Suggestion on a Good Wi-Fi Router for Home Use ?

augustya

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a Not So expensive Wi-Fi Router for My Home use in the price range of 2K-3K My Home is around 1000 Sq.Ft. So the Router should have a range of atleast that much area. I was using the ASUS RT-N13U till now and was pretty happy with its performance untill it died down on me a couple of days back, Hence I am on the look-out for a New Wi-Fi Router. I would at the most use 8 devices on it, and Maybe Simultaneously 3-4 devices at the same time.

So guys any suggestions ? Will be highly appreciated.

Thanks !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Archer-C6-Wireless-MU-MIMO/dp/B07GVR9TG7/

If willing to extend the budget by ~1k to get a much superior router then get this:
ASUS RT-AC58U AC1300 Dual Band WiFi Router with MU-MIMO and Parental Controls for smooth streaming 4K videos from Youtube and Netflix
The above site is completely safe as nationalpc is official distributor of asus routers in India & same seller(nationalpc) sells asus routers on amazon site(you can check it) but there the prices are higher(because amazon charges commission from other sellers for using their shopping platform).

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman

If willing to extend the budget by ~1k to get a much superior router then get this:
ASUS RT-AC58U AC1300 Dual Band WiFi Router with MU-MIMO and Parental Controls for smooth streaming 4K videos from Youtube and Netflix
The above site is completely safe as nationalpc is official distributor of asus routers in India & same seller(nationalpc) sells asus routers on amazon site(you can check it) but there the prices are higher(because amazon charges commission from other sellers for using their shopping platform).

Thanks for the suggestions, I was also thinking about the MI Router which is called the 3C Router but that is not available anywhere not on MI sites not on Third Party Sites and where it is available is availble thrice the price.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
Are ASUS Routers considered the best in Business this is the second time that I have set to buy a Wi-Fi Router somebody has again suggested me ASUS !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions, I was also thinking about the MI Router which is called the 3C Router but that is not available anywhere not on MI sites not on Third Party Sites and where it is available is availble thrice the price.
People were usually getting mi 3C from china/aliexpress but nowadays customs become strict & depending on your luck they may levy large customs duty(~30-40%).

Are ASUS Routers considered the best in Business this is the second time that I have set to buy a Wi-Fi Router somebody has again suggested me ASUS !
Asus make some good routers,it is just that in budget router category only good options are asus & tplink & out of them asus,on an average,has a bit better build quality.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
I had the Asus RT N13U and I guess the RT N15U is its higher version model right ? How would the RT-N15U be ? I was pretty happy with the performance of RT-N13U plus I have a Mi Wi-Fi Extender in My house which can extend the Reach of the Wi-Fi Network.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the Asus RT N13U and I guess the RT N15U is its higher version model right ? How would the RT-N15U be ? I was pretty happy with the performance of RT-N13U plus I have a Mi Wi-Fi Extender in My house which can extend the Reach of the Wi-Fi Network.
N15U is old & not recommended now because it is only single band/2.4GHz/n router.Nowadays it is recommended to get dual band(2.4Ghz & 5GHz) wifi router.For asus the only such model under 3k is *www.amazon.in/ASUS-RT-AC53-AC750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B07BTWRVNH but after reading one review of Archer C6(or may be asus AC53) on amazon I think signal strength of C6 is better than AC53.

is MI 3C a Good Router by the way ? How is the performance ?
Reviews suggests it is good but again it is also only single band/n-router.

The reason for 5GHz band is because of increasing interference on 2.4GHz band as more & more people in neighbourhood start using wifi devices.5GHz band also supports much more speed compared to 2.4GHz band & is a must if you plan on getting some broadband connection with 40-50mbps or above(common nowadays in metro cities). Only thing is that range of 5GHz band is less than 2.4GHz band(laws of physics) & many devices even today only have 2.4GHz/150/300mbps wifi but it is still worth it.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman

So I also contacted ASUS Call Center Directly, And the Tech Expert there suggested me the following Models of ASUS Wi-Fi Routers. Do you think out of this is worth considering ?

RT-N12+
RT-N18U
RT-AC58U
RT-AC51U
RT-N12 HP
RT-N14U HP

Also I wanted to know how is RT-AC53 and RT-AC53U ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
RT-AC53 & tplink Archer C6 costs same but C6 has 4 antennas(compared to 3 on AC53) & a recent review on archer C6 amazon page says its range is better than AC53. Archer C6 has better processor(qualcomm vs mediatek on AC53) & double the amount of ram(128mb vs 64mb on AC53). AC58U is much better than both with a quad core processor & more memory.

P.S. AC53U model is not sold in India.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman

RT-AC53 & tplink Archer C6 costs same but C6 has 4 antennas(compared to 3 on AC53) & a recent review on archer C6 amazon page says its range is better than AC53. Archer C6 has better processor(qualcomm vs mediatek on AC53) & double the amount of ram(128mb vs 64mb on AC53). AC58U is much better than both with a quad core processor & more memory.

P.S. AC53U model is not sold in India.

But isnt ASUS Router better than TP-Link ? And so you are saying, If I want no interference I should go for a Router which also supports 5gHZ Bandwith is it ? It will have low signal strength but will support Higher Internet Speed ? right ? Thats what you are saying ? isnt it ?

And ASUS Tech Support suggested me RT N18U what do you think about it ?

My Budget was between 2K to 3K This ASUS RT-AC58U is 4.5K !!

mitraark

Decrepit
*www.amazon.in/iBall-Baton-iB-WRD12EN-Wireless-Router/dp/B07F3P1PMR?tag=googinhydr18418-21

I bought this router for Rs 899 ( Rs 100 cashback on RuPay Cards )

It has 4x 5Dbi Antenna, 5 GHz: Up to 867 Mbps, 2.4 GHz: Up to 300 Mbps.

I know, iBall isn't really a brand one has faith in. But i needed a cheap yet powerful router, got a 70mbps broadband connection, was actually meaning to buy the TP Link WR940N which was available for Rs 1000 on Flipkart on some days. But when i saw this deal, i felt like taking a chance. I have been using the router for about 2 weeks now and it is working quite well actually. Range is decent, noticeably better than my previous router TP Link WR841N, speeds are great, i get transfer speeds of 100 - 150 mbps between my PCs which are in adjecent rooms to the one in the middle where router is kept. Its on all the time, no issues like wifi stopping ( had that issue with a TP Link AC750 C20i i bought a couple of years back, its lying useless now, should have got it exchanged under warranty :( )

Anyway, this is was my experience with getting a router for home use. If you're willing to take a risk of Rs 1000 against buying a costly router go ahead. Otherwise I suggest TP Link Wr940N or WR840N will be good enough for your use.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

But isnt ASUS Router better than TP-Link ? And so you are saying, If I want no interference I should go for a Router which also supports 5gHZ Bandwith is it ? It will have low signal strength but will support Higher Internet Speed ? right ? Thats what you are saying ? isnt it ?

And ASUS Tech Support suggested me RT N18U what do you think about it ?

My Budget was between 2K to 3K This ASUS RT-AC58U is 4.5K !!
Yes,asus routers are a bit better than tplink routers but that is a general estimation,it does not mean any asus router is better than any tplink router.In same price range there are some tplink models that are better than asus models.N18U is an old 2.4Ghz single band model so don't know why it has been suggested(should tell you why you should never listen to shopkeepers/customer care persons without doing your own research). Since your budget is 2-3k just get Archer C6 or AC53,anyone should be fine for your usage but I suggest Archer C6 & anyway amazon refund/replacement policy is quite good so if you don't like Archer C6 then simply return it for AC53.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
Yes,asus routers are a bit better than tplink routers but that is a general estimation,it does not mean any asus router is better than any tplink router.In same price range there are some tplink models that are better than asus models.N18U is an old 2.4Ghz single band model so don't know why it has been suggested(should tell you why you should never listen to shopkeepers/customer care persons without doing your own research). Since your budget is 2-3k just get Archer C6 or AC53,anyone should be fine for your usage but I suggest Archer C6 & anyway amazon refund/replacement policy is quite good so if you don't like Archer C6 then simply return it for AC53.

And one more thing, You are saying the ASUS RT-AC58U is better and superior even than the TP-Link Archer C6 also right ? Should I decide that, so asking.

The ASUS RT-AC58U says it helps in faster streaming of NETFLIX and Youtube what is that Feature ? It wont stream anything higher than my Internet Speed isnt it ? So how does it help ?

About the 5gHZ question that I had is that correct that If I want no interference I should go for a Router which also supports 5gHZ Bandwith is it ? It will have low signal strength but will support Higher Internet Speed ? right ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,AC58U is better than C6/any router in its price range.

Router is just like a mini computer,if you start streaming HD quality on multiple devices(or 4k streaming on 1-2 devices) then it will become slower because of increased load on processor & high ram usage.That is why costlier routers have faster processors & more ram to handle the load.Other than streaming from internet services,you can also stream from your pc/laptop using software too.

Yes,2.4GHz band nowadays has more interference.e.g.my neighbour also has a 2.4GHz wifi router & on same floor it is not an issue but on another floor my router 2.4GHz interfere with his 2.4Ghz resulting in disconnections sometimes. 5GHz band has much less chances of interference as it is a wider band & it also supports much higher speeds so must for smooth HD/4k streaming.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
Yes,AC58U is better than C6/any router in its price range.

Router is just like a mini computer,if you start streaming HD quality on multiple devices(or 4k streaming on 1-2 devices) then it will become slower because of increased load on processor & high ram usage.That is why costlier routers have faster processors & more ram to handle the load.Other than streaming from internet services,you can also stream from your pc/laptop using software too.

Yes,2.4GHz band nowadays has more interference.e.g.my neighbour also has a 2.4GHz wifi router & on same floor it is not an issue but on another floor my router 2.4GHz interfere with his 2.4Ghz resulting in disconnections sometimes. 5GHz band has much less chances of interference as it is a wider band & it also supports much higher speeds so must for smooth HD/4k streaming.

Ok one last thing that I wanted to ask you is, on the ASUS India RT-AC58 U specifications page it says it does not have an extender mode

RT-AC58U | Networking | ASUS India

but for the AC-53 it says it has, so does that mean if I have an external a separate Wi-Fi extender that would not sync and work with the Ac58U ? I have a MI Wi-Fi extender which I was using as a range extender with my earlier ASUS Router !

Last edited:
Top Bottom