GB Extreme Pro.

And put the HDD in enclosure.

In case of ROG you can add M.2 SSD

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Y50 is the best choice as others suggested
I wouldnt advice HP or Dell because I am facing loads of issues with them while my brothers Y510p is fine in comparison
that being said,no brand is perfect but Lenovo has slightly better quality

Mr.wave

Broken In
you can try this if you have source from US.

DELL Inspiron i7559-2512BLK Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 8 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com

That is why I'm suggesting GL552JX, which I'm personally considering to buy. GTX960M is better than 950M, also it has DDR3 memory but 4GB DDR3 ~ 2GB DDR5. Also ASUS one has 7200rpm HDD with an additional slot for SSD. Lenovo still uses TN display(better than earlier Y50) but still Asus one's screen is much better (Source: Notebookcheck)
All Lenovo y50 models since November last year uses IPS panel
4GB DDR3 is nothing compared to 2 GB DDDR5 . The measly GTX 950 is not powerful enough to properly utilize more than 2GB of VRAM, be it DDR3 or DDR5. Even the desktop GTX 960 has problem utilizing all 4GB VRAM on its 4GB variants.
Stop spreading misleading ideas about build quality of Lenovo laptops. How can you be so sure about ASUS laptop's build quality when you havent even used them.

People like you are cancer to online tech forums . This forum should let us flag users as troll so that they dont lie and mislead other members.
There are more people complaining about Lenovo build quality because majority of gamers buy Lenovo. If there are 10,000 Lenovo y50 in the market, at least 100 or so are bound to be facing problems. And these 100 ppl will be spamming forums with their problems , giving the impresion that a paricular brand X has problems.
You wont find people complaining about MSI or ASUS gaming laptops because these laptops are new in the market, like 1-2yr old at the most. Wait another year or so when these users starts facing problems in their laptops, something which is normal for all laptops. Lenovo y series laptops have been around for ages, they are relics , the only laptop option for gamers in India since like 2012.

PS. I am not a Lenovo fanboy. The only laptops i have owned are Dell and HP (i've made several posts about them here). Both have given me lots of problems but i dnt ***** about them cuz laptops are always prone to problems. i use them for 90 degree Celsius gaming and 24/7 torrenting.
Lenovo has earned a lot of flak due to the amount of people complaining about it, which is understandable and normal, considering how popular it is....but seeing all these people jumping into MSI and ASUS bandwagon like crazy, just appalls me.

PS.2. When you are giving "Source", do actually give the Source/link. Just saying your source was from Notebookcheck doesnt mean anything. You have to give the link, so that we ourselves can see it, verify the date of review, the model number of the machines tested etc etc etc

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
All Lenovo y50 models since November last year uses IPS panel
4GB DDR3 is nothing compared to 2 GB DDDR5 . The measly GTX 950 is not powerful enough to properly utilize more than 2GB of VRAM, be it DDR3 or DDR5. Even the desktop GTX 960 has problem utilizing all 4GB VRAM on its 4GB variants.
Stop spreading misleading ideas about build quality of Lenovo laptops. How can you be so sure about ASUS laptop's build quality when you havent even used them.

People like you are cancer to online tech forums . This forum should let us flag users as troll so that they dont lie and mislead other members.
There are more people complaining about Lenovo build quality because majority of gamers buy Lenovo. If there are 10,000 Lenovo y50 in the market, at least 100 or so are bound to be facing problems. And these 100 ppl will be spamming forums with their problems , giving the impresion that a paricular brand X has problems.
You wont find people complaining about MSI or ASUS gaming laptops because these laptops are new in the market, like 1-2yr old at the most. Wait another year or so when these users starts facing problems in their laptops, something which is normal for all laptops. Lenovo y series laptops have been around for ages, they are relics , the only laptop option for gamers in India since like 2012.

PS. I am not a Lenovo fanboy. The only laptops i have owned are Dell and HP (i've made several posts about them here). Both have given me lots of problems but i dnt ***** about them cuz laptops are always prone to problems. i use them for 90 degree Celsius gaming and 24/7 torrenting.
Lenovo has earned a lot of flak due to the amount of people complaining about it, which is understandable and normal, considering how popular it is....but seeing all these people jumping into MSI and ASUS bandwagon like crazy, just appalls me.

PS.2. When you are giving "Source", do actually give the Source/link. Just saying your source was from Notebookcheck doesnt mean anything. You have to give the link, so that we ourselves can see it, verify the date of review, the model number of the machines tested etc etc etc

I am ascertaining the fact about 960>950
But the laptop y50 mentioned here is from Garg.enterprises ebay.
It has a TN display and those are pathetic compared to my Y510p

I have Asus GL552JX and it's a decent machine.

About the IPS Panels Y50 UHD has those priced for ₹89k.
Believe 960m and UHD are useless combination.
For UHD you need atleast 970m.

So please carefully go through the thread

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys :D
I have finally ordered a y5070 from ebay
I didnt feel it justified spending more money for lower gpu
Ultimately, gpu is only thing that matters in gaming rig i believe.
thanks [MENTION=88645]Jaskanwar Singh[/MENTION], [MENTION=266361]kunalgujarathi[/MENTION], [MENTION=1376]mikael_schiffer[/MENTION], [MENTION=60562]anupam_pb[/MENTION], [MENTION=145127]Mr.wave[/MENTION] [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys :D
I have finally ordered a y5070 from ebay
I didnt feel it justified spending more money for lower gpu
Ultimately, gpu is only thing that matters in gaming rig i believe.
thanks [MENTION=88645]Jaskanwar Singh[/MENTION], [MENTION=266361]kunalgujarathi[/MENTION], [MENTION=1376]mikael_schiffer[/MENTION], [MENTION=60562]anupam_pb[/MENTION], [MENTION=145127]Mr.wave[/MENTION] [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]

Add an SSD 250 GB at least and put the hdd in external casing.
SSD makes a hell lot of difference

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
Add an SSD 250 GB at least and put the hdd in external casing.
SSD makes a hell lot of difference

Hey, i was thinking of adding ssd or hybrid hdd....but
256 gig is too low even when using ext hard disk
Im assuming 200 will be left for me after os and stuff.. 4-5 games will fill it easily, some movies and tv series
512 + hdd would suffice me, but its 12k
Also im afraid about writing things on ssd makes its lifetime less? Like im also using it as primary drive, then all the writing on it will shorten its lifestyle? Or no

Second option is sshd or hybrid, its 6k for 1tb 5400rpm, its boot times are ssd like and opening chrome, after effects , autocad etc but normal copy times are standard 5400 rpm like

Third is 7200rpm, which has slow boot up times etc, but will produce more heat and will eat thru the battery fast

Im in a bind here guys, please help me
Im thinking of going with sshd in 2-3 months and then putting 512 gb ssd , in 2 years, when prices drop hopefully to 7-8k...halp

I am ascertaining the fact about 960>950
But the laptop y50 mentioned here is from Garg.enterprises ebay.
It has a TN display and those are pathetic compared to my Y510p

I have Asus GL552JX and it's a decent machine.

About the IPS Panels Y50 UHD has those priced for ₹89k.
Believe 960m and UHD are useless combination.
For UHD you need atleast 970m.

So please carefully go through the thread
I went through the thread properly.
Your post still does not explain why u said that 4GB DDR3 is better than 2Gb DDR5

@OP
Do not go for SSHD. They are a dying specie. It came with a whiff, and died with a whimper. No one with a sane mind is going for SSHD these days.
Get a 128GB SSD for Rs5,000-6000 . Dont give too much emphasis on Seq write speed. You will need to focus on the Seq Read speed. Get the cheapest SSD with 450,480,500,535,550 Mbps Read speed. Read speed will determine your Windows and App load speed and your game loading speed. Budgest SSDs usually have 180 to 380 Seq Write speed.

Regarding the lifetime, it will outlive your laptop, dont worry. Laptops usually have a lifetime of 3yrs, specially for gamers since we keep it running hot all the time. After 3yrs you are probably looking at it like your nagging wife whom you cant get rid off. Just make sure you dont defrag your SSD. Unless you do non stop read write tasks like those workstations (who are hardcore HDD users), your SSD will work fine. This is 2016. SSD quality is pretty good now.

Get a small SSD(128 or 256) and a slow 4800rpm or 5400rpm HDD. Install only your currently playing games on SSD. After finishing it, uninstall it. You will always have the setup files in your HDD or ext HDD anyways.

Remember, you dont have to install ALL your softwares on the SSD. For example, i have AutoCad 2015, which we use for our currently under construction house. We use it like once a month or when engineer guy comes over. After few months i may even uninstall it. I dont need this huge a$$ software on my SSD. Softwares that should go to SSD are:
1) Word processors
2) Your go to Programming softwares
3) Web browsers, Softwares that run in the background like Antivirus, utorrent (lol every MB counts)

Most people make do with 80 GB to 100GB of C:\ partition
Remaining 114 or so GB from your 128GB SSD whould be enough for the 2-3 AAA games you play these days .

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
I went through the thread properly.
Your post still does not explain why u said that 4GB DDR3 is better than 2Gb DDR5

@OP
Do not go for SSHD. They are a dying specie. It came with a whiff, and died with a whimper. No one with a sane mind is going for SSHD these days.
Get a 128GB SSD for Rs5,000-6000 . Dont give too much emphasis on Seq write speed. You will need to focus on the Seq Read speed. Get the cheapest SSD with 450,480,500,535,550 Mbps Read speed. Read speed will determine your Windows and App load speed and your game loading speed. Budgest SSDs usually have 180 to 380 Seq Write speed.

Regarding the lifetime, it will outlive your laptop, dont worry. Laptops usually have a lifetime of 3yrs, specially for gamers since we keep it running hot all the time. After 3yrs you are probably looking at it like your nagging wife whom you cant get rid off. Just make sure you dont defrag your SSD. Unless you do non stop read write tasks like those workstations (who are hardcore HDD users), your SSD will work fine. This is 2016. SSD quality is pretty good now.

Get a small SSD(128 or 256) and a slow 4800rpm or 5400rpm HDD. Install only your currently playing games on SSD. After finishing it, uninstall it. You will always have the setup files in your HDD or ext HDD anyways.

Remember, you dont have to install ALL your softwares on the SSD. For example, i have AutoCad 2015, which we use for our currently under construction house. We use it like once a month or when engineer guy comes over. After few months i may even uninstall it. I dont need this huge a$$ software on my SSD. Softwares that should go to SSD are:
1) Word processors
2) Your go to Programming softwares
3) Web browsers, Softwares that run in the background like Antivirus, utorrent (lol every MB counts)

Most people make do with 80 GB to 100GB of C:\ partition
Remaining 114 or so GB from your 128GB SSD whould be enough for the 2-3 AAA games you play these days .

Are you saying get 256 gb ssd and an ext. Hdd right?
Because i think y50 doesn have 2 slots for storage.
How could i add 5400 rpm hdd +128gb ssd?
I already have an external 1tb hdd, which i can use as storage, but id like to have movies and tv series on my laptop too, so only 256 gb ssd wont suffice for me..
Im thinking of waitig some time wehn 512 gig ssd becomes sub 7-8k...
About sshd? Whats wrong with them? Laptop already comes with 5400 hdd...so isnt NAND storage plus 1tb isnt good?
Thanks,

Mobile typing sory

Are you saying get 256 gb ssd and an ext. Hdd right?
Because i think y50 doesn have 2 slots for storage.
How could i add 5400 rpm hdd +128gb ssd?
I already have an external 1tb hdd, which i can use as storage, but id like to have movies and tv series on my laptop too, so only 256 gb ssd wont suffice for me..
Im thinking of waitig some time wehn 512 gig ssd becomes sub 7-8k...
About sshd? Whats wrong with them? Laptop already comes with 5400 hdd...so isnt NAND storage plus 1tb isnt good?
Thanks,

Mobile typing sory
SSHD has a small ssd for caching purposes... Overall it gives better performance than HDD but nowhere near SSD.

Y50 has only 1 sata slot, no odd too... You can buy 512GB SSD after a year, maybe (like i did)... Prices will drop in a year

Top Bottom