suggest some external modems that work in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdoc

Broken In
hi guys can u suggest some external modems that are supported in linux also if possible the price too.i currently have an internal modem with conexant chipset by ace.i had tried redhat linux9 earlier and couldnt make it work.i couldnt get the drivers.so planning to buy an external one so that i could have netaccess via linux.i heard external hardware modems are supported in linux.u r suggestions in this regard are appreciated.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have used US Robotics and now regulalrly use DLink. Both have worked without any problem so far.

technomodel

Journeyman
technically speaking any external modem should work fine in linux as it is easier to write drivers for them.i've used d-link,us robotics and motorola, they all worked.but before buying the modem, i'd suggest you visit the manufacturer's website and make sure that they currently support it and new drivers are released regularly.

ps:my suggestion will be d-link.they are cheap,good and easily detected.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
technomodel said:
technically speaking any external modem should work fine in linux as it is easier to write drivers for them.
Internal modems dont have onboard processors and use the main system processor's CPU cycles to process its data... External modems on the other hand have dedicated processor along with firmware that makes it compatible with any OS possible. The kernel just has to do a read/write with the serial port to which the modem is connected and that's all...

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
pradeep_chauhan said:
it_waaznt_me
Lets not make this an english learning class PLEASE.

??

What English learning class ..?

I intend to ask is it working still or not .. Cauz I was considering buying too.. Or maybe wait for the BSNL Broadband .. Waise these external modems are around 1500 and the BSNL modem is 3000 Rs .. What shall I go for ..?

OP
techdoc

techdoc

Broken In
thank u guys for that response.ithink i would go for d-link-the one thats proven to work.i think i will make deal with the vendor for a replacement if it doesnt work.thanks once again. :D

tuxfan

Technomancer
it_waaznt_me said:
I intend to ask is it working still or not .. Cauz I was considering buying too.. Or maybe wait for the BSNL Broadband .. Waise these external modems are around 1500 and the BSNL modem is 3000 Rs .. What shall I go for ..?

I would suggest wait for the BSNL broadband. See the opinions, working, etc. and then spend. As such it is not too far away from release :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom