SSD under 5-6k?

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Hi TDF!

I am looking to buy a Solid State Drive of about 32-64GB in 5k. I will install and use linux on it, with Windows on main hard disk.
Please suggest me a SSD which I can use for Linux and will most likely not shoot an error on me after 1-2 months(or more:p).

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this will suite you fine:-

Flipkart: Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (SV100S2/64G): Internal Hard Drive

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
I think this will suite you fine:-

Flipkart: Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (SV100S2/64G): Internal Hard Drive
Thanks!
How does this compare to it?
Flipkart: Transcend 64 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (TS64GSSD25S-M): Internal Hard Drive

Also, is it worth sending 800 more on this:
Flipkart: OCZ Vertex 2 40 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-2VTX40G): Internal Hard Drive ? :oops:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No idea about Transcend one. Vertex 2 is good, if you are happy with 40gb storage you can get it.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
No idea about Transcend one. Vertex 2 is good, if you are happy with 40gb storage you can get it.
Good in speed or reliability? If its only speed then I will go with kingston otherwise I will have to think again... :p

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Vertex 2.
THe OCZ name works here behind suggesting you this. No experience with Vertex 2 drives. One of my friends have vertex 3, and needless to say, it works like a charm for them. ;)

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Vertex 2.
THe OCZ name works here behind suggesting you this. No experience with Vertex 2 drives. One of my friends have vertex 3, and needless to say, it works like a charm for them. ;)
Today I was thinking of not purchasing an SSD now, as some articles said that they dont provide much improvement but now I read this. The boot time looks impressive, so I dropped the idea of not buying it.. :p

Budget Sub-$150 Solid State Drive Round-up > OCZ Vertex 2 - TechSpot Reviews
Costing roughly $124 the 40GB version of the Vertex 2 is actually cheaper than the 40GB Agility 2. At this price the drive works out to around $3.10 per gigabyte, making it the second most expensive SSD featured in this round-up.

The odd thing about this is that the Agility 2 series is meant to be slightly more affordable as the input/output operations per second (IOPS) rating is over four times lower. Whereas the random write 4k (Aligned) performance of the Agility 2 series is 10,000 IOPS the Vertex 2 drives are rated at 45,000 IOPS.

*static.techspot.com/articles-info/313/bench/Realworld_01.png
The difference between Kingston & OCZ 2 is <1 second. :???:

Also, if you check the tests on this page, Kingston performs better than OCZ
Budget Sub-$150 Solid State Drive Round-up > Benchmarks: File Copy Test - TechSpot Reviews
*static.techspot.com/articles-info/313/bench/Transfer_02.png
*static.techspot.com/articles-info/313/bench/Transfer_04.png
*static.techspot.com/articles-info/313/bench/Transfer_06.png

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buddy, don't even get bothered about any test, get one which you think would fit your budget and perform adequately and will provide good after sales services. A SSD is anyway a significant upgrade over HDD. :)

And do pay attention to that IOPS figures.

Top Bottom