Suggest SSD drive

user28

Journeyman
Hi,

My SSD drive failed yesterday and I need to buy a new one. My usage would be using it as a boot drive and bare minimum apps like MS Office and Antivirus. Would be using it with Windows 7.
In some of the posts, I had seen people suggesting Samsung 850 series. Is that good and how is the performance?
My old SSD is a Kingston 64 GB (V100 series), which failed two times in 3 years and 2 drives replaced. Reliability is a little over 1 year for the Kingston drive i have used. So no to Kingston this time.

I have checked Amazon and there are brands like AData, Liteon, PNY etc retailing under 4K. Any info about these? Should I consider them? or go with the brands like Sandisk and Samsung?

Please advise me. I am ok even with a 64 GB drive. My budget is upto 4K.

D@rekills4

In the zone
Hi,

My SSD drive failed yesterday and I need to buy a new one. My usage would be using it as a boot drive and bare minimum apps like MS Office and Antivirus. Would be using it with Windows 7.
In some of the posts, I had seen people suggesting Samsung 850 series. Is that good and how is the performance?
My old SSD is a Kingston 64 GB (V100 series), which failed two times in 3 years and 2 drives replaced. Reliability is a little over 1 year for the Kingston drive i have used. So no to Kingston this time.

I have checked Amazon and there are brands like AData, Liteon, PNY etc retailing under 4K. Any info about these? Should I consider them? or go with the brands like Sandisk and Samsung?

Please advise me. I am ok even with a 64 GB drive. My budget is upto 4K.

If I recall correctly I think the Samsung 850 Evo has a 5 year warranty and 850 Pro has a 10 year warranty.

Yep, just confirmed.
Service & Warranty | FAQs | Samsung V-NAND SS

singh_dd93

Journeyman
If you dont mind going for a lesser known new brands. Try Chiprex 120GB Advanced Series.
I bought a few in Jan 2016 for our office server which has been running 24x7 and has a huge read/write and the performance is good. I have 1 240GB in my PC and speeds are good.

The problem can be warranty, but I havent needed it for now.

BTW I bought 120GB Advanced Series (3 Years warranty) for 2749/- from Amazon. It is unavailable there for now.
Amazon.in: Buy CHIPREX 120GB SSD 2.5" TLC ADVANCE SERIES (3 Year Warranty) Online at Low Prices in India | CHIPREX Reviews & Rating

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
All the best.
I am getting the 850 Evo 500 GB as well this Diwali.

What about the SATA cables? Till now I am using the cheap generic cables mostly chinese made. These are creating a hell lot of problems. Every cable fails after 4 to 6 months. I am fed up of these cheap cables. Any suggestion on good ones? If there are really good ones, is it worth to invest that premium amount just for a cable? Does they really provide that stability and reliability?

For example this one:
BitFenix Alchemy SATA 6GB/s braided cable 30cm - White (BFA-MSC-SATA330WK-RP) | eBa

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
What about the SATA cables? Till now I am using the cheap generic cables mostly chinese made. These are creating a hell lot of problems. Every cable fails after 4 to 6 months. I am fed up of these cheap cables. Any suggestion on good ones? If there are really good ones, is it worth to invest that premium amount just for a cable? Does they really provide that stability and reliability?

For example this one:
BitFenix Alchemy SATA 6GB/s braided cable 30cm - White (BFA-MSC-SATA330WK-RP) | eBa
You dont need to go with such expensive Sata 3 cables because there wont be any difference in speed & quality.

You can go with the below specified Storite Sata 3 cables.

Link: (2 Pack) Storite SATA III (SATA 3) cable black (40cm) with Locking Latch straight to Right Angle 90 Degree | compatible up to S-ATA/600 | Serial ATA | 1,5GBs/3GBs/6GBs (backward compatible) | S-ATA Cable l Compatible with Sata I and Sata II:Amazon:El

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION]

I tried those Storite Sata cables. I had once ordered them and to my surprise i found out that they are no different than the cheat Sata cables we buy from the shops. They are just rebranded chinese cables.
When I received the cables (pack of 5), on closer examination, i found out that each cable is manufactured by a different chinese company. I thought that the brand Storite may be of some good quality. They even had a website. But the fact is they are just cheap chinese products. Imported and rebranded. Nothing more than that.

Top Bottom