Suggestions required for upgrade blues !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I really need to upgrade my system and i have a config in mind(I am in favor of an AMD based system since AM3 ready boards will support most of AMD processors - current and upcoming ones). Just to be frank, this machine will not be used for hardcore gaming.

I do not have sufficient funds for a full fledged upgrade and I only wish to build the machine incrementally. I want to spend the most on a good motherboard, RAM and a PSU.I have given my justification against each of my choice below. Please let me know your opinion.

Motherboard : Jetway MA3-79GDG COMBO (This is latest motherboard from Jetway supporting both DDr2 & DDR3, HD3300
integrated graphics, supports a wide range of AMD processors right from AM2, AM2+ and AM3 socket CPUs, has 128 MB sideport memory, HDMI, DV-I and is Crossfire ready)
I don't know whether this mobo is available in India yet but Jetway site says Rashi Peripherals is the distributor
in India. I am assuming this one will cost around 6k.

The other one that I have in mind is the Biostar TA790GX A3 (supports only DDR3, HDMI, HD3300, sideport memory etc).
With the same feature set the Gigabyte GA-MA 790 GP-DS4H is way to pricey (almost 9.5k)
I hope I could make myself clear on this one. DDR3 is overpriced at present but its the future. HDMI is inevitable. I can also add the HD4850 when I am able to . So I am betting on hybrid motherboards like that of Jetway's.

Processor: I can do with an AMD 5000+ for now (price around INR 2.8k) [if i get the above motherboard, i can always upgrade to the 45nm AMD cpus later in the year]

RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5(1 X 2GB DDR2 800MhZ C5)
Here's the best part - I can go with a better DDR2 ram for now since the Jetway has 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots, I can
also upgrade to DDR 3 in the near future.

PSU/SMPS: Coolermaster RS500-PCARA3 (ExtremePower 500W) - No compromise on this one. I plan to add a HD4850 soon and
I am sure i'll need this.

Approx. cost = 6k + 2.8k + 1.7k+2.8k= INR 13.3k
[all prices, expcept for the mobo is based on those from www.theitwares.com]

The rest of the components I can reuse from my current machine.

Thanks,
TP

vvikas28

wiZard member
you can also get it from here if cant find locally
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=477
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2120

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Hi all,

I really need to upgrade my system and i have a config in mind(I am in favor of an AMD based system since AM3 ready boards will support most of AMD processors - current and upcoming ones). Just to be frank, this machine will not be used for hardcore gaming.

I do not have sufficient funds for a full fledged upgrade and I only wish to build the machine incrementally. I want to spend the most on a good motherboard, RAM and a PSU.I have given my justification against each of my choice below. Please let me know your opinion.

Motherboard : Jetway MA3-79GDG COMBO (This is latest motherboard from Jetway supporting both DDr2 & DDR3, HD3300
integrated graphics, supports a wide range of AMD processors right from AM2, AM2+ and AM3 socket CPUs, has 128 MB sideport memory, HDMI, DV-I and is Crossfire ready)
I don't know whether this mobo is available in India yet but Jetway site says Rashi Peripherals is the distributor
in India. I am assuming this one will cost around 6k.

The other one that I have in mind is the Biostar TA790GX A3 (supports only DDR3, HDMI, HD3300, sideport memory etc).
With the same feature set the Gigabyte GA-MA 790 GP-DS4H is way to pricey (almost 9.5k)
I hope I could make myself clear on this one. DDR3 is overpriced at present but its the future. HDMI is inevitable. I can also add the HD4850 when I am able to . So I am betting on hybrid motherboards like that of Jetway's.

Processor: I can do with an AMD 5000+ for now (price around INR 2.8k) [if i get the above motherboard, i can always upgrade to the 45nm AMD cpus later in the year]

RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5(1 X 2GB DDR2 800MhZ C5)
Here's the best part - I can go with a better DDR2 ram for now since the Jetway has 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots, I can
also upgrade to DDR 3 in the near future.

PSU/SMPS: Coolermaster RS500-PCARA3 (ExtremePower 500W) - No compromise on this one. I plan to add a HD4850 soon and
I am sure i'll need this.

Approx. cost = 6k + 2.8k + 1.7k+2.8k= INR 13.3k
[all prices, expcept for the mobo is based on those from www.theitwares.com]

The rest of the components I can reuse from my current machine.

Thanks,
TP

Go for Transcend DDR2 800MHz RAM. Will save you money and the performance will be around the same as Corsair. Go for the Jetway mobo... its the best in the lot. CM EP 500W is a nice PSU, you cant go wrong there. Why dont you try and get the AMD X3 8450 instead of X2 5000+ ?

OP
T

trishulpani

nuBg@mR
Thanks bro!!
That gives me some confidence that my homework was upto the mark.

Also, m not going for the X3 mainly because
1) in gaming, the graphics card matters more than the processor
2)there aren't many applications that are made to run on even two cores (leave alone a 3 core) - and its also a bit phsychological as well - u see, there were many reportings on the net that the AMD X3 is nothing but a quad core with one non-functional (defective) core.

Anyways, the main aim is to save for the HD 4850 Sonic :D.
And yes, i'll go for the transcend as suggested.

Thanks again,
TP

OP
T

trishulpani

nuBg@mR
Well, in that case i'll go with what u suggested.
Btw, wht happened to ur CM ... did it conk out before the warranty ??

OP
T

trishulpani

nuBg@mR
Ok..i see. Actually, its the same with all electronic/electrical goods..u never know which one will turn bad before u actually plug it in. In the same breath, i just read the following thread :(Palit HD4850 creating a problem for the folks :mad:)
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100981&page=1
and i'm reconsidering my decision of putting my hard earned money on the line for a card that might cause problems. I might go for a different vendor now altogether(maybe Sapphire) ..lets see, i'll decide when the time comes.

Thank God for fellow forum users :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom