suggestion needed...urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack// ani

In the zone
hi all,

is it really worth buying a 80/120gb pata hard drive now...as sata is better performer, and pata drives will soon turn obsolete!!! i'm asking becoz, my old motherboard don't have a sata interface....maybe i will buy a newer one after some while, but right now i've to immediate replace my drive!! what do you suggest should i go for pata drive or not?? will i be able to conneted pata drive to newer motherboards, with sata interface in future??

thax

Raiden Bee

Broken In
pata will be dad soon. Intel will withdraw support in 2007
And there is no sense in buying a new PATA.
What i suggest is, wait with your old one or buy a new motherborad soon

nil_3

In the zone
Whether any kind of card is available for older PATA motherboards which will support SATA Harddiscs?

digiFriend

In the zone
buy PATA as you r in urgent need. pata disk will be also be supported by any new motherboard(as long as cd/dvd drive are pata,there will be pata support in newer motherboard). practical difference in data speed is negliable between pata and sata1.(buying new mother board will not solve the problem as your RAM, processor may not be supported by new motherboard.)
true hard fact:there is nothing like update in hardware,design change is so rapid and newer model carry premium price.

Last edited:

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Apart from going for a PATA HDD, you could also consider buying a SATA HDD with a PCI SATA controller card. Don't expect any performance boosts that SATA boasts of because afaik, running a SATA HDD on a SATA card would only give around ATA 133 or something which would make it similar (in performance) to a PATA HDD. But doing so would give you full-fledged sata performance when you upgrade your mobo.

Note, however, that SATA drives used with add-in cards or with motherboards having a separate SATA controller chip are limited to the 133-MBps speed of the PCI bus. Full-speed SATA requires a motherboard with SATA support in its core logic.

Source: *www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111654,00.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom