Suggestion on desktop configuration

anshulkwatra

Right off the assembly line
Dear Group,

I am new to the group (therefore could be repeating some of the stuff people have already asked/answered)

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Play HD movies, photos, basic SOHO work, video games once a while

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: upto 30 K (already have a 22 inch HD LCD monitor, PS2 keyboard and mouse. I dont intend to reuse my video cards and other parts from the existing desktop)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Don't think so (as I don't know to how to overclock and neither do I know the benefits)

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win7/ Vista

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: >500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Already have a HD LCD monitor. Resolution preferred: 1280 x 1080

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: I would say around 3 (can assemble don't think can trouble shoot well)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: partially yes

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Ideally yes (several peripherals need to be connected - DV camera (firewire), printer (USB 2.0), External HDD (USB 2.0), HDMI out preferred, S Video or Component video required)

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor (HD LCD - DVI/VGA input)

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Delhi (open to buy online)

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: As of now the room in which the desktop will be kept would be non-ac

Looking forward to the group's suggestions

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Welcome to ThinkDigit Forums.
I would suggest the following -
Processor - AMD Athlon ii x4 630 : 4.5k
Motherboard - Biostar 785G3 HD : 4k
RAM - 2*2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz from Kingston or G.skill : 5k
Graphics Card - ATI radeon HD 5670 : 6k
HDD - WD caviar green 1 TB : 3.5k
DVD Writer - Any from LG/Samsung/Lite-on : 1k
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma : 2k
PSU - Corsair VX 450 : 3.7k
Total - 29.7k

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

You will have to order NZXT Gamma online as its hardly available anywhere in Delhi and with any remaining money just add fans to the cabinet

borax12

the dotmaster
(all prices after bargaining....these prices are not representative of online prices)

proc-amd phenom2 x4 955be-8000
motherboard-msi 890gx gd 65 usb3.0-6500
ram-2*2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz from Kingston or G.skill : 5000
graphics-the said board has a good hidef support inbuilt ati card(hd 4290 512mb i guess) and will suffice your basic gaming needs...(very entry level card ...please bear this in your mind this board has all future connections sata 6gbps and usb 3.0)
or
choose this-Powercolor Radeon HD5570 1GB GDDR3 -5000
HDD - WD caviar green 1 TB : 3500
DVD Writer -Lite-on : 1000
Cabinet -go for-Cooler Master Elite RC 310 Black-Red-1500
PSU-Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W-3700

total(without graphics card)(and i tell you if acc to your said needs. ie very basic level gaming ... you dont need the very extra high eye candy in your games....go for this option otherwise go for the below mentioned gpu.....)-31000
total(with card)-34000(the card is fine as per your needs and will be able to play dx11 games and dx 10 games in low to mid details
also the motherboard being future proof and the processor being high end and unlocked multiplier version...u can overclock it too ,so later u have the option with you)

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
(all prices after bargaining....these prices are not representative of online prices)

proc-amd phenom2 x6 955be-8000
graphics-the said board has a good hidef support inbuilt ati card(hd 4290 512mb i guess) and will suffice your basic gaming needs...(very entry level card ...please bear this in your mind this board has all future connections sata 6gbps and usb 3.0)
or
choose this-Asus Radeon HD5570 1GB DDR2 -4000
PSU-Cooler Master 600W SMPS (RS600-PCARE3-EU)-3500

total(without graphics card)(and i tell you if acc to your said needs. ie very basic level gaming ... you dont need the very extra high eye candy in your games....go for this option otherwise go for the below mentioned gpu.....)-29000
total(with card)-33000(the card is fine as per your needs and will be able to play dx11 games and dx 10 games in low to mid details
also the motherboard being future proof and the processor being high end and unlocked multiplier version...u can overclock it too ,so later u have the option with you)

i think you brought a fake proccy as theres nothing like X6 955 BE :grin:

also HD5570 is a good card but DDR2 based means its bottlenecked by the slow memory.

also Extreme Power is bad PSU. its been told once or more everyday in this part or some part of the forum. its best avoid it than bring unnecessary problems. yours it 600W but it hardly makes a difference.

Welcome to ThinkDigit Forums.
I would suggest the following -
Processor - AMD Athlon ii x4 630 : 4.5k
Motherboard - Biostar 785G3 HD : 4k
RAM - 2*2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz from Kingston or G.skill : 5k
Graphics Card - ATI radeon HD 5670 : 6k
HDD - WD caviar green 1 TB : 3.5k
DVD Writer - Any from LG/Samsung/Lite-on : 1k
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma : 2k
PSU - Corsair VX 450 : 3.7k
Total - 29.7k

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

You will have to order NZXT Gamma online as its hardly available anywhere in Delhi and with any remaining money just add fans to the cabinet

he can settle for a slightly cheaper PSU like Corsair CX400W. or FSP Saga II 400W. this will allow him to get a Sata 6Gbps ready mobo. rest everything good & well balanced.

OP
A

anshulkwatra

Right off the assembly line
Thanks group for the very quick response.

As a group, the forum seems to suggest that AMD platform would be better option compared to Intel (considering the information I shared about my needs). Would love to understand how the forum would shortlisted to the suggestions (just curious to understand the technology - because I don't think understand the more recent naming/numbering convention)

Will forward to the group for more inputs.

Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra

fatalcore

Journeyman

proc-amd phenom2 x6 955be-8000
or
choose this-Asus Radeon HD5570 1GB DDR2 -4000
PSU-Cooler Master 600W SMPS (RS600-PCARE3-EU)-3500

total(without graphics card)(and i tell you if acc to your said needs. ie very basic level gaming ... you dont need the very extra high eye candy in your games....go for this option otherwise go for the below mentioned gpu.....)-29000
total(with card)-33000(the card is fine as per your needs and will be able to play dx11 games and dx 10 games in low to mid details

I am a bit shocked to listen the x6 amd processor....I think that will be x4..i guess....

Neway,Well from my experience......Some how i fell (InTeRnAlLy) that iNtel is more well processed,grooved and defined processor than AMD.
I some how feel satisfied with the intel processor than amd.

***The question is why ?
***Ans : I had an athlon processor 5 years back, when i bought the processor it was 2.2 or 2.4Ghz (Sorry i dont remember the exact speed)
But once i plugged in the power i found that it showed 1.9Ghz throughout the 5 years....When en quired, they said its like that only....I felt bad ...very bad...

However , intel didn't do that it shows what it has.....I mean my present Q9550 shows 2.83Ghz...and no issue.

But one thing i must say amd pays value for money , no doubt in that, where as intel proccys are too costly.:-(

Thats why i guess forum people suggests amd combination for mid level gamers.

After all money dont grow on trees ! (My fathers dialog.):grin:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
fatalcore same thing my father says.....lolz

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

if and only if there was a money growing tree!!!!!

fatalcore

Journeyman
My father gives me another dialog....somewhat goes like this .... " Put the money in the bank nd they will give babies after 1 year in the form of interest " .

For my part with the tree....------------> " ALIENWARE ":D:D:D....No assembling...nothing...........

mavihs

Techie By Heart
***The question is why ?
***Ans : I had an athlon processor 5 years back, when i bought the processor it was 2.2 or 2.4Ghz (Sorry i dont remember the exact speed)
But once i plugged in the power i found that it showed 1.9Ghz throughout the 5 years....When en quired, they said its like that only....I felt bad ...very bad...
i have never heard of anything like that happening with AMD!!!
i have total 2 systems both AMD, 1 is Phenom & other is Athlon & i have built lots of systems & i havn't seen anything like that happen before!
can you tell be which model you had?

@OP
change the HDD to Seagate 1TB or get WD 500GB Blue+ 500GB Green(it'll cost the same)! WD 1TB Green will give your really bad performance as a OS host drive!
Also the above given rates are low for some of the H/W!
Also buying the NZXT Gamma online will cost you 2.8K around(including shipping & vat)! as shipping is really expensive!
even some of my friends want it so i'm trying to get a group of ppl to order in bulk! you interested?

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

For my part with the tree....------------> " ALIENWARE ":D:D:D....No assembling...nothing...........
personally i really don't like Alienware Desktop other than the looks! if given the money i can build a better RIG with almost as good looks!

fatalcore

Journeyman
^@Mahivs

Well i used that pc for the last past 5 years before going to intel Q9550,and i have seen the same with my uncles amd processor too....So i cant eat the same fact .

As for alienware is concerned....I am talking about extremely beautiful and brain , Not only brain :D I was also checking out another system for around $4,200+ company assembled...that too was awesome looking.....

The interesting part --->I didnot understand the things they used in the cabby....:D:D:D

mavihs

Techie By Heart
^@Mahivs

Well i used that pc for the last past 5 years before going to intel Q9550,and i have seen the same with my uncles amd processor too....So i cant eat the same fact .
then that must be coz of the cool & quiet feature!
AMD proccy decrease the frequency to save power & to produce less heat when the compute power is not required!
download CPU-Z & check.

fatalcore

Journeyman
Yes i had that feature...but unfortunately i dont have that proccy anymore.....What ever......1.9 was pathetic......Cool & quite is **** then.....intel dont have to do this ! why AMD ?

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Yes i had that feature...but unfortunately i dont have that proccy anymore.....What ever......1.9 was pathetic......Cool & quite is **** then.....intel dont have to do this ! why AMD ?
actually cool & Quite takes the proccy down to 800MHz or around that!
i think you might have got cheated!:-|

BTW Thats an awesome feature!!!!

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
***The question is why ?

I know what happened, you saw the processor model number which would be Athlon XP 2400+ or something like that and you thought it was a 2.4Ghz proccy. AMD never claimed that, the model number never corresponds with the speed. I have AMD Athlon X2 3600+ which runs at 2.0Ghz.

AMD is a better option, at least for people with budgets upto 50k for a full PC

fatalcore

Journeyman
^@Cool Buddy

Xactly !
It was 2400+ . OK ! Now i get it.......U are absolutely right it was Athlon XP 2400+
I thought that 2400+ will be atleast 2.4ghz+ :)

My confusion is clear,Thanks for the knowledge.

Then how will i come to know about the speed of the AMD proccy in shop by looking at it?(I think this is a very vital question)
-----------------------------
Bro , with 50k i think intel too can offer good deal....but (No doubt AMD offers more-VFM)

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I had similar confusion about model number, but that was long back. It was cleared around 6-7 years back. You can check the speeds on the Internet, from the catalogue which shop owners have or from the box itself. These days AMD processors have 3 digit model number, so there is no confusion.

Yes Intel can provide a good deal with core i5 quad core processors for someone with a budget of Rs. 50000. But still, AMD Phenom II X6 will fit in around that budget and this will better for multitasking, So even at that budget, I prefer AMD only.

One question to fatalcore:
Didn't the Intel Q9550 make you think that it was a 9.55Ghz processor? :lol:

Just kidding, don't take it seriously

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

coming back to the topic, I think cybertonic's suggestion is the best one and sam.shab's suggestion is also correct, FSP Saga II 400W will suffice, 500W if need some upgrades later on.
I don't think that one should worry about SATA 6gbps. Today's HDDs are unable to exhaust the bandwidth offered by SATA 3gbps and major speed improvements in HDDs is hardly expected. SATA 6gbps will only be required for high-end SSDs and those are currently out of reach for normal home users and will remain so for another 2-3 years. Better look for USB 3.0

borax12

the dotmaster
hey i changed the typo...i made ...its amd phenom 2 x4 955 be....also the psu is now cooler master ....they have a good review as per performance is considered....real power psu....460 w should be able to handle these components well....also the gpu is now Powercolor Radeon HD5570 1GB GDDR3 .....so its should perform better as per needs.....(and yeah regarding the prices they are accurate bargain prices ....no questions about that...you will for sure get these products at these prices after very little bargaining.

and yeah i am not an amd fanboy...so this is not a biased suggestion.....i suggested this proccy as the chipset and socket that this board requires are easy to find,cheap and offer great performance...and also these boards offer the best technology(by best i mean future proof technologies like usb 3.0 and sata 3.....that too at a lower price...)if the same kind of performance board for p55 or x58 are looked for....they are a little costly...and yeah amd does have nice overclocking headroom (that too at stock air cooling solutions....)...so thats the best that i could suggest ...finally its up to you to decide whether you want an intel based build or an amd.....

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Intel got SpeedStep or some feature too.

BTW Thats an awesome feature!!!!

yup. but my 4.5yrs old P4 got no such features :(

Then how will i come to know about the speed of the AMD proccy in shop by looking at it?(I think this is a very vital question)
-----------------------------
Bro , with 50k i think intel too can offer good deal....but (No doubt AMD offers more-VFM)

look at the seal. it usually have the speed printed in it. as for AMD, remember 2-3 proccy & its speed & derive the rest. confusing is Core i-series lineup. speed, turbo, HT, no of cores.

why not athlonII X2 635 or phenomII 945(both of them comboed with 5770)???

if you can find it for good price, get it.

borax12

the dotmaster
....for the phenom 2 series the seal of originality is the amd mark printed behind the top cover flap...and always remember to buy the phenom 2 models with c3 stepping(less power consumption).......and any of those two proccy combined with an ati 5770 would yield mid level gaming rig...as for the speeds of the processor...its usually mentioned on the side panel of the box...with the amd seal imprinted alongside.....its always mentioned in ghz....so no worries on that...and yeah....see to it that the seal on the top cover ain't broken...esp if its being bought from the grey market.....(though this will be the first thing everybody loks for....ie the factory seal....)

Top Bottom