Steam

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Have International transactions turned on and have set up limits for both domestic and international.
Been using this card for a long time via online/merchant in and out of India. Never been a problem. This just seemed weird.
Anyway talked to CC, got it unblocked and was able to buy the game later.
This used to happen on my Citi card as well. It would work only after I call them and chew them up.

Has there been any change in purchasing games on steam with Credit Cards recently?
Today was attempting to buy Cyberpunk 2077 and transaction was declined. Tried again and same result. Then got a message that my card is temporarily blocked.
Never happened before and all transactions went through without the need for OTPs on steam before. Bought some games in recent Halloween sale as well without any hassle.
My HDFC Milennia is working fine directly on steam but have to pay some extra charges for International txn even though payment is in INR.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
My HDFC Milennia is working fine directly on steam but have to pay some extra charges for International txn even though payment is in INR.
That INR amt you see there is just an online currency converter function on webpage. An international txn will remain international along with all the associated charges like forex markup irrespective of the currency you see on the page.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
That INR amt you see there is just an online currency converter function on webpage. An international txn will remain international along with all the associated charges like forex markup irrespective of the currency you see on the page.
If it is INR bank charge DCC markup fee which is 1% while forex markup is charged when the currency is non INR varies from 0 to 4%

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Banks tend to block CC transactions from time to time.
Just few days ago my bank account was blocked as I applied in an SME IPO (the thing I do on frequent basis). Until I got it unblocked from calling customer care.

Usually bank calls when they block card or bank account and give you chance to unblock it. If you miss taking this call, you can call to Customer Care yourself.

Banks tend to block CC transactions from time to time.
Just few days ago my bank account was blocked as I applied in an SME IPO (the thing I do on frequent basis). Until I got it unblocked from calling customer care.

Usually bank calls when they block card or bank account and give you chance to unblock it. If you miss taking this call, you can call to Customer Care yourself.
This happened with me when I did my first such international transaction on a new card, be it Axis debit card or HDFC CC which I use now. Post that it works w/o issue, usually get the call within a few mins as I remember getting call from HDFC at midnight when I used my CC on steam for first time.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rechecked my statement, I am being charged 1% of txn amount then 18% GST on that 1%, nothing else. So paying in INR on steam is fine.
After how many days you checked this, check after at least 3-4 days of doing the txn & in generated statement once (which incl this txn) as sometimes the forex markup charge is levied a bit later by the bank. If still no such charge then my guess is that you are paying extra in the form of converted amt to rupees as shown on foreign merchant website just like paypal does when it uses its own currency conversion rate which is always costlier than Indian banks' currency conversion rate so you pay roughly same amt as (foreign currency amt+3.5% markup on that amt+gst on that markup).

After how many days you checked this, check after at least 3-4 days of doing the txn & in generated statement once (which incl this txn) as sometimes the forex markup charge is levied a bit later by the bank. If still no such charge then my guess is that you are paying extra in the form of converted amt to rupees as shown on foreign merchant website just like paypal does when it uses its own currency conversion rate which is always costlier than Indian banks' currency conversion rate so you pay roughly same amt as (foreign currency amt+3.5% markup on that amt+gst on that markup).
More than 1 week easily as statement has already been generated for last month. Have observed this over last few months since the other domestic payment method stopped working.

Edit - Rechecked, made purchase on 31/10 from steam, additional charges on 03/11, statement generated after 20th. Mentioned as "1% on all DCC Transaction".

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than 1 week easily as statement has already been generated for last month. Have observed this over last few months since the other domestic payment method stopped working.

Edit - Rechecked, made purchase on 31/10 from steam, additional charges on 03/11, statement generated after 20th. Mentioned as "1% on all DCC Transaction".
What's the difference between rupee amt+dcc vs foreign currency amt converted to rupees on that day exchange rate+3.5% ?

What's the difference between rupee amt+dcc vs foreign currency amt converted to rupees on that day exchange rate+3.5% ?
No idea. But in steam I'm paying in INR but apparently they are an international seller is what I understand:

www.hdfcbank.com/personal/resources/learning-centre/pay/credit-card-mistakes-to-avoid-while-travelling-abroad

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No idea. But in steam I'm paying in INR but apparently they are an international seller is what I understand:

www.hdfcbank.com/personal/resources/learning-centre/pay/credit-card-mistakes-to-avoid-while-travelling-abroad
Open the steam link without login from some usa proxy or convert back the rupee amt to USD & see if it matches close to US known price assuming steam is not selling at India specific discounted price.

That link you posted confirmed what my guess was though.

DCC and non-DCC Payments

If you pay for your international purchase in the form of a DCC payment, your order summary will reflect the cost of purchasing the product in ₹ value. But in a non-DCC scenario, the order summary will be available in the store outlet’s or e-commerce site’s native currency.

It is observed that the exchange rate in DCC payments is much higher than the exchange rate in non-DCC payments. So, while making a DCC payment may seem convenient, it might end up costing you significantly more than a non-DCC payment.

Open the steam link without login from some usa proxy or convert back the rupee amt to USD & see if it matches close to US known price assuming steam is not selling at India specific discounted price.

That link you posted confirmed what my guess was though.
Almost all games are priced lower in India vs USA. A $70 game will be 5.8k, new CoD is like 5.6k. But in US, state tax is added in final checkout it seems, not the case for us.

Many games release here at 3-3.5k instead of 5k+, so we are still getting some regional discounts.

Top Bottom